Menu

If your dh was giving you $200 in Amazon gift cards for Christmas...

Mergath

...would you use half of it to get Prime?

I can't decide.  I'd order stuff periodically all year, so it's not like I'd just be using it for the other hundred dollars in items and then never again, but I've heard the two day shipping has turned into more like five or six day shipping.  We have a Roku, so I'd use the video streaming, but we already have Netflix so it wouldn't be a huge benefit.  Dh likes Netflix and wouldn't want to cancel it.

Someone tell me what to do so I can stop thinking about it, please. :P

Do you wait to combine items to get free shipping?  I used to do that, but with Prime I don't have too.

Also, Prime has videos available that NetFlix doesn't, such as Downton Abbey.

You also get a free Kindle rental per month.

Finally, they've recently made some lightning deals available earlier to Prime members.

I'm not one of the people who has trouble with 2-day shipping so to me Prime is still fantastic. I don't know if I'd spend the gift card on Prime, but then again if it's the only way I could get Prime, I might. 

Have you looked at the Prime HBO shows? We never had HBO even when we had Directv, so we're enjoying some of the shows on Prime now. We tend to watch tv shows more than movies, and we've found quite a few on Prime Instant Video. 

I didn't help, did I? I'm just as conflicted about what to do with your gift card as you are. ;)

Hmmm Prime is still 2 day, sometimes 1 day shipping for me. I once got something the same day I ordered it (though we have a fulfillment center down the street). I order enough where it's definitely worth it for me... but I wouldn't consider that part of my Christmas present either. I'd just consider it a household expense, because I'm saving a lot of money over that year.

Oh! Hard decision. But I love my Amazon prime and wouldn't be without it. We are, though, within 20 miles of a large distribution center and get packages next day most of the time. I generally don't need items that quickly, but it is nice. Ex: I broke my arm earlier this fall and am still recovering. I decided a few days ago to order gift wrap through them, as I didn't have it in me to go fight the crowds. It was amazing to have it delivered so quickly right to my doorstep.

No, I wouldn't.  I'd rather have more stuff/books/music/clothes/housewares/etc that I had to wait a week for than prime.  They never seem to have anything streaming that I want to watch.  The only way I can see getting it is if you are planning on some big item/heavy purchases--like recently we bought a new garbage disposal that was free to ship because of prime.  Otherwise, no.

Tough choice. I do love prime but I'm a procrastinator so it saves my behind regularly. And, I have no issue with the 2 day shipping. We don't have cable so the streaming is nice. Flip a coin??

Nope!  I love Prime but the cost of it comes out of our entertainment budget since we use it for streaming quite a bit.  I have so many other things I'd want to spend that $200 on for myself that I'd use it for those things and hold off with Prime till it was in the budget.

I already have prime.  I use it more than I thought I would.  sure I could wait until I had $35 in my cart to order - but it still takes a week to come, and sometimes I'd be under the minimum by a $ - and I'd have to find something else, or wait to order.  now if I forget something, I don't have to wait for another 'big' order to order it.

two-day shipping can depend upon where you live compared to the warehouse location your item is coming from.  for me  it is generally two-days. (sometimes it's even been overnight.)  If I order late in the week, it might take longer.

they do have a promo going where if you will delay ship time, there is a credit for amazon streaming.  (which is different than Netflix, so we use both.)

I would test it out to see if you like it. 

I have to add that I looove Prime if only for the shipping. I could live without the rest, but I really get my money's worth from Prime. I love that I can order a birthday present for someone and have it delivered without having to pay for extra shipping. I now have a couple things I cannot get locally on automatic delivery and I find that so useful.

I wouldn't do it for buying periodically from Amazon. We order a few times a month, watch a lot of movies and enjoy the new music service, so it's worth it for us. I'd spend the whole $200 on books.😄 if you're not sure, spend $100, get the free month and don't sign up. Sometimes they will give you some $ off.

I haven't had a problem with prime not being 2 day shipping.  I love amazon prime.  I order from amazon a lot because I know I can get it in 2 days.  It saves me a trip to the store.  I don't live in a very big town, so there are a lot of things that I buy on amazon that I can't get locally.  The older I get, the less I enjoy going out to shop and run errands.  It's just easier for me.

I'm not sure if I would use a $200 gift card to buy it though.  I think of gift cards and Christmas gifts as a time to buy something fun that I might not buy for myself otherwise.  

I am trying to remember if you can use a gift card for a prime subscription. When we did ours last year we had trouble using the gift card instead of a credit card, and I'm not 100% sure if we got the gift card to work or if we had to pay for it and use the gift card for something else.

I don't know what to tell you, but I will say that Prime has really made this holiday shopping less stressful for me. I just order things as I decide on them, rather than waiting (and having things go out of stock) until I have enough for free shipping, and then worrying about shipping time. So that's been an unexpected benefit. (And I admit that I like the Prime promotional credit too, when I don't need something quickly.).

However, two day shipping via Prime really has been two day shipping for me, even this week, and the free super saver shipping was taking eight calendar days, so Prime has been totally worth it for me.

If you think Prime will save you money throughout the year, like you only order $20 worth of stuff a month, instead of spending the extra $15 to get free shipping, then go for it.

Have you gotten a free Prime trial? I'd do that first.

AFAIK, Prime cannot be purchased with a gift card: http://www.amazon.com/prime-membership-as-gift/forum/Fx3VZRV9310TY2Z/TxDLD03RJ8DGB1/1/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=BT00CTOUNS

It might have changed since the last reply in 2013, but I think they don't allow it for auto renew purposes.

You can buy Prime with a gift card -- the catch is, you can't buy it directly for yourself this way. Instead, you have to give Prime as a gift.  I used gift cards to gift myself Prime six months ago and it worked just fine.

Do you wait to combine items to get free shipping?  I used to do that, but with Prime I don't have too.

Also, Prime has videos available that NetFlix doesn't, such as Downton Abbey.

You also get a free Kindle rental per month.

Finally, they've recently made some lightning deals available earlier to Prime members.

No, I usually just buy one thing at a time and pay the shipping.

I'm not one of the people who has trouble with 2-day shipping so to me Prime is still fantastic. I don't know if I'd spend the gift card on Prime, but then again if it's the only way I could get Prime, I might. 

Have you looked at the Prime HBO shows? We never had HBO even when we had Directv, so we're enjoying some of the shows on Prime now. We tend to watch tv shows more than movies, and we've found quite a few on Prime Instant Video. 

I didn't help, did I? I'm just as conflicted about what to do with your gift card as you are. ;)

I could talk dh into taking it out of the normal budget, but he thinks it's silly and I don't want to listen to him grumble about it. ;)

You have to own a Kindle device to get this - you can't use the Kindle app.

They do have Prime Music now too, which is great. No ads and lots of free streaming music.

Dd and I both have Kindles, so we'd be good on that front.

Mergath I am trying to pm you but it says you can not receive any new messages.

Oops!  I deleted some messages, so hopefully now it will work!  Sorry!

AFAIK, Prime cannot be purchased with a gift card: http://www.amazon.com/prime-membership-as-gift/forum/Fx3VZRV9310TY2Z/TxDLD03RJ8DGB1/1/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=BT00CTOUNS

It might have changed since the last reply in 2013, but I think they don't allow it for auto renew purposes.

Dh hasn't actually purchased the gift cards yet, so I could just put it on the debit card instead.  Thanks for the info!

I don't think I would but I cancelled my Prime earlier this year and it's not been a big deal.  We live about 1/2 hour from a smaller fulfillment center and an hour and a half from a big one and it usually took 3 sometimes 4 days for stuff to arrive, Amazon basically blamed it on USPS (which they use 80% of the time here).  I figured if I couldn't get it within 2 days and I can usually find Prime TV shows other places (downton abby is on PBS through computer or app) then it wasn't worth the price hike.  Saved me a bundle, I buy less stuff I don't really need.

*I don't doubt it was USPS, the local people are beyond slow. 

ETA: just saw where you said that you buy one thing at a time and pay shipping.... then I would say yes buy prime, you should be able to save enough to cover it.

You can buy Prime with a gift card -- the catch is, you can't buy it directly for yourself this way. Instead, you have to give Prime as a gift. I used gift cards to gift myself Prime six months ago and it worked just fine.

That's good to know. I don't understand why they have to make it difficult for people to get it for themselves, though.

I have prime under a friend's membership.  We do not get the video streaming, but that is not an issue since our internet is not fast enough to support it anyway.  I don't recall exactly how much I paid her but I want to say $10 or so.  It is so, so worth the fast shipping and to avoid a minimum purchase for free shipping. I heart it.

If you are receiving packages late, it is worth the effort to complain. I have prime because I live in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes I need things to show up by the guaranteed delivery date -- you know, the essentials, like a replacement coffee pot. :) Amazon will extend your prime membership by a month when a package is late.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117450

Note: If you received free shipping through Amazon Prime, you may be eligible for a free one-month extension when the promised delivery date isn't met. Prime Extensions (including Mom) are limited to one per free trial and 12 for an annual membership. Free Amazon Student Memberships do not qualify for this extension.

If you are receiving packages late, it is worth the effort to complain. I have prime because I live in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes I need things to show up by the guaranteed delivery date -- you know, the essentials, like a replacement coffee pot. :) Amazon will extend your prime membership by a month when a package is late.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117450

Note: If you received free shipping through Amazon Prime, you may be eligible for a free one-month extension when the promised delivery date isn't met. Prime Extensions (including Mom) are limited to one per free trial and 12 for an annual membership. Free Amazon Student Memberships do not qualify for this extension.

They did this for me a few weeks ago. I didn't ask for it; they offered it. I ordered some wall hooks with Prime, and it said they'd arrive on Saturday. I wanted them on the weekend so DH could have time to install them. They didn't arrive until Monday, and when I inquired on Sunday about what had happened, they apologized and offered an extension on Prime.

I wouldn't. I watch whatever I want on project free tv, including Downton Abbey, so no need for the Prime streaming (and we have Netflix but no cable).

I get the free 30 day trial near Christmas and use it for buying gifts with free 2 day shipping, and then cancel it. I've done it twice, this time deliberately thinking I would cancel, but still willing to be convinced. I'm not.

You can get free kindle books from your library.

It just isn't worth it to me.

I have the kindle app on my android tablet and am currently reading my free book for December. Works for me!

I'd be curious to know how you got around it. I do have a Kindle, but sometimes I want to read on my phone if I'm out and have to wait around. I can't read the KOLL book on my phone.

Kindle Owner's Lending Library (KOLL):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sr_1_1_acs_h_1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200757120&qid=1419092638&sr=8-1-acs

I'd be curious to know how you got around it. I do have a Kindle, but sometimes I want to read on my phone if I'm out and have to wait around. I can't read the KOLL book on my phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=sr_1_1_acs_h_1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200757120&qid=1419092638&sr=8-1-acs

I didn't do anything special. Just opened my kindle app, tapped "shop" then the "kindle first" tab and the 4 December selections were there labeled "buy now for free with your prime membership". Sorry I can't be of more help.

I didn't do anything special. Just opened my kindle app, tapped "shop" then the "kindle first" tab and the 4 December selections were there labeled "buy now for free with your prime membership". Sorry I can't be of more help.

Oh, that's a different program. Any Prime member is eligible for Kindle First. The Kindle Owner's Lending Library is different. With the lending library you borrow a book, whereas with Kindle First you own the book. For the KOLL you need an actual Kindle device.

Actually, it seems like we are referencing 2 different things. What I'm getting is the free preorder for the month that is 1.99 or something like that for non prime members. I haven't looked into the lending.

Oh, that's a different program. Any Prime member is eligible for Kindle First. The Kindle Owner's Lending Library is different. With the lending library you borrow a book, whereas with Kindle First you own the book. For the KOLL you need an actual Kindle device.

Actually, it seems like we are referencing 2 different things. What I'm getting is the free preorder for the month that is 1.99 or something like that for non prime members. I haven't looked into the lending.

Looks like we were posting at the same time, when we each realized what was going on with our conversation. :)

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!  I really appreciate it. :)  I think I am going to just budget for Prime out of the regular funds.  Dh will just have to grumble.

Btw, for those who asked, I did try the Prime free trial once.  But I still needed help deciding, because I am just that obsessive and indecisive. :D