Menu

DS4 and the Christmas concerto

MedicMom

For those that were following after they wanted to exclude my son for fear he would have a meltdown and ruin it:

He did perfect. A little fidgeting but no meltdowns or shoving or anything. He sang with a big smile on his face. There were other kids who cried or yelled Mommy or sat down, but they are four. Who cares; it was adorable.

But to show you how loved my son is, my coworkers and the firefighters from DH's firehouse, all big macho men DS adores, came to fill the audience. They wanted DS to have a familiar and friendly face no matter where he looked, and they packed the auditorium. I had no idea that was going to happen, and it was literally the sweetest thing.

On our way out, DS shook the principal's hand and said, very sincerely, "You have a very nice school. But it is time for me to be homeschooled, so I can learn things."

The look on her face was priceless.

Totally teary-eyed:)

I have been following as this could very well have been my dd who just turned five. PG, sensory issues, no HFA diagnosis but often has many of the same issues. She would have been devastated over something like this.

So glad it turned out well and he gets to leave in a great note. (Pun intended:)

But to show you how loved my son is, my coworkers and the firefighters from DH's firehouse, all big macho men DS adores, came to fill the audience. They wanted DS to have a familiar and friendly face no matter where he looked, and they packed the auditorium. I had no idea that was going to happen, and it was literally the sweetest thing.

Thanks for sharing the happy ending!  You've made my day! 

Yay!! I am so happy this worked out well for your son. He must have been SO proud to look out and see all that love. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. The true spirit of Christmas prevailed despite the school's efforts at exclusion.

And his comment to the principal is *priceless*!!!

Now I can go about my day with a happy heart. :) Thank you for updating.

Another teary face here. I am SO SO Happy that he lived his dream  and had a room full of support.

I have a special education degree and I was SO UPSET over what has happened to your son, both this week and at the last place too. I am SO SO happy both of you were validated and vindicated in your fight! I hope this gives the staff a LOT to think about. Not only were they breaking the law, they were just being so thoughtless and plain mean. I am SO glad your DS had a wonderful experience.

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Awesome...all of it! Yeah, that's why we homeschool, too, kiddo. ;)

(Nothing like a "don't let the door hit you on the way out" comment as you fire the school. ROFL!)

He was so sincere too. I realized he truly has no idea that "school" is supposed to be a place where you go to learn things. He believes it's a place to go play, and now he is ready to learn, so it is time for him to come home. He thought he was paying the principal a compliment.

It will probably be several years before I correct this viewpoint. :-)

He was so sincere too. I realized he truly has no idea that "school" is supposed to be a place where you go to learn things. He believes it's a place to go play, and now he is ready to learn, so it is time for him to come home. He thought he was paying the principal a compliment.

It will probably be several years before I correct this viewpoint. :-)

Nothing to correct. I think he was spot on!

Yay!  I was working a lovely physician ED shift today but once I got home, and got all of our younger kids in bed, I had to come and see if you had updated. I'm so glad the concert went well for him and perhaps his school will learn from the experience. [Ok, so the last part may be stretching it but at least their problems will no longer be your problems and that has to be an improvement for you.]

So happy for you and your son! What a wonderful end to a stressful situation! So glad the firefighters came. And your son sounds way more mature than the administration, music teacher and psychologist at the school. I hope he taught THEM something!