Menu

Let's talk about foreign language study (and specifically Spanish)

Iskra

I know there is a ton of different curricula out there, but I need your help in narrowing it down. 

We've been doing Mango Spanish online (for free through our library) for 3 years now and we are almost done.    However this is strictly conversational, there is no serious study of grammar (except for brief explanations of what is being used) , absolutely no writing, no reading.

We are ready to step it up and study this language seriously in all its details and we would like to progress towards being able to write and read fluently, not just speak.

I am looking for a serious curriculum that works towards mastery of the grammar of the language and mastery of writing and mastery of reading (being able to read Spanish books in their original  and then write about them in Spanish)

Now, my children that I've been studying Spanish with are young (9 and 7), so I'm looking for a multi-year curriculum that takes it slow, but leads toward total mastery. 

I think those of you that are not from the US should know what I'm talking about, because this is how foreign language is studied in other countries.  The curriculum starts in the elementary grades and matures in content and difficulty of concepts and depth each year and carries you through to adulthood and mastery.  You buy a new level each year and then at some point you are able to start taking offical exams from that country to certify your language mastery etc.

So does  something like this exist for Spanish?  Actually, I'm sure it does, I just need to know what it is:)

Following,because I have the same question (though we haven't done as much as you have so far). Surely there's an alternative beyond either mere exposure/fun and games or trying to do a Spanish 1 course at a much slower pace.

I've looked around the website at Descubre el Español, but they are not geared to homeschoolers--Has anybody used their stuff?

I think that Spanish for Children by Classical Academic Press is what you are looking for, but it is probably not appropriate for children ages 9 & 7,  It has loads and loads of grammar, but I think it is a little weak in vocabulary.  If I were you, I would go with it anyway, and take things very slowly.  Maybe 1/2 or 1/4 the pace suggested, and add in extra vocabulary, if you feel the need.

I have heard good things about So You Really Want to Learn Spanish, but have not seen it personally.

Following,because I have the same question (though we haven't done as much as you have so far). Surely there's an alternative beyond either mere exposure/fun and games or trying to do a Spanish 1 course at a much slower pace.

Just wondering, what would be wrong with the bolded?

Just wondering, what would be wrong with the bolded?

Well, partly that the vocabulary is off, because it's intended for a fourteen-year-old instead of a seven-year-old. The high school Spanish books I have are full of "Isabel tiene un novio" and "Susana y Ana van a la discoteca." I don't know enough Spanish myself to fix it easily (though I'm using Duolingo to make some progress). Just like when I used Pimsleur and it spent all that time reminding me how to order beer. I'm never going to be ordering a beer. Bebo agua.

An elementary student may benefit from bigger print, more room to write on a workbook page, etc.

Also, high school books presume a level of exposure to grammar terminology (reflexive, etc.) that DS will have had by sixth grade or so, but I don't necessarily want to get bogged down in now. I'm not sure how to work around that.

We are using BtB Spanish 1.  It is not slow.  We are going slowly, but the program is quite rapid.  We purchased it due to the fact it advances through high school and into AP Spanish.  At this point, my son has been doing Spanish for 6 years.  He can write simple sentences/paragraphs, read children's books (with occasional dictionary usage for specific vocabulary like bud in the apples science book), and speak/listen at a second/third grade level in his academic subjects.  BtB is great for him and it was 15 dollars with the iPad app.  We might have been able to start it younger, but it expects the student to read full sentences/paragraphs of complete Spanish and respond in complete sentences right from the beginning.  So it is not a gentle intro.  I have had 4 semesters of college Spanish which helps a bit.  There is direct grammar instruction, but lots of that grammar verbiage.

I would like to find something that progresses through readers like Sonlight.  Something with quality literature that is at the 3rd or 4th grade level.  I have found a few at thrift stores, and we use our library, but it is more just pull out book and read.  I have no way to get the really good stuff if that makes sense.

I do not know if that information about BtB helps at all.  It is fantastic for the price, and definitely teaches well, it just is a lot to jump into.

it expects the student to read full sentences/paragraphs of complete Spanish and respond in complete sentences right from the beginning.

Love this!  Is BtB an acronym?  What does it stand for?  Where do I find it? And is there writing involved?

Ok from the little bit that I can glean online,  so far I'm really liking "So you really want to learn Spanish" by Galore Park.  Thank you for suggesting that one.   The fact that is British is a definite plus for me, because I really think the Britts know how to write curriculum well in general, and especially foreign language.   Their site is down at the moment, but I'm looking forward to browsing the samples.  My only concern is that is teaching European Spanish, when I would prefer that we learn Latin American Spanish.  The differences are minor enough though, that I wonder if it even matters.

BtB stands for Breaking the Barrier.  It comes in three levels: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.  Advanced is supposedly AP preparation.  The program comes in German, French, and Spanish.  You can purchase the curriculum as separate components - audio, workbook, and textbook - or you can get it as an App for the iPad.  With the iPad, everything is embedded.  The exercises are self correcting.  Flash card and Study Cards are part of the program.  The audio you just touch the screen and it plays (as well as on the flashcards).  The App is $14.99 for the entire one year.  If you purchase it in physical copy it can get expensive.  There is a 20 dollar test packet which is separate from the App, but is included in the whole package in physical form.

For just repetitive practice of conjugating and such, I purchased super cheapo worktexts from Amazon.  Workbook in Everyday Spanish (two levels Beginner and Intermediate/Advanced) and Spanish is Fun (Levels Beginner, 1, and 2).  They are both super cheapo versions from the '80s.  Other than some silly pictures in Spanish is Fun, they are basically just like one I would pick up for much more elsewhere that is current.  I think both were around 5 dollars.

Well, partly that the vocabulary is off, because it's intended for a fourteen-year-old instead of a seven-year-old. The high school Spanish books I have are full of "Isabel tiene un novio" and "Susana y Ana van a la discoteca." I don't know enough Spanish myself to fix it easily (though I'm using Duolingo to make some progress). Just like when I used Pimsleur and it spent all that time reminding me how to order beer. I'm never going to be ordering a beer. Bebo agua.

An elementary student may benefit from bigger print, more room to write on a workbook page, etc.

Also, high school books presume a level of exposure to grammar terminology (reflexive, etc.) that DS will have had by sixth grade or so, but I don't necessarily want to get bogged down in now. I'm not sure how to work around that.

Great points.  You made me laugh.  Bebo agua, tambien.  ;)

Just for the record, the Spanish for Children (middle school) book has vocabulary that is appropriate for all ages.  But, you are correct that it does assume a level of grammar knowledge that probably isn't appropriate for early elementary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used So You Really Want..Spanish and found it very well put together, but I think it would have gone better if I had been fluent in spanish myself.

If you are fluent or at least advanced then I think it can go well teaching a language at home. So much of what happens in a classroom is practicing the conversational aspects. And SYRWTLS does expect that it is being taught in a classroom by a proficient teacher. It is also totally geared toward a school room setting.

There is the teacher CD with things like tests etc that I did not buy because I couldn't find it for less than 75$ and I just couldn't afford it. I did have the teacher's book, but it was mostly just a filled in student textbook. It didn't provide me with much, if any, teaching support.

If you are not comfortable with the language yourself you might want to focus in on curriculums that are geared for the homeschooler. 

Or, if I had it to do again, and I was really serious, I would look into paying for Skype Spanish lessons or a local tutor or something like that. I think that would have been a great option for a foreign language and money well spent.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but after Dd finished Mango Spanish, she moved on to DuoLingo Spanish, which is a little different in approach, but she's learning a lot from it. It does critique your pronunciation a bit, and there's a translation section somewhere on it too, that she likes. After she finishes that, we will do Getting Started With Spanish for the grammar breakdown.

I used So You Really Want..Spanish and found it very well put together, but I think it would have gone better if I had been fluent in spanish myself.

If you are fluent or at least advanced then I think it can go well teaching a language at home. So much of what happens in a classroom is practicing the conversational aspects. And SYRWTLS does expect that it is being taught in a classroom by a proficient teacher. It is also totally geared toward a school room setting.

There is the teacher CD with things like tests etc that I did not buy because I couldn't find it for less than 75$ and I just couldn't afford it. I did have the teacher's book, but it was mostly just a filled in student textbook. It didn't provide me with much, if any, teaching support.

If you are not comfortable with the language yourself you might want to focus in on curriculums that are geared for the homeschooler. 

Or, if I had it to do again, and I was really serious, I would look into paying for Skype Spanish lessons or a local tutor or something like that. I think that would have been a great option for a foreign language and money well spent.

I agree with the bolded.  I am currently getting Spanish lessons for myself using Skype and a tutor I found.  It's so easy to be able to be at home and not have to drive anywhere.  Kind of expensive (at least for me), but worth it.  I'm thinking of quitting in a few months though and asking my tutor if she would consider tutoring Dd instead...