Menu

3rd grade writing

silver

I'm trying to find a suitable writing program for my son for 3rd grade. For various reasons, we want him doing something more than copywork/dictation and oral narrations.

Ability wise, I'd like something that works on writing a single paragraph. He's a lefty that hates the physical act of writing, so I don't want anything that would require him to write a paragraph daily or writing 20 minutes daily or anything like that. He's thrived on the incremental approach of MM, AAS, and LOE, so I'd like it to give very incremental steps for going from idea to paragraph. He has enjoyed making up sentences for his spelling words and the writing station that AAS level 3 does; he takes it a challenge to see how many of his words could be used in a single sentence. I'm not sure how that could apply to writing a paragraph, but if anything has a similar method, he might enjoy it. I'm not opposed to workbooks if they're useful, but I don't want to use a writing workbook just for the sake of "doing writing."

Besides TC, I'd suggest looking at Killgallon's Paragraphs for Elementary School.  It has a lot of interesting exercises, many of which you can do orally if it feels like too much physical writing.  It is super incremental and really hammers on the concept of a paragraph - a group of sentences about a single topic - and it has interesting exercises like figure out the paragraphs topic, figure out which sentence doesn't belong, put a scrambled paragraph in the right order, figure out which sentence fits the paragraph, etc.  It helps a kid understand and create the pieces that are put together to create paragraphs.  From your description, it sounds like something that might really work for where he's at.

And as far as TC, if you really want to focus on paragraphs right now, I'd do it now rather than later.  It is all about learning to write good, single paragraphs.  We're using both.