Menu

Medical Alert Bracelets

For those of you who have children that require medical alert bracelets, what are your favorite kind?  I have 2 children that need to be wearing them (11 year old daughter and 19 year old son).  I went looking online a while ago but was seriously overwhelmed.  Back in my day, there was one kind (the kind that looked like dog tags or plain chain style bracelet) that you ordered at school.  Apparently now there are a bazillion kinds and the ones I kept finding seemed to require that your child's info be stored by a company instead of on the bracelet.  Neither of my children need extensive info stored like that, just a couple of lines on a bracelet.  Am I just looking in the wrong places?  They really should be wearing them, so I need to get my rear in gear.  I would like one that is more "cute" for my daughter (maybe more feminine looking than the old kind) but the old fashioned kind for my son, and one that gives you 2 or 3 lines on it for writing what the issue is.  What do you all recommend?

The medic alert system is great if you want a number to call for more information, extensive medical/medication information, doctor's names and numbers, etc.

If you just need a few simple lines then any durable bracelet should work.  You could even put an emergency phone number on it if you want.

I would get a bracelet for each of them and stick with one that LOOKS like a medical ID, not something fancy.  There was a discussion on the main board a few weeks ago and many paramedics there said that they look for medical ID bracelets, but might miss one that looks much more like fancy jewelry.

Thank you all so much!  I never thought about paramedics missing one that didn't look like a medical alert bracelet, or having doctors numbers linked to it. I knew this was the place to ask :)

My ds doesn't need anything linked (his is because he carries an epi-pen for a food allergy), but my dd would benefit from having her doctors info linked to her with a more extensive history IF there can also be writing on the bracelet.  My dd needs writing because there are some things I want paramedics to know as soon as they read it without having to call a number (like her pupils don't react to light, she has glaucoma valves in her eyes, and is aphakic).  If she's unconscious or semi-conscious, those could really confuse a paramedic and lead to wrong treatment (especially her pupils being fixed and dilated halfway).

I'll see if the Medic Alert allows both writing and a number for more information.  If not, I'll be back ;)

Medic Alert does allow writing on the bracelet along with the number.

Thanks!  I'm checking them out now :)  Oy, talk about choices, LOL!  I'll just get the standard ones, I just need to figure out what size I want the ID part to be.  There were benefits when there was one bracelet,  one necklace, and one size to the ID part ;)

For your kids, do you buy it a little larger or just buy a new one when they outgrow it?