Menu

Figure Skating moms---I need help

Ottakee

My 19dd is going to be doing figure skating for Special Olympics for the first time this year.  It is a new sport for our area and she is the only one.

She has a dress now thanks to the sport shop that donated it to her.

Now my question is about tights, undies (or lack of them), bra (or lack of that) etc.  What do they wear under the dress?  We are on a super tight budget but I want to make sure she has the proper stuff.

When I was skating we wore whatever bra we were most comfortable skating in (I always wore a regular underwire) as long as it doesn't peek out of the dress. You wear skating tights under the dress. Mondor was the brand I always wore. Like these. http://www.amazon.com/Mondor-Footed-Figure-Skating-Tights/dp/B001KARL5G(Though I have no idea if that's the cheapest you can get them.) They are different from fashion tights or dance tights. Undies or no is an individual comfort thing, you would just try to avoid indentions. (Though tights often do that anyway.)

What does she normally skate in? You might want to try to get as close to that as possible so she is comfortable out there. 

I am currently typing with sticky fingers from the glue decorating my son's costume for the ice Show this weekend. DD's dress is next!  For competition the rule* is no undies and no or flesh colored bra. My dd refuses to skate without undies so we bought flesh colored high-cut briefs for her. They've never shown with a costume. DD is sprouts a rather large set of 'books' and it isn't always possible to get bookshelves that don't show. So, we have purchased a sleeveless, flesh colored leo that covers a regular bra. She wears her costume over that.  But, generally most of the girls do without a bra if they can manage it.

There are skate tights that are made to go over the boot and hook on the bottom. They are heavier than regular tights and are better able to stand up to spills on the ice. There are also skate tights that go in the boot - it depends on what your daughter prefers.

Best of luck to your daughter. My kids love ice skating!

ETA: * by rule I mean commonly accepted practice. It's not a requirement. However it is generally accepted that undies not show.

One more bit of advice - have her practice in her competition dress before the actual event. Lots of mishaps are avoided by knowing how the costume behaves on the ice.  Just a few weeks ago at the USFS Sectionals my son and his partner got on the ice. She was wearing a new dress - very similar to her old one. However the skirt on this one was just a fraction longer and while doing a drape, my son almost skated on the skirt. Oops! We should have know better but it slipped through the crack. ALWAYS make sure the costume doesn't get in the way of the performance.

Thanks for all of the advice.

She is VERY VERY low level right now.  We are just getting the gliding part down and doing the in and out thing to go backwards.  The competition will be against other special needs athletes and she will be in a group at her level.

I just want her to look good.  

I think the undies will work with what she has and her dress as it is a very modest cut with a skirt.  We need to get the tights and check out the bra.  She is very tiny overall but about a 28C for a bra so we will see.  If they go without, do they do anything to avoid the "headlight" look?

Horseback riding in jeans and a hoodie is much easier :-)

Is her costume lined. That would help with 'headlights'. Otherwise, if you are most comfortable with a bra, look for a sport bra that will be covered by her costume or for a bra with re-arrangeable straps.  You might be able to get a cheap bra and replace the strap with flesh color one ( look in the underwear area at Walmart. Straps are a few dollars.)