Menu

Sony hacker/The Interview

Mrs Mungo

Have we talked about this? This is really weird, right?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/multiple-theaters-have-decided-not-to-screen-the-interview-w?s=mobile

Sony has pulled the movie "The Interview" (which looks like a comedy in Seth Rogan's usual style) due to a hacker attack/releasing of company info and terrorist threats.

Were the terrorist threats that solid or did the hackers dig something up that Sony doesn't want brought to light?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the preview several weeks ago and thought it was pretty gutsy to portray a sitting leader like that in a movie. I wonder if they just seriously don't want another movie theater incident like Batman, or worse. To remove it from all theaters? I don't know. It was set to release on Christmas? Can you imagine the horrible PR and liability if something did happen, especially on Christmas Day. 

I would rather see a movie company err on the side of caution, but this might be too cautious? Not quite sure how to feel. Maybe no one wants to be that one theater that's showing it. 

I have mixed feelings about this. One the one hand, I hate to let hackers have this kind of power. On the other hand, it's hard to defend a move that looked stupid. (I don't normally enjoy these kinds of movies, like Dumb and Dumber, but I know other do)

I have no mixed feelings. When the terrorists come for our crappy entertainment, I say it's time to draw a line in the sand.

I don't remember ever hearing that NK had a terrorist presence in the US. Perhaps they do. But to me it seems like they aren't really in a position to carry out a threat of violence.

I do believe they've made it clear that they can hack into sensitive information. I agree that's Sony's real fear.

My question is, what should the US gov response be? Seems like an international crime, at the very least. What should/will the repercussions be?

I think we should just cut them off the entire internets if they are going to hack people everytime they get butthurt about something.

I know you're joking, but, have you seen the photos of North Korea from space? It's crazy.  They most definitely do not have internet. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-korea-shrouded-in-darkness-in-stunning-new-photo-from-space-station/

I figured they pulled it because they were like 'Well, who's gonna go see this now ? We're not gonna make the $$ out of it we were anticipating.'

But maybe that's just cynical.

I would think if anything that MORE people would want to see the film that apparently was even more offensive to North Korea than Team America. It's got to have been a discussion generator. Whatever Sony is covering up must be way worse than Joel McHale getting a free TV or three pages of hahahahahahahaha (sorry, so far, these released emails have been really amusing.)

I would think if anything that MORE people would want to see the film that apparently was even more offensive to North Korea than Team America. It's got to have been a discussion generator. Whatever Sony is covering up must be way worse than Joel McHale getting a free TV or three pages of hahahahahahahaha (sorry, so far, these released emails have been really amusing.)

I can't imagine how anything could be more offensive than Team America.

I thought several of the emails were very funny.

See, Farrar, that is what I was thinking. There must be something way worse than a producer whining about Angelie Jolie for them to have pulled the movie entirely.

NK as a whole may not have Internet, but the tiny percentage of its people who are controlling the wealth and power in that country could be cut off.

I agree that it will be interesting to see the US response.

And make no mistake, I don't think I have ever gone to see a Seth Rogan movie at the theater or purposefully watched one at home, lol.

Eta: I have never even seen Team America. I generally cannot watch movies that feature situations that the shame of would cause me to seriously consider ritual suicide as a viable option.

See, Farrar, that is what I was thinking. There must be something way worse than a producer whining about Angelie Jolie for them to have pulled the movie entirely.

NK as a whole may not have Internet, but the tiny percentage of its people who are controlling the wealth and power in that country could be cut off.

I agree that it will be interesting to see the US response.

And make no mistake, I don't think I have ever gone to see a Seth Rogan movie at the theater or purposefully watched one at home, lol.

Eta: I have never even seen Team America. I generally cannot watch movies that feature situations that the shame of would cause me to seriously consider ritual suicide as a viable option.

Seth Rogan is in Kung Fu Panda and Monsters vs Aliens. I did watch those.

I haven't seen Team America... in its entirety. But I'll own not hating Seth Rogen. I mean, Freaks and Geeks, people. And Knocked Up. He's made some dreck, but he's also made some funny stuff. But I will admit I like the lowbrow, the middle brow, and the high brow. I enjoy all the brows.

What could Sony possibly be covering up though? Like, seriously. It's worse that vaguely racist remarks in private emails, apparently. Worse than criticizing Angelina Jolie. It must be bad. And what's the point of trying to hide it at this point? You know it's coming out.

I haven't seen Team America... in its entirety. But I'll own not hating Seth Rogen. I mean, Freaks and Geeks, people. And Knocked Up. He's made some dreck, but he's also made some funny stuff. But I will admit I like the lowbrow, the middle brow, and the high brow. I enjoy all the brows.

LOL, I am not anti-lowbrow anything. There are just some things that are painful for me to watch. I think we lived in Germany when F&G was on; I never saw it.

What could Sony possibly be covering up though? Like, seriously. It's worse that vaguely racist remarks in private emails, apparently. Worse than criticizing Angelina Jolie. It must be bad. And what's the point of trying to hide it at this point? You know it's coming out.

Exactly. It is curious.

I didn't watch Team America either, I can't watch movies where puppets have intimate relations. That freaks me out.

I don't think I am his target audience, we have different humors I think. I do think a lot of really stupid things are funny but I don't find some of his stuff funny.

I don't think Sony had much of a choice but to cancel the theater release. Seven cinema chains said they wouldn't carry it. The liability and potential costs for the cinemas would be too great. Invariably, if there were to be an attack, even from a random gunman not affiliated with NK in anyway, the victims or their families could viably claim the theater and Sony should have foreseen the risk.

Sony is already facing two lawsuits from their employees for not protecting their data well enough.

Now they can just release it on demand or Amazon though. I bet a lot of people would rent it to see what the hell the fuss is about.

Here are my thoughts that I posted on my FB page (and at Seth Rogen's fan website) after seeing the preview for The Interview. 

"Open thank you note to Seth Rogen

When we adopted internationally we anticipated having conversations with our adopted child that we knew we would never have with our biological kids. What we didn't know was just how odd those conversations could be and what strange things would prompt them.

Hope (now 9) was born in South Korea. (You may already know where I'm going with this.) It's my privilege as an adoptive parent to make her as familiar with her ethnic heritage and her birth country's cultural norms as possible. For some reason I can't explain and don't understand, she wants to talk geopolitics as it relates to the Koreas when the two of us have tea parties together. It's been like this for years.

She knows the basic differences between the political structures of the Koreas. She knows that the people of North Korea have been oppressed by their dictators for generations now. She knows they, like everyone else on earth, deserve to live in a free society. She has asked repeatedly why someone hasn't killed that guy yet.

When my husband told us about your movie, Kim Jung Un's response to it and your response to him, you became her hero for a while. I wish you could've heard her squeals of joy as she reveled in the idea that not only did you make such a movie, but that Kim KNOWS you made it, it pissed him off and there's nothing he can do about it. For a couple of hours every. single. person. watching it will be in on the insult. No one deserves it more. She can hardly wait to be old enough to join in. I look forward to sharing that experience with her years from now. I'm grateful to you and your colleagues for providing the vehicle for that.

Lisa"

I'm terribly disappointed about the movie being pulled, because who wouldn't want a front row seat watching someone defy a tyrant?  But can you really blame the theaters for opting out?  No one wants to host what might be a tragedy if it's a credible threat.  I think anyone walking into a movie theater knowing about the threat is responsible for their own choices, but we live in a sue happy, blame someone else, culture and you know theaters would take heat in a civil suit and in the media if something happened.

I don't think Sony had much of a choice but to cancel the theater release. Seven cinema chains said they wouldn't carry it. The liability and potential costs for the cinemas would be too great. Invariably, if there were to be an attack, even from a random gunman not affiliated with NK in anyway, the victims or their families could viably claim the theater and Sony should have foreseen the risk.

Sony is already facing two lawsuits from their employees for not protecting their data well enough.

Now they can just release it on demand or Amazon though. I bet a lot of people would rent it to see what the hell the fuss is about.

I agree. Also, this film wasn't on my radar, I probably would never have seen it. Now, however, I will definitely watch it when it becomes available. And I don't usually do low brow (excepting some Adam Sandler. Happy Gilmore slays me...).

Alamo Drafthouse In Dallas/Fort Worth To Show 'Team America' Instead Of 'The Interview'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/17/alamo-drafthouse-team-america_n_6345156.html

AHH! I am dying!

"We'll have subtitles for all the songs and all of our favorite quotes, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to scream out 'AMERICA! #&%$ YEAH!' at the top of your lungs. And yeah, we will have American flags, red white and blue streamers, balloons, and more for everyone. And THAT is how true American heroes will be celebrating this year, but if you want to let the terrorists win...well, that's your prerogative."

Mitt Romney has a good idea.   Sony could release the movie on the internet and request a $5 donation to fight Ebola. 

Sure it wasn't a publicity stunt?? Sure everyone is going to watch it now.

That was my thought when the news of all this first started -- that it was a bizarre (and perhaps brilliant) publicity stunt.  Now I don't think so.

I think another reason the theaters refused to air the movie is that they didn't want to do anything that might keep people away from other movies (Unboken in particular).

I want to know whose bright idea it was to have it about a sitting leader of a country hostile to ours with a terrible human rights record.  How did this get past the pitch session?  When I saw the trailer (before all of this came to light), I thought "Way to bait the North Korean government.  Are you inviting an terrorist attack?"  Not too surprised that it has come down to this.  Sad, but not surprised. 

I thought this was a good article:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/05/sony-pictures-hack-north-korea-cyber-army

North Korea does have supporters here in the US, so it's possible that some sort of threat could have caused Sony to back down. My guess would be a threat aimed at children or family members of Sony bosses.

Maybe there's a connection to Anonymous as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_events_associated_with_Anonymous

Maybe Sony faked the movie and only produced the previews.  :)

I want to know whose bright idea it was to have it about a sitting leader of a country hostile to ours with a terrible human rights record.  How did this get past the pitch session?  When I saw the trailer (before all of this came to light), I thought "Way to bait the North Korean government.  Are you inviting an terrorist attack?"  Not too surprised that it has come down to this.  Sad, but not surprised. 

Because it wouldn't be funny if it was about our friends. We might make fun of France sometimes but I am not sure as many people would laugh if it was about killing President Hollande, I am not sure most Americans even know who he is. If it was the UK they would have made the movie about killing *their own* leaders. :lol: