Menu

There is hope...(executive function)

quark

Today is DS's finals for math at the CC. I have stayed completely hands off (other than driving him and helping him purchase his textbook and notebooks).

I was fretting all along about my absent minded guy handling things but he has really shown me what he is capable of when given the chance and freedom to soar away from a usually home-based learning venue. Not only did he plan his study time, but also has been sharpening pencils, checking that he has the multiple choice scantron paper in stock in his backpack, emailing instructor AND visiting him at office hours, along with other things (that he normally forgets) and doing practice exams and timing himself all on his own.

Not a brag...just a huge sigh of relief and hopefully, a message to others with younger ones like mine...if you notice how uneven they are and worry about when executive function will catch up.

I think this is due to him doing something that is meaningful to him and being allowed independence he craves and probably influenced too by that maturity that comes when learning with older students (I guess?). And having a checklist for some fo the day to day stuff has also helped a lot.

There's hope!

Thanks guys! Absent-mindedness remains of course...(he thought the chicken I had cooked for lunch was fish, even after eating it...sigh...and I know it wasn't that badly cooked lol) but at least I see more glimpses now of what else he is capable of, and need not be so much of a worry-wart.