Menu

CLEP for end of course exam for high school bio?

Dmmetler

DD10 completed Bio 1 with Campbell's with her mentor this fall, and will be doing Vertebrate anatomy/Physiology this Spring.  I'd kind of like something to show that she's completed high school bio so that if she wants to start DE or go to college early, she has verification beyond "mommy said she did it". As far as I can tell, AP exams aren't readily available for homeschooled kids in my area, and I also think she'd do better on a test without a written free-response section because handwriting is still something that is hard for her to manage under time pressure (her physical motor skills are age appropriate or a little below).

Would the CLEP be a reasonable end of course exam, not to try to get credit out of college bio, but to get credit for high school bio? It looks very, very easy to take CLEP tests at the local community college. If so, is there anything specific she should review?

Accessibility, mostly. The SAT isn't common here, so there aren't many places that give the subject tests. Even the SAT General test is only available on some test dates. The community college 10 minutes from home has a test center that's practically walk in for the CLEP tests.

CLEP is much simpler here too.  Pay fee, walk up to computer, test, get score immediately.  Best of all, no handwriting!

I have found that it also works well for opting out of CC classes.  Our community college just started accepting AP classes, but they have accepted CLEP classes forever.  When Ds wanted to fast track a Bachelors, he could opt out of a full year of his AA using CLEP classes.  I do not know if that exists everywhere, but it might help if she does do DE to not have to sit through Bio 101.

Our library has a big-old CLEP book.  As far as I remember it has practice tests for all subjects inside.  The only thing Ds had issues with is feeling like the questions did not cover the specifics.  He would read a question and have difficulty with the concept of the "best answer listed" instead of the answer that he would like to use that is ultra specific.

The only thing Ds had issues with is feeling like the questions did not cover the specifics.  He would read a question and have difficulty with the concept of the "best answer listed" instead of the answer that he would like to use that is ultra specific.

Which is a really important thing to learn before there are really high-stakes tests coming along!

• 2 weeks later...

CLEP will only carry weight at less selective colleges and most of those colleges will require little in the way out of outside validation anyway. That said, if she enjoys testing the CLEP certainly won't hurt and it sounds like she is ready to do very well.  If she's looking for access to college biology opportunities the AP or SAT subject test would carry a lot more weight than the CLEP. The SAT subject test is similar to the CLEP in that it is a shorter exam and is all multiple choice.

As far as AP tests for homeschoolers, often public and private schools will let homeschoolers sit for exams. They may not advertise that fact, but in most areas students can find some place to take the more popular exams and that includes AP bio.  While the AP does require free response writing there are HG/PG  kids who have taken it at that age and done well though so I would not rule it out without a practice exam. We found along with SAT/ACT, AP results were the most effective way to demonstrate readiness for early college options.