Menu

AOPS classes: PreA2 or Algebra 1

madteaparty

As background, my DS is not particularly gifted but we accelerate. He has finished SM 5, done selected Chapters in MM6a and all of MM7a. We are now completing Lial's Prealgebra and are about half way through and on track to finish right around the time AOPS classes start up again in Feb. He also works a little bit in Alcumus, independently, (I have him work on something until it turns green). He is doing OK there, not great, not horrible.

I will put him in a math class this next semester, and it needs to be a semester-long one (long story but I won't be picking his classes for about 6 months next year--he is going abroad). Hence AOPS, even though it is not my first choice (I am more a Foerster gal).

My question is, do I put him in Pre-A 2 or Algebra 1? He is not exactly excellent in Alcumus, so I am certain he won't be bored in Pre-A2, and further, I am not in a huge rush to get to Algebra (especially because he will probably take a break from Math acceleration in the 6 months he is abroad). On the other hand, it feels a bit arbitrary (the topics in PreA 2 are not ones he is weak or anything, and they are completley out of "order" from Lials).

I will obviously do the placement test but we are not there yet. I guess I could try Algebra and if he is completely overwhelmed we step back to PreA2 if there's room in a class.

I'd suggest AOPS prealgebra (1 or 2). AOPS is hard, and very different from other texts/classes. Softer introduction to AOPS is better.

I'd also strongly suggest trying AOPS prealgebra textbook first (before the class start), from ch. 1 - the full load: problems in the text, exercises, challenge problems.

"He also works a little bit in Alcumus, independently, (I have him work on something until it turns green)."

BTW, you could try requiring the bar to turn blue ('mastery' of the topic) - in my experience, it may make a difference for future topics (YMMV). (In any case, alcumus is a great tool.)

I'd have him take the Do You Need This?  post test quiz for Pre-Alg 2. The post tests will give you more insight into proper class placement than their pre tests. Can he do most of those problems comfortably? If not, I'd place him in the pre-algebra 2 class. Keep in mind that their alg 1 class moves super fast, & a lot of the kids in it will have finished the prealgebra sequence first. My dd just finished teaching alg 1 for AoPS recently, and this is what she tells me she advises parents.

I'd have him take the Do You Need This?  post test quiz for Pre-Alg 2. The post tests will give you more insight into proper class placement than their pre tests. Can he do most of those problems comfortably? If not, I'd place him in the pre-algebra 2 class. Keep in mind that their alg 1 class moves super fast, & a lot of the kids in it will have finished the prealgebra sequence first. My dd just finished teaching alg 1 for AoPS recently, and this is what she tells me she advises parents.

Thank you so much! Will do.

I do not know a ton about Lials, so this might be moot.  One thing I really like about the AoPS approach is that it focuses on proofs instead of the algorithm.  That is a bit of a tricky step from many kids.  If he has not been shown much proof work, you might want to bulk up on that.  Maybe taking many things he already knows and dissecting them down into the proof. 

We just flew back through decimals with my son (which used to really freak him out for some reason) using exponents of ten.  It clicked much better this time and he is taking off.  No more computational errors and panicking.  I was taught about the base ten system. I was taught decimals and moving the decimal point with factors of ten, but I was never shown that decimals equal working with all numbers as multiplication problems with exponents of ten.  It is the basic proof for the algorithm, and everything makes sense, but it was a great way to really explain the foundations.  Such proofs are sometimes scary for kids who understand the algorithm, but have never had someone take the actual algorithm apart into the proof.

Lials might do this.  If it does, just tune me out :)