Menu

Bearing Away and Audio Discrimination

I've been using Bearing Away with my 6 year old ds who has an expressive language delay.  He knew all his letters/sounds, but needed more work on blending and other things before moving to the next level of what we were using (Alphabet Island - a great program, just not a good fit for him).  Bearing Away has been excellent for him and (to my surprise) has been a great help with audio discrimination as well.  I just love how it (and Apples and Pears A) has the students write sounds from dictation (there are rows of letters for the student to find the sound and then trace, so it's great for those like my son who are also behind in motor skills)!  It's been great practice for him, and it's been reassuring for me (he always gets them right).

Thank you so much to those who introduced me to the Dancing Bears series!  It has been such a great fit for him, and without this board I never would have found it.  This year has been so much better than I thought it would be :)

That is great.  I love those programs.  I had the privilege to meet the authors of the programs before when they visited our little town when they were in the states.

If you want a reading program with more stories that works very well with Bearing Away and Apples and Pears, check out www.iseesam.com and www.3rsplus.com  I used those reading books along with the other 2 programs for my girls.

That is great.  I love those programs.  I had the privilege to meet the authors of the programs before when they visited our little town when they were in the states.

If you want a reading program with more stories that works very well with Bearing Away and Apples and Pears, check out www.iseesam.com and www.3rsplus.com  I used those reading books along with the other 2 programs for my girls.

How neat!  Hilary has been so helpful!

I've looked at the I See Sam books off and on, but haven't bought them yet (my ds is nowhere near ready for them).  I was thinking about getting the color ones because they'd be more visually appealing to him, but they are more expensive (and I don't think they are all in color yet).  So...I wait, LOL.  I bought the readers that go with Dancing Bears (they are only on the British site, not the US) so my daughter could read them.  They are so funny!!  I was hoping the second set would be out soon, but Hilary said they weren't at the top of her to do list.

If he can blend at all, he could start the I See Sam readers.  They start with just 5 sounds blended into the 3 words: I see Sam.  We spent a week on each book in the beginning and spent WEEKS learning that the letter I was the WORD *I*........seriously we did .  Reading was so painfully slow that I would doze off between words.......  That said, she is now reading quite well.

If he can blend at all, he could start the I See Sam readers.  They start with just 5 sounds blended into the 3 words: I see Sam.  We spent a week on each book in the beginning and spent WEEKS learning that the letter I was the WORD *I*........seriously we did .  Reading was so painfully slow that I would doze off between words.......  That said, she is now reading quite well.

At this point I'd like him to have more practice blending before starting them.  I'll probably wait until the curriculum moves from "Bearly Reading" to beginning reading.