Menu

Excellent 22min video on Sugar, obesity, health, etc

ktgrok

Honestly, even normal weight people should watch this. (there are more normal weight people with metabolic syndrome than obese people!). Excellent information,and honestly, it made me cry a bit. Hearing somene else say that the behavior follows the biochemistry, not the other way around, made me cry. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was a really good video.  I agree that the behavior follows the biochemistry.  But I'll also note that there is plenty of non-sugared food in the market to choose from (even if I myself make poor choices and don't always opt for them).

Yes and no. Depends on what market you are at. If you live in a food dessert and are buying at the local convenience store, not so much. Where I am it is hit and miss depending on where I shop. I was SO ANGRY when i dumped a can of diced tomatoes into a recipe a while back and realized it tasted sweet. Yup, there was sugar in the canned tomatoes!! And they weren't labeled as sweet or something. Just regular old store brand tomatoes. Yuck.

But I am avoiding it now, and reading labels, etc. It's a pain in the neck. I mean, who expects sugar in a frozen veggie mix, or canned tomatoes, or whatever?

I'm wondering where the comments are about his recommending more government involvement in regulating or taxing the food industry, which is what this was about more than education on sugar, IMO. We already know that too much sugar isn't good, yet we eat it anyway both knowingly and unknowingly. In Canada our goverment is already "in our kitchen" regulating and taxing our food. I don't see Americans voting to have more government regulations in food.  I also can't imagine Amercians supporting higher taxes on food with sugar.  No matter how strong a medical and legal link there is between sugar and health, I think Americans would probably prefer to have the option to make their own decisions no matter what the risks.

Maybe my perceptions are wrong, though. Do you think Americans would support more government involvement here?  

You know what's really hard to find without a substantial amount of sugar?  Bread, of all things. 

You can find tomatoes without sugar if you buy the boxed tomatoes, but they are not in all stores.  I don't know if some cans of tomatoes are sugarless or not; I haven't bought canned in a long time.

Yes and no. Depends on what market you are at. If you live in a food dessert and are buying at the local convenience store, not so much. Where I am it is hit and miss depending on where I shop. I was SO ANGRY when i dumped a can of diced tomatoes into a recipe a while back and realized it tasted sweet. Yup, there was sugar in the canned tomatoes!! And they weren't labeled as sweet or something. Just regular old store brand tomatoes. Yuck.

But I am avoiding it now, and reading labels, etc. It's a pain in the neck. I mean, who expects sugar in a frozen veggie mix, or canned tomatoes, or whatever?

No, they wouldn't.  Government regulation of sugar here would go over like a lead fart.  I sorta see why, because while I do agree with the doc that sugar is as addictive and as sick-inducing as alcohol, if the behavior follows the biochemistry, people are going to be seeking out the sugar to maintain what is already in their bloodstreams.  IOW, they'll add the sugar back in.  I'm not sure how to snap the branch of that vicious cycle, but I suspect this is where limited meds might be of help.

I'm wondering where the comments are about his recommending more government involvement in regulating or taxing the food industry, which is what this was about more than education on sugar, IMO. We already know that too much sugar isn't good, yet we eat it anyway both knowingly and unknowingly. In Canada our goverment is already "in our kitchen" regulating and taxing our food. I don't see Americans voting to have more government regulations in food.  I also can't imagine Amercians supporting higher taxes on food with sugar.  No matter how strong a medical and legal link there is between sugar and health, I think Americans would probably prefer to have the option to make their own decisions no matter what the risks.

Maybe my perceptions are wrong, though. Do you think Americans would support more government involvement here?  

Depends on the state. Overall as a country, no, we will not go for it. I know I would be fighting it tooth and nail. I think he is wrong about that though. I think it can be done without government intervention. The American people really WANT to live healthier. Especially if it is something easy. Look at high fructose corn syrup in soda. The people said we don't want it. We now have sugar option there instead. Small step. But and important principle, the people demanded it be provided, and it was. I think we are already moving away from sugar. I can't tell you how many people I know who are following a paleo or similar type of diet. That is pretty much just an attempt to get away from sugar. The problem is the affordability of this type of diet. I don't see that getting any better. And, yet, people are doing it anyway. 

There is a longer movie, with more of him (and others) in it, called Fed Up. You can rent it on Amazon Instant Video. It goes more into the kind of regulations he means. He isn't looking to ban it, but he wants clearer labeling (like putting an actual percentage for the sugar column on lables...I had never realized that sugar was the only one without a percentage by it!) and not marketing to kids. He wants to outlaw junk food advertising to kids the way we did with tobacco ads that targeted kids. 

The movie was really good, and I ended up assigning it to my teen as part of his health curriculum. 

There is a longer movie, with more of him (and others) in it, called Fed Up. You can rent it on Amazon Instant Video. It goes more into the kind of regulations he means. He isn't looking to ban it, but he wants clearer labeling (like putting an actual percentage for the sugar column on lables...I had never realized that sugar was the only one without a percentage by it!) and not marketing to kids. He wants to outlaw junk food advertising to kids the way we did with tobacco ads that targeted kids. 

It would be interested to discover how much stores make for placing candy right at child level by the cash. And marketing and placement of "holiday" candy at Halloween, Christmas, and Easter must be big business. 

I've noticed a difference in the placement of processed baked goods throughout American grocery stores on end isles.  I'd suspect that marketing research has shown that people notice and buy these products on impulse more this way. In Canada, if you avoid the bakery section, you never see those items - except for Walmart grocery stores that seem to follow a more American organization of the store - and I can never find what I want in these stores!

Not only are the candy/cookies at eye level to kids, but they are EVERYWHERE. Even in the office supply store, the craft store, etc. You can't get out of Joanne Fabrics without walking past shelf after shelf of random candy. Or check out at office max or Comp USA without seeing a cooler of soda and bags of gummy bears and such. Which I hadn't thought about before, but is crazy.

Not only are the candy/cookies at eye level to kids, but they are EVERYWHERE. Even in the office supply store, the craft store, etc. You can't get out of Joanne Fabrics without walking past shelf after shelf of random candy. Or check out at office max or Comp USA without seeing a cooler of soda and bags of gummy bears and such. Which I hadn't thought about before, but is crazy.

That's true. I'd forgotten about the candy at the office supply stores.  Some toy stores are bad, too, with what is obviously children's candy at the check-outs. I always felt that this was a really low blow on the store's part. I try to avoid bringing my kids to these toy stores and shop at ones that don't do this.

The problem here is the sugar lobby. They're powerful. Do a search on them and you can read all about their influence.  They've been going strong for many years. Maybe this will change over the years but I don't know.

http://www.newsweek.com/report-sugar-lobby-threatens-organizations-buries-science-health-effects-256529

Hell no I wouldn't support that.

I am not afraid of it happening though because the government is part of the problem.  For example, the government funded free breakfast at my local schools is Big G cereals.  These are all very sugary.  I won't say I'm better because I buy them sometimes (not for me though).  It's inexpensive and easy.

So how can the government go from doing that to telling me I need to pay a sugar tax?

General Mills tells us what is healthy. 

The government's big "promotion" is fat.  Everything needs to be fat free.  (Bull)  General Mills doesn't need much fat to make their candy breakfasts. 

I havent found veggie cost to be the problem. For example a bag of spinach is less costly than a bag of potato chips. It is more that some people didnt grow up eating veggies, or they dont know how to prepare them tastefully. Or they feel they can indulge their desires and eat what they please, since the metformin and the vitamins will, in their mind, cancel out any bad effects of the daily sugar and carb overload.

I have found that the farmers markets in manhattan are much better in terms of price and quality than out here by the farm. Carrots there, for ex, are ginormous cartoon sized carrots.

I would appreciate it if the stores would stop trying to sell shriveled up veggies that are well past their prime, or are molding.there is so much of that here that people are going back to gardening.

See this isn't my experience.  I just looked up spinach.  Store brand 10oz $2.99.  But store brand 18oz chips are $2.79.  I'm not suggesting that it is better to eat chips, but spinach is not really cheaper.  I could probably feel satisfied all day eating the bag of chips.  I'd be starved after the spinach.  Again, not suggesting chips are healthier, but healthy foods aren't always cheaper.  They also require preparation which adds to the cost and time.  Chips..I just open the bag.

I can see why people often opt for crap. 

I have lousy luck gardening.   I did get a lot of carrots this year.  That was great.  But that's about it.  We planted many other things.  Too much rain.  Got cold too fast.  Lot of stuff never made it.  I do agree that the stores sell crap produce.  I throw out more produce that goes bad in a day or two so it was probably really old when I bought it.  Which is pretty crazy because I've had carrots in my fridge from my garden (picked in August) that are still crisp as the day I picked them.  So if I end up with old dead carrots in the store, are they like half a year old or something?!

Honestly, even normal weight people should watch this. (there are more normal weight people with metabolic syndrome than obese people!). Excellent information,and honestly, it made me cry a bit. Hearing somene else say that the behavior follows the biochemistry, not the other way around, made me cry. 

I watched a little of it but had to turn it up to 100 sound level!  Finally, I couldn't hear him at all, so there must be something wrong with that video or my computer's replay of that video (no, I do not have poor hearing). 

Anyway, it sounded as if governmental regulation is important to him.

I think we need to take responsibility for ourselves and not buy that fake food crap to the point that they can't sell anymore.  That is how to get change.  There is some encroachment there into Big Grocery, with all of the health food stores.  They are pretty expensive though.

I know that stuff kills.

Who is this guy?  I know those TED talks are done by people who just want to talk about some issue, but I've never heard of him.  I would have expected him to be thin since he is talking about this stuff, but maybe he used to be really large and has lost a lot of weight.  I don't know.  Again, couldn't hear the video, just mumbling, even on high volume.  Off too Youtube to see what's up. 

See this isn't my experience.  I just looked up spinach.  Store brand 10oz $2.99.  But store brand 18oz chips are $2.79.  I'm not suggesting that it is better to eat chips, but spinach is not really cheaper.  I could probably feel satisfied all day eating the bag of chips.  I'd be starved after the spinach.  Again, not suggesting chips are healthier, but healthy foods aren't always cheaper.  They also require preparation which adds to the cost and time.  Chips..I just open the bag.

I can see why people often opt for crap. 

I have lousy luck gardening.   I did get a lot of carrots this year.  That was great.  But that's about it.  We planted many other things.  Too much rain.  Got cold too fast.  Lot of stuff never made it.  I do agree that the stores sell crap produce.  I throw out more produce that goes bad in a day or two so it was probably really old when I bought it.  Which is pretty crazy because I've had carrots in my fridge from my garden (picked in August) that are still crisp as the day I picked them.  So if I end up with old dead carrots in the store, are they like half a year old or something?!

Eww.  Now that is a horrible thought. 

Hell no I wouldn't support that.

I am not afraid of it happening though because the government is part of the problem.  For example, the government funded free breakfast at my local schools is Big G cereals.  These are all very sugary.  I won't say I'm better because I buy them sometimes (not for me though).  It's inexpensive and easy.

So how can the government go from doing that to telling me I need to pay a sugar tax?

General Mills tells us what is healthy. 

The government's big "promotion" is fat.  Everything needs to be fat free.  (Bull)  General Mills doesn't need much fat to make their candy breakfasts. 

That's so, so wrong.  We actually need healthy fats, not low fat.  Everyone I know who has lost weight started eating more fat, and dropped chemical diet garbage. 

Yep, this is exactly what I was going to say.

And then I wonder, how much nutritional value is left in an old piece of produce?

Might not be so deadly to eat the vitamin enriched candy cereal.

Brawndo!! What plants crave!!

That's so, so wrong.  We actually need healthy fats, not low fat.  Everyone I know who has lost weight started eating more fat, and dropped chemical diet garbage. 

Good luck getting people to agree on what constitutes healthy fat.  That's another issue.

So kids get skim milk on their Lucky Charms.  And some juice.  So that's a nice sugar nearly fat free breakfast.  Awesome....

Good luck getting people to agree on what constitutes healthy fat.  That's another issue.

So kids get skim milk on their Lucky Charms.  And some juice.  So that's a nice sugar nearly fat free breakfast.  Awesome....

Laughing at your sugar breakfast.  Ugh.  Back when I didn't know anything about healthy eating, I remember responding to my doctor that I had had OJ and bran flakes for breakfast, and he said, "That's a LOT of sugar!"  I thought he was nuts, until I actually began paying attention. 

Now I eat eggs.  Lots of eggs.  Have perfect blood levels on everything since I changed my diet and I'm in my 50's (had CBC and a lot of tests a couple of months ago because of surgery).  Much better than 10-15 years ago. 

Yes, I know that they argue about what "healthy" fat is....but I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing.  The proof is in the pudding, as they say. 

Laughing at your sugar breakfast.  Ugh.  Back when I didn't know anything about healthy eating, I remember responding to my doctor that I had had OJ and bran flakes for breakfast, and he said, "That's a LOT of sugar!"  I thought he was nuts, until I actually began paying attention. 

Now I eat eggs.  Lots of eggs.  Have perfect blood levels on everything since I changed my diet and I'm in my 50's (had CBC and a lot of tests a couple of months ago because of surgery).  Much better than 10-15 years ago. 

Yes, I know that they argue about what "healthy" fat is....but I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing.  The proof is in the pudding, as they say. 

Yeah the sugar in orange juice is comparable to the amount in soda. 

I'm surprised your doc said that though.  I still come across a lot of docs who either don't comment on food at all (probably better that way) and those who are still in the anti fat camp. 

And then there is the vague camp of "everything in moderation".  Whatever that means. 

Yeah the sugar in orange juice is comparable to the amount in soda. 

I'm surprised your doc said that though.  I still come across a lot of docs who either don't comment on food at all (probably better that way) and those who are still in the anti fat camp. 

And then there is the vague camp of "everything in moderation".  Whatever that means. 

Yeah, he's cool.  That's why I drive 45 minutes to see him.  He was my mother's doctor too, and used to call me every single morning to report on her condition when she was hospitalized (back when doctors made rounds, and that job wasn't shunted off to "hospitalists" who didn't know you). 

He and I have disagreed on many things over the years, but he has grown to respect my views, which is more than some doctors would when you veer from current medical orthodoxy on any issue.  I will hate it if he retires. 

The local school has an explanation of the guidelines for school lunches.  It talks about the amount the government requires for fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.  Then they give a "sample" of said healthy menu.  The sample shows a gorgeous colorful picture of a ham and cheese whole wheat wrap with fresh carrots, fresh broccoli, an apple, and some grapes.  So you think hey this looks good and healthy.  The actual typical thing they serve however is: chicken tenders with diced pears and corn. 

I watched a little of it but had to turn it up to 100 sound level!  Finally, I couldn't hear him at all, so there must be something wrong with that video or my computer's replay of that video (no, I do not have poor hearing). 

Anyway, it sounded as if governmental regulation is important to him.

I think we need to take responsibility for ourselves and not buy that fake food crap to the point that they can't sell anymore.  That is how to get change.  There is some encroachment there into Big Grocery, with all of the health food stores.  They are pretty expensive though.

I know that stuff kills.

Who is this guy?  I know those TED talks are done by people who just want to talk about some issue, but I've never heard of him.  I would have expected him to be thin since he is talking about this stuff, but maybe he used to be really large and has lost a lot of weight.  I don't know.  Again, couldn't hear the video, just mumbling, even on high volume.  Off too Youtube to see what's up. 

He looks at sugar marketed to kids the same way he does tobacco. He wants it to be illegal to market it directly to kids, he wants the USA to stop subsidizing sugar, and heck, would even be ok with warning labels. Basically, the kind of advertising laws we have against tobacco and alcohol marketing to kids. We didn't trust those things to "just stop buying them, let the market work it out." We made laws to protect little people. 

He isn't super thin, he readily admits he is overweight. He says he has the knowledge, but yes, when he's working long 18 hour days he will grab processed food at lunch, and often eats a bagel, which he knows isn't healthy, for breakfast. He doesn't want to be a guru, just wants to signal a warning cry. 

He's done a LOT about sugar. His big thing is the biochemistry, how it is destroying health in the same way as alcohol, but without the same buzz. Fatty liver disease is set to be the new biggest reason for liver transplant, and he links that directly to sugar, which is in 80% of processed food. And in many areas, processed food is the food that is available. (food desserts, etc)

I've put cans of corn and carrots back because they had added sugar. These foods are already sweet enough because they are mostly starch! Why do thy need more sugar?

I think people have "destroyed" their taste buds. If they would cut out all the garbage, they'd find that stuff they think isn't sweet enough now would taste fine. I regularly cut the sugar in half with recipes from my coconut flour cookbook and the cupcakes are still plenty sweet. I need to keep reducing it until it reaches the point where everyone says "uh, not so tasty" and then increase it slightly.

He looks at sugar marketed to kids the same way he does tobacco. He wants it to be illegal to market it directly to kids, he wants the USA to stop subsidizing sugar, and heck, would even be ok with warning labels. Basically, the kind of advertising laws we have against tobacco and alcohol marketing to kids. We didn't trust those things to "just stop buying them, let the market work it out." We made laws to protect little people. 

He isn't super thin, he readily admits he is overweight. He says he has the knowledge, but yes, when he's working long 18 hour days he will grab processed food at lunch, and often eats a bagel, which he knows isn't healthy, for breakfast. He doesn't want to be a guru, just wants to signal a warning cry. 

He's done a LOT about sugar. His big thing is the biochemistry, how it is destroying health in the same way as alcohol, but without the same buzz. Fatty liver disease is set to be the new biggest reason for liver transplant, and he links that directly to sugar, which is in 80% of processed food. And in many areas, processed food is the food that is available. (food desserts, etc)

His idea is not a bad one, but first, you would have to get financially-motivated interests to agree that sugar is bad.  And that isn't going to happen, for financial reasons. 

Do you really think making sugar hard to get for kids is the way to go?  I don't know that I agree; I think it would only encourage them.  We parents purchase groceries, not kids.  It's up to us to set the standard.  Sure, they can get it outside of the home at times, but if they primarily eat well in our home, we have set a lifelong pattern.  My oldest is still a teen but said to me that she appreciates now the fact that I fed them lots of raw fruits and vegetables as children, because now that is primarily what she chooses to snack on while she is in a foreign country (when she can get it). 

I'm fine with him sounding a warning cry, but he needs to do it himself!  We all do, to be taken seriously (yes, a few pounds to lose, but down 35 or so). 

I agree and know for a fact firsthand that alcohol is EXACTLY like sugar in the bloodstream.  That's your first clue.  If you are a sugar over-eater, stay FAR AWAY from alcohol, I've told my kids (especially since there are drinkers scattered throughout both sides - and you should SEE the crap they have served at potlucks).  There is a very strong correlation there.  Wish I'd known that as I scarfed down sugar as a child.  Then I drank for 10 years, and finally knew I had to stop, because I was killing myself.  Haven't had a drink in about 22 years, I think it is, but I still keep sugar out of my house for the most part.  I know me. 

I've put cans of corn and carrots back because they had added sugar. These foods are already sweet enough because they are mostly starch! Why do thy need more sugar?

I think people have "destroyed" their taste buds. If they would cut out all the garbage, they'd find that stuff they think isn't sweet enough now would taste fine. I regularly cut the sugar in half with recipes from my coconut flour cookbook and the cupcakes are still plenty sweet. I need to keep reducing it until it reaches the point where everyone says "uh, not so tasty" and then increase it slightly.

I think you are right.  Everyone I know who has traveled to Italy and other places with real food say that they can taste the chemicals very strongly when they return here. 

Lustig is a pediatric endocrinologist who also teaches at UC San Francisco. If you do a search for him, you should be able to find other videos.

Good!  Glad to hear that.  I hope he is telling parents what they need to hear about how they need to feed their kids - and eat, themselves.  Kids do what we do, not what we say, mostly. 

Absolutely. I cut at least 50% of sugar in all American recipes I bake. Commercial baked goods here have lots more sugar than those back home in Europe (and usually do not taste nearly as good)

. The American people really WANT to live healthier. Especially if it is something easy.

Only if it is something easy.

Look at high fructose corn syrup in soda. The people said we don't want it. We now have sugar option there instead. Small step. But and important principle, the people demanded it be provided, and it was.

If people wanted to live healthy, they would cut out soda entirely instead of replacing sugar with other chemicals.

I think we are already moving away from sugar. I can't tell you how many people I know who are following a paleo or similar type of diet. That is pretty much just an attempt to get away from sugar. The problem is the affordability of this type of diet. I don't see that getting any better. And, yet, people are doing it anyway.

These people are a - vocal - minority.

When Mc Donalds goes broke, we will know that the masses have changed their eating habits.

Not that I believe in paleo. A good mixed everything-on-moderation diet would serve just fine.

Absolutely. I cut at least 50% of sugar in all American recipes I bake. Commercial baked goods here have lots more sugar than those back home in Europe (and usually do not taste nearly as good)

Does that seriously work?  I read 25% and it won't change the recipe drastically.  I can't stand how sweet baked good recipes are.  I wish I could find a cookbook that just called for less.  I've tried cutting out 50% in some and they flopped.