Menu

Raleigh/Durham or Wilmington NC

There is a chance we might be headed to either Raleigh/Durham or Wilmington NC. I looked up the HS laws and they appear to be pretty low reg. Am I reading that right? How are the HS resources in those area? I have one STEM kid and one who's more artsy. Also, any feedback on the Montessori school's in the area as we may pursue different options for each child?

Hi, I'm in the Raleigh-Durham area. Regulations are very easy, yes, and there are a number of groups and other resources. The Triangle area is also great for field trips, especially the free museums. Raleigh's Parks & Rec department offers a great variety of inexpensive classes and activities. There's even a store that sells new and consigned homeschooling materials.

To homeschool in NC, there is one-time registration, which includes faxing in a copy of teaching parents' high school diplomas and a simple form. You have to maintain a record of instructional days (but there's no minimum) and a copy of each child's immunization record. You have to administer a nationally normed standardized test (such as the Iowa test) once a year for every child aged 7-16, and keep the results on hand for two years in case you're asked for them. (In fact, no one is ever asked for them.)

I hear great things about Casa Esperanza Montessori charter school (North Raleigh). I know that Sterling Montessori is in Morrisville, but haven't heard a lot about it. People who use Montessori School of Raleigh (Northwest Raleigh) seem very happy with it, but the tuition is so high I haven't looked closely.