Menu

Latin: Memoria Press or CAP?

Jerico

The search function is not working for me right now because I know there have been posts on this.

We are doing song school latin 1 right now. My kids love it. I'm considering ssl 2 and getting started with latin for next year. Will my kids love lfc if they love song school? (And will i just have to get over the fact that the readers wouldn't line up with our vp history).

Mostly bumping for you...

I'm doing SSL2 right now with CP, and planning to move to LfC next. I have been warned that LfC isn't as "fun" but I also have LC1, and LfC is still more "fun" than that. And there's also the pro of continuity.

Why are you adding GSWL onto SSL2? I should warn you that SSL2 has quite a bit of grammar in it. In fact, it covers all the grammar in the first unit of LfCA. Just a heads-up.

We are using MP Latin products (so far, PL, LC, and FFL).  They aren't fun on a daily basis, but they get the job done really well, and we have had tremendous success in the longer term and that brings a very rewarding feeling of a job well done.  I highly recommend MP products for this reason.

Mine loved LFC after SSL. *shrug* Not every kid is going to obviously. We enjoyed the Latin itself even if it isn't as entertaining. Chris is just nerdy enough to really endear himself to my kids.

Later on Latin Alive! was a big hit with my oldest kids, now high schoolers. Kiddos #3 & 4 used SSL and some LFC; they are going to start LA next semester. #5 is merrily using SSL 1, and I see no reason not to use the same path for #6 when he's ready (he's 4yo).

Mostly bumping for you...

I'm doing SSL2 right now with CP, and planning to move to LfC next. I have been warned that LfC isn't as "fun" but I also have LC1, and LfC is still more "fun" than that. And there's also the pro of continuity.

Why are you adding GSWL onto SSL2? I should warn you that SSL2 has quite a bit of grammar in it. In fact, it covers all the grammar in the first unit of LfCA. Just a heads-up.

I had read on the boards that some struggled with the latin readers in cap and did gswl before moving on. I suppose i can hold off and wait until it is needed. I have considered it for myself.

I need to just stop second guessing and looking around! Most of our curriculum is working for us. Stay the course!

We are using MP Latin products (so far, PL, LC, and FFL). They aren't fun on a daily basis, but they get the job done really well, and we have had tremendous success in the longer term and that brings a very rewarding feeling of a job well done. I highly recommend MP products for this reason.

Agree with this. My son is now in Second Form Latin from MP and we do have fun. Not Disneyland fun, but we now have the tools to cuddle on the couch and translate Latin sentences with direct objects, indirect objects and adjectives. And that is fun. It's like a puzzle. And it really makes you feel good when you get this thing done and then you look at the answer key and.... It's right. High fives all around!

I had read on the boards that some struggled with the latin readers in cap and did gswl before moving on. I suppose i can hold off and wait until it is needed. I have considered it for myself.

I need to just stop second guessing and looking around! Most of our curriculum is working for us. Stay the course!

The main complaint I hear about LfC is that it moves rather fast at the beginning. Which is true, there's a good bit of grammar right off the bat. But SSL2 is a relatively new product, and I'm not sure all those making that complaint had used it. SSL2 not only makes the beginning of LfC a review of grammar, it also has "pre-translating" exercises - matching the Latin and English sentences, parsing out words in a sentence, and translating words in a code-switching passage (which today taught my kid that Latin adjectives usually come after their noun). The sentences for these exercises are about the same difficulty as the ones I see in the A reader.

I almost didn't get SSL2 because I thought it would just be more songs and vocab like 1 and I wanted something meatier. My kid wouldn't hear of doing anything other than SSL2 after he saw the ad for it in his 1 book, though. But as it has tuned out, 2 is plenty meaty, and has been a perfect fit. I think it serves as great prep for LfC.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from supplementing either. We're on track to finish a bit early, so I think I will tack on Little Latin Readers A. I don't think that's really necessary, but my long term goal is to end up with Henle. Which is why I own LC1, MP is designed to segue into Henle, so I was hoping to use it, but alas, it's not a good fit for my kid. CAP leans more towards Wheelocks. The LLR are also designed to lead to Henle, and they are easy to add as a supplement and use for more reading practice throughout LfC, so that's my plan right now. 

It may be worthwhile to think about your end goal with Latin. Henle and Wheelock are the two main "end" programs, but there are other valid choices. Not that you have to become a "groupie" and ignore what your kids want or need, but Latin programs are a bit like math programs. If you constantly switch around and do a bit of this and that with  no clear direction in mind, you may not really build understanding and expertise. That's all.

And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

I agree :)

So far we've stuck with the same curriculum for math and grammar.

I didn't consider how new ssl2 is. I think it will be a good bridge.

I had considered just doing all of cap's programs for latin and then adding greek in somewhere along the way.

I'm hoping the latin hymns and prayers cd from memoria press will fill the desire I am looking for in that area. We used to sing one at our old church and I did enjoy it.