Menu

*lifeoftheparty*

OP, I agree with you. I disagree that it is difficult to eat well. It's basic nutrition to avoid fast food, fried food, extremely processed food. It should be basic and known info how to eat with an approach to health and healing - and you don't have to be extreme (juicing, low carb, veggie, organic) to do it.

Eat more fresh veggies and fruit, whole grains, less processed food. Simple. (That program doesn't allow me to lose weight, but it is baseline info for not unhealthy, IMO).

FWIW, I was hospitalized twice last year for a total of nearly 2 weeks. I was at 2 dfferent hospitals, although they are from the same company. The food options included very healthy options, and they were good.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might get flamed, but I'd actually rather my kid drink a diet soda than juice.  Lot of calories and sugar in juice.  And not enough nutritional value to cancel that out.

I buy juice once in a blue moon.  I consider it an indulgent treat.

No flaming here. Not that I buy them diet soda or anything, but both sides of the family run heavily to diabetes and insulin resistance. Juice is pure sugar. We get orange juice or cranberry juice as medicine a few times a year for illness and that's it.

Personally, 

I have been shocked at what the hospital calls "diabetic meals".  I have to wonder about the nutritionists that work at the hospital.

But, yes, I completely agree with you!

Another aside is parents who have kids that "are so picky and won't eat anything butĂ¢â‚¬Â¦Ă¢â‚¬Â¦"  What the heck?  It seems that their kid doesn't eat something once, and then they never encourage the said child to try again.  

Do parents not accept any personal responsibility for if their children only eat junk, that the children will eventually later in life (or earlier in life) have health issues related to diet?

Exactly. I had GD with my last 2 pregnancies. What did they give me when I was in labor? Cornflakes! Which of course ran my sugars up, which meant they had to give me insulin. If I hadn't been so starving (and in labor) I would have raised a fuss. Then, when recovering, the meals they gave me were ones, that if I were still pregnant, would have run my sugars right up. It truly baffles me.

When I gave birth to Calvin in London, I signed up for the Halal food, which came from a local restaurant.  Anything rather than eat the hospital food.  And at least it had some fibre in it and some flavour to it.

Dd had a baby two weeks ago. The day after, her dinner was lasagna, a rice and broccoli casserole, a side of white rice, and lemon pie.   Oh, and a roll.  She was DYING for some protein.  They didn't ask her what she wanted- just brought that.  She was SO glad to get out of there. It's the same hospital where she was born, and I had better food served then!

What does JAWM, JAWY, and JAWU mean?

I've tried googling and I don't think the content is correct for this thread.

Just Agree With Me/You/U (text speak U).

It's one of the WTM unofficial rules of etiquette.:

We use this acronym here when we just want to vent and don't really want to be contradicted. Others try to respect the OP when she/he puts JAWM in the title (if you don't agree either don't say so or just don't post in the thread). Sometimes people just want everyone to agree with them, but don't put it in the title. Then they get insulted when people disagree with them. Then someone reminds them they should have put JAWM in the title.

Once when I was visiting a cancer patient after a bone marrow transplant, a hospital staff worker offered her something from the hospital kitchen or something from Wendy's. When I asked about the fast food option, the worker explained that at that point it was more important that the patient ate than what he ate.

Thank you for that link. I have facebook friends who post food woo nearly every day. I usually ignore it. I posted this link on my own wall, which I suppose was a type of vaguebooking, but sometimes I just can't take it anymore. 

You know, sometimes when I'm in a grocery store I smugly compare my cart of kale and turnips to the cart in front of me which is all chicken nuggets and chubby drinks. It makes me feel good to say "Yeah, I'm better than that woman!" (I pretend she's judging me too, so I don't feel guilty about this .

Me ... I look at the trolley full of junk. I look at my healthy trolley. Then I wonder why she looks slim and healthy and me not so much...

Yes, we've got diabetics in our family who tell us that they've been told they can eat "whatever they want" as long as they do it in small amounts.  

When we mention not eating pasta, white potatoes or bread (along with sugar, of course) was how my mother got her diabetes under control to the point that the doc says she's no longer diabetic... they look at us like we have two heads.  

Then they wonder why they are having severe issues due to uncontrolled blood sugar.   :001_huh: I think they are simply in denial.  It's sad.

This is me. Two years ago (three now?) I was firmly in diabetic numbers (even though I was not obese). I cut out all grains, and sugar, and my latest A1C #'s came back stellar. I no longer have diabetes. AND I lost 40 pounds. 

You are totally right about them looking at you like you have two heads. 

Yes, we've got diabetics in our family who tell us that they've been told they can eat "whatever they want" as long as they do it in small amounts.  

When we mention not eating pasta, white potatoes or bread (along with sugar, of course) was how my mother got her diabetes under control to the point that the doc says she's no longer diabetic... they look at us like we have two heads.  

Then they wonder why they are having severe issues due to uncontrolled blood sugar.   :001_huh: I think they are simply in denial.  It's sad.

My husband's company runs an incentive for diabetics and those with high blood pressure - if the see the nutritionist and pharmacist once a month (at the company pharmacy), the company will pay for ALL of their meds entirely.

The PHARMACIST is the one who told DH about not eating pasta, potatoes, and bread, and to minimize his sugars (which sugars specifically). Not the doctor. He's now lost more weight, and his sugars have been steady and good, in the past two months... compared to the 6+ months under a doctor's care for it. Now, given, this may have been a bit more than his GP should have been advising on, but still... it blew my mind a bit that the pharmacist turned out to be the life saver here, diet-wise. I didn't know they did things like this.

This. You said JAWM and so I will, but gently...there is no one ideal diet or way of eating. There are lots of ways to be healthy.

How far do you take this?  Obviously, we have a set biology and there are set foods that are the best fuel for our bodies.  Maybe one person isn't exactly like another, but I can't imagine many scenarios that would include soda and fried, chemical-laden "food" being a good eating choice.

The only way those come in is if there are psychological reasons that normal, nutritious food can't be consumed.  Then we are not talking about diet/best fuel any more - we are going beyond that.

I am married to and have two kids with ARFID.  What they eat is tragic, and unhealthy, but better than starvation.  But they have psychological/sensory reasons for it.  It's not ideal.  I cringe.  A lot.

I do not agree with the concept of JAWM posts.  I think its a bizarre demand on the part of posters.

I think flipping your lid about some poor guy having a diet coke is irrational at best.  

Hospital food is by and large fairly healthy.

If you want to obsess about my family's occasional McD fix and the fact that we enjoy pizza at least weekly that's your personal problem not mine.

If only my mom had known she would have cured her cancer with juice I guess.  Stupid modern medicine.

I consider TWTM forum a community, with groups of smaller communities within.

I think it is kindness and courtesy to make room for venting without the added stress of disagreement. I personally have a high tolerance for conflict and enjoy discussion, but I get and support a JAWM tag.

Me ... I look at the trolley full of junk. I look at my healthy trolley. Then I wonder why she looks slim and healthy and me not so much...

My dad has been slim his entire life.  He was actually downright skinny until he hit middle age.   He has always eaten whatever he wants, whenever.  There were never any health pitfalls, until...

He also had a *6-way* bypass about 7 years ago. Six way!  He had virtually no signs, even until they did the dye test.  He was complaining of "feeling extra tired while mowing the grass."  His EKG was "slightly abnormal."  When they did the dye test, they were shocked - he had almost 100% blockage in some major arteries.  They wouldn't let him turn over on the bed as they rushed around prepping for his bypass.

So you never know about that slim, healthy-looking lady with the cr*ppy diet... ;) 

Of course, it can be largely genetic too - heart disease, and cancer, etc.

Agreeing with you.

My FIL was just diagnosed as diabetic. He got a chest cold, and as medicine he got some...honey syrup. Um, what??? I like that stuff as much as the next person (over Robitussin) but - HE'S DIABETIC.

wtf

I once read a book of a guy who talks about visiting his diabetic father in the hospital after his leg amputation. His father's mini-fridge was filled with root beer.  :scared:

But what can you do? I have older family members who have more health problems than they know what to do with, but they still eat nothing but processed crap. And it's not that they're too busy or too poor, they're comfortably retired. They'll say "oh yeah, my doctor says I need to eat better and lose some weight" but they don't change. At this point I'm convinced that they actually DON'T WANT  to change, and that they have a deeply disordered relationship with food.

I don't think you understand Type II Diabetes. My husband has it, and I am pre-diabetic. Taking a spoonful of Honey Syrup for a cough will not be an issue if he is watching his carb intake in other ways. People who are Diabetic can have sugar in moderation. They have to watch their total carb intake. FWIW, it is very hard to change a diet you have been accustomed to. If you FIL was recently diagnosed, give the guy a break. He is adjusting to a new way of eating, and it is hard.

Oh come on.  Moderation.  The occasional soda and french fry is not going to kill anyone.

With all due respect, I don't remember saying that an occasional soda and french fry would kill anyone.  What I am saying is that I can't see it ever being called ideal, and I don't think there are tons of different "ideal" diets, because we are a particular biology, and have evolved for particular food.  I think there are clear boundaries between, "this is cr*ppy food, but I want to eat it as a treat and that's my business" and "there are all kinds of ideal diets out there, and can include soda and french fries in the ideal category."

When I said the only way french fries and soda come into play is with psychological reasons, I meant, that is the only way they could approach ideal for that person (or good for that person).  As in, they can't eat something else and the other alternative is starving.

That doesn't mean I think you have to have psychological problems to ever eat them.  I might have been confusing about that.

I don't think you understand Type II Diabetes. My husband has it, and I am pre-diabetic. Taking a spoonful of Honey Syrup for a cough will not be an issue if he is watching his carb intake in other ways. People who are Diabetic can have sugar in moderation. They have to watch their total carb intake. FWIW, it is very hard to change a diet you have been accustomed to. If you FIL was recently diagnosed, give the guy a break. He is adjusting to a new way of eating, and it is hard.

I understand diabetes fine. My DH has prediabetes. When he got a chest cold he got diabetic Robitussin. Why play with fire? Why would a diabetic think it is okay to drink pure glucose? Why would a doctor say that was okay?

I know it's hard to change, I see my DH struggle with it. But if you like your life and limbs...you have to be strict.

And science says "moderation" is BS, btw. There is no safe level of sugar, just lesser degrees of damage.

I do totally agree with you.  Absolutely yes, for the first part quoted up there.  And the second.

A coworker was an ovarian cancer survivor.  Seven years later, she had breast cancer.  When she returned to work following her double mastectomy, she was there with her usual Mountain Dew and Pop Tarts.  I think she may have a death wish--or else she's just that stupid.  I don't get it at ALL.

And my cousin, who runs marathons, runs at least 6 miles a day in training and eats low carb and organically as possible has Breast Cancer and will go in breast reconstruction surgery soon. Her overall health will help her to fight the cancer, but it sure didn't prevent her from getting cancer.

I understand diabetes fine. My DH has prediabetes. When he got a chest cold he got diabetic Robitussin. Why play with fire? Why would a diabetic think it is okay to drink pure glucose? Why would a doctor say that was okay?

I know it's hard to change, I see my DH struggle with it. But if you like your life and limbs...you have to be strict.

And science says "moderation" is BS, btw. There is no safe level of sugar, just lesser degrees of damage.

We must read different scientific studies. I do believe that moderation is important. If you FIL had been a smoker, would you just assume that he could quit cigarettes cold turkey? It is so easy to make judgments on others when you aren't the one having to make the changes!

Dh's grandfather ate at McDonalds nearly every day for the last 30+ years of his life (after his wife passed away. He died one month short of his 100th birthday, with very few health problems right up until the end.

Too bad I can't guarantee that all my kids get those genes! Heart disease unfortunately runs rampant on my side of the family.

We must read different scientific studies. I do believe that moderation is important. If you FIL had been a smoker, would you just assume that he could quit cigarettes cold turkey? It is so easy to make judgments on others when you aren't the one having to make the changes!

My experience at WTM has taught me that what some here think of as a "scientific study" can be quite broad.

Dh's grandfather ate at McDonalds nearly every day for the last 30+ years of his life (after his wife passed away. He died one month short of his 100th birthday, with very few health problems right up until the end.

Too bad I can't guarantee that all my kids get those genes! Heart disease unfortunately runs rampant on my side of the family.

Mine too! He would have McD's for breakfast and a chicken fried steak sandwich for lunch at a local place every single day for as long as I knew him. His house was always stocked with soda and ice cream. He died at 94 years of age and never had any medical issues (no diabetes, trouble with blood pressure, his heart, nothing!). He was overweight but it never caused him any issues. His dr. would always tell us that my grandad was healthier than people half his age.

I hope I and my dds have his genes but I'm not counting on it, so all the junk is just in moderation for us.

I'd try not to let others' dietary choices get to you, or any decision that doesn't directly affect you.  

P.S.  I drink diet coke.   :auto:

Unfortunately, obesity, which is a direct result of dietary choices, is an enormous public health problem and it affects us all. 

A new report says the cost of obesity worldwide has risen to $2 trillion a year -- more than the global economic drain caused by alcoholism and nearly as much as the financial toll taken by smoking.

The study by the McKinsey Global Institute, released Thursday, focused on the economics of obesity, ranking it as one of the top three preventable social burdens on global economies. The study estimates its impact at 2.8 percent of global gross domestic product.

"Obesity isn't just a health issue," one of the report's authors, Richard Dobbs, said in a podcast. "But it's a major economic and business challenge."

On the study's scale of preventable social burdens, obesity ranks third behind smoking and the combined total of all types of armed violence, war and terrorism, which are pegged at $2.1 trillion. Obesity costs more than global military spending, estimated at $1.75 trillion in 2012.

The report says 2.1 billion people -- about 30 percent of the global population -- are overweight or obese and that about 15 percent of health care costs in developed economies are driven by it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obesity-costs-more-than-war-and-terrorism-combined/

Well since I think moderation is ideal, yeah, I would say that even McDs can be part of an ideal diet.

McDonald's salads, milk, and a healthy side, sure.

I really am pleased to see McDonald's increase its healthy offerings at the expense of profits.

But if you think that there is any way that McDonald's Happy Meals for example, with all those preservatives, all that added sugar, salt, refined fat, could be part of an ideal diet, I really don't know what to say.

I'm with the OP.

To me, if you have to put it in a fancy package to sell it to me, I'm guessing it's something I probably don't need and that I won't be better off for. We don't buy pop--period. We don't buy juice except on holidays. We don't buy fast food--if we are in a hurry we buy a salad or sandwich at the grocery store deli.

When the kids ask why, I tell them:

"That company makes money by selling things which are cheaper than food and industrially designed to fool your body into think you are getting nutrition. It actually fools your brain and tongue into thinking you are getting what you need to thrive. It's wrong to use biology to fool people like that. It's fine to have a treat once in awhile but our bodies were not designed to take in all that sugar and juice. We NEED whole foods to thrive and be healthy. If we eat fake fillers, we won't be able to enjoy the real foods and we will get sick."

And indeed that is exactly what happens.

There are multiple studies showing that diet pop can make your body react as if you're binging on sugar.

There is no moderation on things that were invented in the last 200 years with the sole purpose of selling people something that is not food, in order to cut a profit.

To me, moderation in junk is like moderation in hitting, or moderation in stealing. Honestly, for something that literally has no redeeming value whatsoever, there is no moderate consumption.

And no, we just don't eat it.

And yes, the kids whine.

But last night my kids, even the picky one who a couple of weeks ago ate nothing but Shredded Wheat (since guess what, we don't buy junk cereals, because I'm a mean mom), well these kids fought over the last Brussels sprouts. They didn't have a choice.

And they were good Brussels sprouts--buttered, salted, and fried in a pan.

But they were food. Real food.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. It is hard to stop an addictive habit, yes, INCREDIBLY hard. I don't judge people for carrying "extra pounds", especially matronly moms. That is how moms look! It's not a sin to be fat and I don't think that fat people necessarily eat worse than thin people. I don't know. I'm not living their lives.

But I do think it's a horrible idea to drink diet pop, yes.

I really am pleased to see McDonald's increase its healthy offerings at the expense of profits.

Maybe, maybe not. I remember reading that people are more likely to go to a fast food place if it has a healthy offering like salad... but they continue to buy the unhealthy stuff. Like, you know, just being in the same room as salad is good enough.

Maybe, maybe not. I remember reading that people are more likely to go to a fast food place if it has a healthy offering like salad... but they continue to buy the unhealthy stuff. Like, you know, just being in the same room as salad is good enough.

I think I operate on a similar principle at times...if I buy the healthy veggies and put them in the fridge, they're going to somehow rub off on everything else even if I never get around to actually eating them. :D

I honestly think some people don't know and don't realize that carbs can be as bad as sugar. My mother would buy sugar free cookies, etc. and assume that's fine and she isn't contributing to being unable to control her blood sugar levels because she isn't consuming sugar. This was awhile ago and I hope things have changed for the better, but she was advised to eat stuff like a sandwich on white bread with fat free mayo. The focus was fat. Fat was the enemy. Sugar was the enemy. But not carbs. Carbs are fine. Good grief.

My very sweet, very obese aunt was injured last year and had to be hospitalized. When she was able to return home, her dietician recommended that she have a fat free fruit yogurt and a banana every day for breakfast. Stupid.

I do not agree with the concept of JAWM posts.  I think its a bizarre demand on the part of posters.

I think JAWM has its place on posts where the OP is directly involved in the situation and is just looking for sympathy/support. It's like when I'm having a bad day, and my DH starts jumping into heavy-duty "What did I do wrong now? What do I need to do to fix it? Did you take your vitamins? You should go out and get some exercise!" when all I wanted was a hug.

I don't think it's appropriate for a post like this, where the poster doesn't actually have any significant personal involvement and is using it as a platform for disparaging others, especially when it's a situation where others on the board may have previously found themselves on the disparaged side.

So I have a friend who has Type I diabetes.  He has to drink orange juice to stay alive.  I don't know the medical details, but he was thinking he ought to be able to deduct it as a medical expense because he has no choice but to drink it.

(I don't buy juice myself, but I could see it being healthful under certain circumstances.)

Yes! Sometimes people make really, really poor decisions.  I totally agree with you.

This is my confession. I'm one of those 'organic' moms. From the beginning. I also gave my oldest organic soy milk sometimes. I cringe thinking about that. I thought it was right, but now I believe it was very wrong. I also got my child (born with a birth defect) McDonalds a couple of times (rare, but) when we were regulars at  Children's Hospital. It embarrassed me, but the kid hated going, and the stupid Happy Meal made said child less upset because-  toy! Fries! And yep, right next door to the hospital. Full disclosure: I didn't get dc the soda. We are water drinkers. Back then, I probably had a diet Coke, but I swore off DC 100%  about two years ago. (Never a heavy user.)

So I have a friend who has Type I diabetes.  He has to drink orange juice to stay alive.  I don't know the medical details, but he was thinking he ought to be able to deduct it as a medical expense because he has no choice but to drink it.

(I don't buy juice myself, but I could see it being healthful under certain circumstances.)

Orange juice is used by diabetics for quickly raising blood sugar when it drops too low.

It sounds like he needs his insulin and/or diet adjusted. A diabetic shouldn't be needing OJ on such a regular basis that it would be a major expense, and it's an indication that his levels are likely not being managed in a way that is good for his overall health. 

I don't really mean that judgmentally. There are brittle diabetics who do have a hard time staying in a healthy range. Just that I would definitely look at whether something could be adjusted if he were having lows that frequently, because lows can be really scary.

If he buys glucose tabs or something like that in the pharmacy instead of OJ, he can probably deduct it as a medical expense.

Well, at least they are trying. Honestly, if ONE person makes a better choice--like say dad is determined to make better choices, mom is not. At least he can get something healthier if they stop there together. It reduces arguments, reduces barriers. Everyone says there are barriers to healthy food. So they brought down that barrier. Good for them.

McD's is hardly the savior of the food industry but you have to give credit where credit is due.

Absolutely--as are iron pills, infant formula, and cod liver oil.

Concentrated fructose can serve a medical purpose.

But considering it a staple food item that is handed out with WIC or in hospitals, rather than a medically necessary food substitute or condiment or dessert is my issue. For us, sweetened yoghurts and juices are desserts.

Juice is probably on my "not really a good food but not junk" list. It's really not that refined. We just don't drink it because my small children would do nothing but drink juice and milk all day. I don't think this is an exaggeration. My neighbors actually don't eat anything but juice and sweetened milk and yoghurt.

Where our society really went wrong was when we allowed companies to sell adulterated food substitutes as food and advertise as such. It's not food.

Someone needs to do a "someone is wrong on the internet" parody of Let it Go.

Haha, yes, except in this case never.

I'm so irritated about it because I know how hard it is to change. I quit smoking. I get it. I don't judge people who are doing what they were raised to do because that is human nature. I never would eat as well as I do had I not been raised by an anal-retentive mother.

It infuriates me that as a society we have allowed for-profit companies to determine our food culture--and how they have of course taken every advantage to turn it into a culture of eating things which are cheaper to make than food, but which have detrimental effects on our health to the expense of us all! Post does not love you--they want your money. All the pretty words, all the pretty boxes, those are 100% to get your money while giving you as little as possible for it.

People shouldn't have to make individual food choices against the grain of society every day to eat a reasonably healthy diet. Going to the market should be a joy, not a minefield. And yet, I can't take my children to the store without having to explain how capitalism works and why you should never, ever trust anything in a shiny package.

"If it were good for you, darling, they wouldn't have to paint it pretty colors."

Our non-food culture is killing people. It's not enough to say, "Well some people who are not yet dead also eat poorly." or "I know someone who ate well and still died." Yes, but statistically speaking, eating a poor diet leads to all kinds of problems--and why wouldn't it? Our bodies evolved to survive on food. What many people are eating really should not be classified as food. Diet Coke and partially hydrogenated oils are big on the list, but after that comes a bazillion other things.

This is our health. Yes it's about class--it's about the working class getting screwed again, and again, and again, and again. I don't judge the working class. I am working class. I am mad as hell about what is being offered to them as a substitute for food, especially because they are then blamed for the results (poor health, obesity).

Orange juice is used by diabetics for quickly raising blood sugar when it drops too low.

It sounds like he needs his insulin and/or diet adjusted. A diabetic shouldn't be needing OJ on such a regular basis that it would be a major expense, and it's an indication that his levels are likely not being managed in a way that is good for his overall health. 

I don't really mean that judgmentally. There are brittle diabetics who do have a hard time staying in a healthy range. Just that I would definitely look at whether something could be adjusted if he were having lows that frequently, because lows can be really scary.

If he buys glucose tabs or something like that in the pharmacy instead of OJ, he can probably deduct it as a medical expense.

Yeah, he has a rough time and it's not for lack of trying.  His life has been a whole long health rollercoaster.  Recently it's the eyes and the fact that Medicare will only pay for a fraction of the test strips he needs.  He practically lives at the doctor's, so I hope he is getting good advice.

I do think it is hard to know what is truly healthy unless you only eat raw fruits and vegetables. I lived in China for a year and have always thought that authentic Chinese food was healthy. I would still consider it healthy, but, from what I read on these boards, soy is of the devil and sugar is a close second. Many Chinese dishes have a sweet sauce, contain MSG and have some form of soy whether it be soy sauce or tofu. And don't forget the white rice. I found it difficult to find brown rice in China. White rice was the norm. If their food culture is so unhealthy, why is obesity, heart disease and other seemingly diet related issues almost unheard of in China?

If their food culture is so unhealthy, why is obesity, heart disease and other seemingly diet related issues almost unheard of in China?

They aren't. The richer people get and the more processed status foods they eat, the less healthy they become:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014/05/29/as-obesity-rises-chinese-kids-are-almost-as-fat-as-americans/

Many Chinese dishes have a sweet sauce, contain MSG and have some form of soy whether it be soy sauce or tofu.

Fermented soy, such as tofu and that found in soy sauce, is a traditional food with very few additives.

Same with homemade bread. Grocery store bread has all kinds of crap, but I can make you bread from nothing but wheat flour, water, air and time. :) I capture wild yeasts. :D

As for the sweet sauce, are you referring to traditional Chinese food or to Chinese restaurant food found in the US and parts of Canada? These are very different things. I can make almost any traditional Italian, German, Thai, or Persian dish without any added sugar and starting from all whole ingredients with the exception of a couple of dried spices. But that is not what I get at restaurants!

I do think it is hard to know what is truly healthy unless you only eat raw fruits and vegetables. I lived in China for a year and have always thought that authentic Chinese food was healthy. I would still consider it healthy, but, from what I read on these boards, soy is of the devil and sugar is a close second. Many Chinese dishes have a sweet sauce, contain MSG and have some form of soy whether it be soy sauce or tofu. And don't forget the white rice. I found it difficult to find brown rice in China. White rice was the norm. If their food culture is so unhealthy, why is obesity, heart disease and other seemingly diet related issues almost unheard of in China?

I was in China in 1985 and then again later.  In the traditional culture, meat was more-or-less a condiment.  Most calories came from vegetables and white rice (in the south) / white steamed bread (in the north).  The lack of fibre in the grains was compensated for by the very large amount of fibrous vegetables.  I'm not convinced that soy is the devil.  And soy sauce is not nearly as ubiquitous in Chinese food as it is in the diaspora.

L

I think JAWM has its place on posts where the OP is directly involved in the situation and is just looking for sympathy/support. It's like when I'm having a bad day, and my DH starts jumping into heavy-duty "What did I do wrong now? What do I need to do to fix it? Did you take your vitamins? You should go out and get some exercise!" when all I wanted was a hug.

I don't think it's appropriate for a post like this, where the poster doesn't actually have any significant personal involvement and is using it as a platform for disparaging others, especially when it's a situation where others on the board may have previously found themselves on the disparaged side.

She was venting. She was venting here so she could get it out of her head, drop it from her radar, not post on FB and regret it.

She didn't call names, reveal poor or immoral character, to spoil Santa.

She has a strong opinion regarding junk food and health issues.

I can't imagine weighing validity of vents and deeming them "JAWM" worthy or not.

I had a post about 10 years ago about my son being tagged in a security clearance at the airport when he was flying solo. They check *everything* including his testicles. I was not able to process that with him, or coach/mother him through the unanticipated event of having complete, uniformed strangers fondle his boy junk. I posted here, long before the JAWM tradition. Some of the posts were downright hurtful and unkind.

Is there harm in her venting or letting her have her opinion, no matter how wrong (you think) it might be?

There are plenty of threads to discuss content, debate, quiz, query, and quantify.

Is there harm in her venting or letting her have her opinion, no matter how wrong (you think) it might be?

Yes, I do think that there is potential harm in this for families who have been thrilled to have their loved one just eat SOMETHING, regardless of healthiness. And I do feel that the emotions of people who have been worried sick that their loved one is literally going to starve to death carry more weight than the OP's irritation at other people's choices.

I really get where the OP is coming from. I work in multiple inpatient healthcare facilities, and diet issues are my pet peeve. They drive me up the freaking wall.  But I don't think JAWM is appropriate.

Candida is what kept me from being slim snd healthy, even though I was eating really healhty.Not say that's the case for you, but my naturopath says it's the underlining cause of most sicknesses. And he calls it the plague of the 21 st century.

My husband's company runs an incentive for diabetics and those with high blood pressure - if the see the nutritionist and pharmacist once a month (at the company pharmacy), the company will pay for ALL of their meds entirely.

The PHARMACIST is the one who told DH about not eating pasta, potatoes, and bread, and to minimize his sugars (which sugars specifically). Not the doctor. He's now lost more weight, and his sugars have been steady and good, in the past two months... compared to the 6+ months under a doctor's care for it. Now, given, this may have been a bit more than his GP should have been advising on, but still... it blew my mind a bit that the pharmacist turned out to be the life saver here, diet-wise. I didn't know they did things like this.

Apparently, doctors only get a few hours of nutrition while studying their degree!!!!!

Yes, I do think that there is potential harm in this for families who have been thrilled to have their loved one just eat SOMETHING, regardless of healthiness. And I do feel that the emotions of people who have been worried sick that their loved one is literally going to starve to death carry more weight than the OP's irritation at other people's choices.

I really get where the OP is coming from. I work in multiple inpatient healthcare facilities, and diet issues are my pet peeve. They drive me up the freaking wall.  But I don't think JAWM is appropriate.

??

Maybe we are talking about different things. I am talking about a JAWM vent here used to prevent explosion elsewhere and a brief cohort with like minded or at least understanding persons.

Her expressed here opinion doesn't impact anyone "potential harm in this for families who have been thrilled to have their loved one just eat SOMETHING".

You know, my grandfather had a massive heart attack (that killed him) while mowing the grass. During the services, a lot of people were talking about how common it seems that people have heart attacks while mowing the grass...

Have you ever heard that? I always notice it when people say that now, and wonder if there is a correlation... I guess I should probably Google it ;)

Yeah!!!! My dh was just told last month to NOT mow..... the reason is the vibration of the mower breaks off plague and must clog the heart etc. ...

Also are you sure we can't *open house* it around the same time as the inspection, as you are there any way already etc....

We are seeing a super amazing ex doctor and bio chemist who specializes in homeopathy, naturopath, Chinese medicine and more.

Or that the salad magically undoes all the other junk that was eaten.

Yea!!!! My dh was just told last month to NOT mow..... the reason is the vibration of the mower breaks off plague and must clog the heart etc. ...

We are seeing a super amazing ex doctor and bio chemist who specializes in homeopathy, naturopath, Chinese medicine and more.

LOL.

The reason people have heart attacks while mowing (and shoveling snow) is due to the increased strain on the heart.  They are usually older people who lead sedentary lives and aren't used to exercise, and go out into the extremes of weather (super hot/cold) and get their heart working too hard.

Please show me ONE reputable source for your claim.

LOL.

The reason people have heart attacks while mowing (and shoveling snow) is due to the increased strain on the heart. They are usually older people who lead sedentary lives and aren't used to exercise, and go out into the extremes of weather (super hot/cold) and get their heart working too hard.

Please show me ONE reputable source for your claim.

Listen, I'm just sharing what was told to my dh... not looking for a debate or anything. Far out!

I'm happy to give you his details if you want to take him on.