Menu

History of U.S./Canada/North America question...

I'm not on Facebook either. We've loved all things from SWB, so I'm sure we would use it. Even if we are beyond the age week probably get it to read through. I like the idea of a blended history.

In our house, we did American history lightly over three years while doing SOTW. Now that we are on modern in both, they will just move together.

I'm not on FB, so I'll weigh in here.

It would be great to have a SOTW-like North American history... probably two year program and we'd definitely prefer to have Canadian, US, and Mexico history blended.  :hurray:

Same here and agree with RootAnn.  Even if we were past the age it might make a great supplemental reading.  And definitely blended.

• Like 3

Not on FB either. I am guessing the question based on other replies.

My ds loved SOTW for children. That was how I came to discover WTM, this website etc.  

He is now, at 12yo, on your Norton Ancient World book, taking it very slowly, along also with some other resources.

I think a History of the Americas that was at a harder / more mature level than SOTW, but not quite so difficult as the Norton books would be wonderful!  We tried to do some American history in between SOTW for children and what we are doing now, but did not find many resources at a good level for my ds.

Joy Hakim's series felt babyish to him, such that I wish I had done it as a read aloud when he was much younger, but by 5th grade, the writing style/tone felt to him like he was being talked down to. In terms of level, Howard Zinn was good, but it assumed having already had a basic overview of US history compared to which it would give another viewpoint. Some other books we read about specific aspects of the Americas, such as 1491, were also excellent and at a good level. However, an overview at the right level, and not deadly dull like most textbooks are, seemed to be non-existent.

I would prefer a history that dealt with The Americas as a whole, North, South and Central, and the islands that were involved in the slave/sugar/rum trade too, but would be interested in something that had less scope geographically also.

• Like 2

Yes, I'd love it to incorporate North and South America. The only issue I feel is that there is already Joy Hakim's, "History of US". It does a great job and gets at your likely target age range. So, if it were written to the middle school, maybe high school crowd, I would be more pleased. Don't forget.... please have Jim Weiss do the audio version again!

• Like 3

Same here and agree with RootAnn.  Even if we were past the age it might make a great supplemental reading.  And definitely blended.

Same here also.

Also, if it had a Jim Weiss audio CD version, we'd almost certainly get that even if past the age, and listen while in car.

That was another difference between SOTW and Hakim's that made a difference to my son--SOTW read like a story, whereas Hakim's book with text in various fonts and pictures here and there (besides along with reference to imaging oneself on a magic carpet making it seem babyish) also made it hard to "just read"--esp. for my ds who has dyslexia and gets disturbed by a busy page lay-out.  It made the Hakim book at once seem babyish and also hard to read. While the Norton book has seemed comparatively a mature presentation and while in some ways harder reading and content, otoh, the plainer text makes it easier to process.

• Like 2

As a Canadian, I am more inclined to simply study Canadian history.

From my perspective, American history is an important part of world history, but not on-par with the need for Canadians to focus on our own heritage.

As a U.S. person, your post was refreshing to read!  I tired early on of the "U.S.-centric" history materials which were, way back then, just about the only resources obtainable. 

I long wished for a good Canadian history text for my children.  When I visited a friend in Montreal in 2008, I found one in a bookstore and bought it.  Would love to have the equivalent for Mexico. 

Thinking about the suggestions for an American history text (with "America" being "the Americas"), a single volume text would be forced into relative superficiality.  There are some sharp distinctions among the countries of Central and of South America.  I would not like to see a text that lumps them all together under the guise of "generic Hispanic".  My preference would be for a volume each for Canada, U.S.A., and Mexico, followed by one for Central America, and a sizeable one for South America.  Such a series would make for an excellent overview of "The Americas." 

At the very least, U.S. students really should have a basic grasp of both Canadian and Mexican history, as those countries share borders with us.  I won't pretend that I provided that foundation to my children.  I will, though, criticize myself for failing to do so.  Living in so geographically large a country places people at a disadvantage, especially when a family lacks the money for travel.  We (my family) don't even have a coherent, solid experiential understanding of the U.S. for that [financial] reason. 

• Like 2

For clarity's sake, this is the question posted on the Facebook page:

"I don't intend to cause an international incident, but could I ask my Canadian and American Story of the World fans a question? Canadians: If you had a Story of North America that included lots of U.S. history, would you use it, or would you stick with your Story of Canada? And Americans: same question--North America, or would you prefer a focus on the U.S.? OK, everyone answer, and be kind!"

• Like 3

We love history, too! :)

I would be much more interested in simply U.S. history. If it was only one year, I don't see how it could be comprehensive and cover Canadian history, too? If it was two years...I don't know that I want to break that long from world history...

But my oldest is just first grade. So maybe I'll change my mind by then...

Edited to note that FWIW I'm not on FB either. :) 

Also, I prefer Canadian resources written by Canadians -- unless I'm actually looking for an outsider perspective on something... Unless maybe a citizen of somewhere else had done an entire Canada-focused education to the point of an advanced degree in the study Canadiana. Though I don't know how, where or why any non-Canadian would do that.

• Like 2

Also, I prefer Canadian resources written by Canadians -- unless I'm actually looking for an outsider perspective on something...

This.

In our house, we use math books written by mathematicians, grammar books written by linguists, French books written by native speakers...so in a similar vein, we are not in the market for Canadian history written by anyone but professional Canadian historians.

Other people may have different ideas, and that's fine. To each his own.

I think that many Canadians feel that we're surrounded by "outsider perspectives" here, and we need to tell our own stories.

(I'm not on Facebook either.)

Thank you for asking, by the way; that was sensitive of you.

This.

In our house, we use math books written by mathematicians, grammar books written by linguists, French books written by native speakers...so in a similar vein, we are not in the market for Canadian history written by anyone but professional Canadian historians.

Other people may have different ideas, and that's fine. To each his own.

I think that many Canadians feel that we're surrounded by "outsider perspectives" here, and we need to tell our own stories.

(I'm not on Facebook either.)

Thank you for asking, by the way; that was sensitive of you.

If I was Canadian, I'd feel the same way. :) 

"I don't intend to cause an international incident, but could I ask my Canadian and American Story of the World fans a question? Canadians: If you had a Story of North America that included lots of U.S. history, would you use it, or would you stick with your Story of Canada? And Americans: same question--North America, or would you prefer a focus on the U.S.? OK, everyone answer, and be kind!"

Seeing the actual question is helpful. I'm from USA. I'd prefer a Story of North America--but I'd even more prefer a Story of the Americas.

And if it to be more than one volume, I'd prefer it divided by time, rather than by region (same as for SOTW)--but I think 2 volumes would be plenty.

• Like 1

I use the Catholic Schools Textbook Project book From Sea to Shining Sea: The Story of America and it devotes several chapters to the early (16th-18th centuries) history of Mexico and Canada. This choice is primarily a religious one since the French and Spanish colonies were Catholic. It was interesting to me to read given that I was so immersed in English colonial history growing up in Massachusetts and I didn't know that much about the French & Spanish colonies. The CSTP book does not focus on the histories of Canada or Mexico after the American Revolution except where they intersect with U.S. history (the Mexican-American War, etc.)

I covered North American history using American resources for the US portion and Canadian resources for Canada. There was so much to discuss with the differences in approaches to parallel situations (e.g., fur trade, Native relations, French relations, law inforcement). It was helpful to our discussions that each resource had their own obvious bias. I wouldn't purchase one resource to cover North American history when I have very easy access to both American-written and Canadian-written resources.

• Like 1

I covered North American history using American resources for the US portion and Canadian resources for Canada. There was so much to discuss with the differences in approaches to parallel situations (e.g., fur trade, Native relations, French relations, law inforcement). It was helpful to our discussions that each resource had their own obvious bias. I wouldn't purchase one resource to cover North American history when I have very easy access to both American-written and Canadian-written resources.

What were you using? Have you also found things for Central and South American to compare these same sorts of situations (bolded)?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm Canadian. I would love it, IF there was enough Canadian coverage. Not just when Canadian history intersects with the US. I was actually thinking two days ago, how I would LOVE a text that integrated US and Canadian history.

We'd be most likely to read a story of North America with lots of US History. If there were a SOTW-style Canadian-influenced version, we'd try to get to it. 

If you do more than one book, and they are distinct Canadian/US versions, it might be nice to include an appendix in each volume showing how the historical events in both countries line up.

Ah - this is helpful - I couldn't really see what the question was on the FB page.

I would potentially be interested in using a text that included both US and Canadian history.  I think in many ways it makes a lot of sense to cover both at once, especially at the beginning - the border is pretty arbitrary really and its a history of a continent.  Even today you can see a lot of cross-border regional groupings - as a Maritimer I can in many ways identify more with someone from New England than I can with someone from Calgary, and our history is far more intertwined.  Our province has a significant connection with the Cajuns, and also with the black Loyalists who came and settled here from the US - this is why the black population where I live is almost exclusively Baptist - there are all kinds of other examples I can think of locally and it is the same throughout Canada.  It is quite difficult to really separate the history of the countries. 

I know very little Mexican history but would be very interested in that as well, it seems to me that the interrelationships there are equally important.  I might also be interested in some of the Caribbean countries being included. 

The trick I think would be not to get too much into some things that are really only going to be interesting to people in one country or the other.  It would be a bit like doing a history of Europe that would be useful to people from all kinds of European countries i guess.

How to write it so both the US and Canada win the War of 1812 might be something of a problem.

• Like 1

As a Canadian, I would appreciate a mixed volume.

We use a a book called "The Story of Canada" by George W Brown published in 1950 during our elementary school years. If you haven't seen this book you might appreciate it as it's a similar style to the SOTW. That said, I would appreciate a follow up book that would cover more US history without just diving into US-centric Amercian patriotism with stuff like the deification of the founding fathers. Children's book especially seem to frequently try to pound in as much patriotism as possible.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

No Facebook so I'll answer here:

As a Canadian I'd probably stick with strictly Canadian content and Canadian made resource.

On a side note, I'd wish I would have searched here for advice as I have never even heard of The Story of Canada. I just spent $$ on another curriculum (Donnaward.com, which is great but unneccesary for my ds5. The Story of Canada would have been perfect.)

Sigh. Only $20 bucks, so I'll still have to add it to our bookshelf.

Wahhh.

Sent from my U9200 using Tapatalk

• Like 1