Menu

CC: Great ID/Evolution Science curriculum I purchased for next year.

Okay, I've noted that this is a Christian content post.  I would greatly appreciate it if we do not get into any YE vs. OE, or  Christian vs. secular science bashing modes.  That is not the purpose of this post.  I simply wanted to share this resource for those of us desperate to find a Christian science curriculum that meets our needs. Therefore, I'm asking politely, that if you do not subscribe to ID or Creationism, please refrain from posting.  Thank you.

Now that DD is in middle school, I really wanted to address evolution in a way that was balanced prior to using any secular science books so that she would have the critical thinking skills to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.  However, all I could find were books either supporting or denying evolution; nothing even moderately in between.

Well, I've been looking at and drooling over this curriculum for two years now: Discovering Intelligent Design (http://discoveringid.org/ ).  The last time I mentioned it on this forum, I got the standard replies that it was not science, wasn't written by scientists, and all that standard stuff, so rather than listening to my instincts, I put it on the mind-shelf for later.

Dusting off my brain's cobwebs, I started looking at it again to incorporate into next year's science. Since I had some extra money, I decided to take the plunge and order it.  I'M SO GLAD I DID! It's so much more than what is shown on their website.  I purchased the whole package (text, workbook, DVD) for $49.99.  I've been reading it ever since I got it.

The text provides, clear, concise, up-to-date, relevant information.  It clearly explains evolution, the different definitions of evolution, the differences between creationism, evolutionism, and ID.  It explains where ID and evolution agree and where they disagree and why.  It explains how the philosophy of materialism has affected science today. 

The text is comprised of 4 sections broken down into chapters. You can see a sample of the TOC here: http://discoveringid.org/curriculum/

Each chapter ends with discussion questions designed to make the student think critically about their answers.  Interspersed throughout the text are notations to stop and watch a section of the accompanying DVD (if you purchased it).  The text is fully annotated and you can reference the endnotes in their section in the back of the book.  The end of the text also includes the following:

• Recommended additional resources: books, websites, DVDs
  • Appendices A-E: The Scientific Value of ID, Cosmological Calcs. Inflation & String Theories, RNA hypothesis, Precambrian Fossil Record
  • Glossary of terms
  • Index

The workbook includes short comprehension questions, vocabulary questions, essay questions and inquiry activities. The answers are located in the back of the workbook.

This study includes aspects of cosmology, including discussions of the Big Bang, redshift, static universe vs. the kalam argument and how the General Theory of Relativity affected this issue, fine-tuning, cosmological constant, entropy, Quantum Theory, Oscillating Theory, Thermodynamics, etc.  The text then delves into biology, and I'm not even going to attempt to list the exhaustive concepts addressed within it except to say that DNA/RNA and genetics are thoroughly covered.

For those who initially claimed that this wasn't a text written by scientists, well I have to respectfully disagree.  The authors all have backgrounds in science.  However, if you don't feel their backgrounds are sufficient, the front of the text lists their editors and reviewers for the compilation of this curriculum: (I've only listed 5 of the 15)

• Douglas Axe, PhD from Caltech
  • Michael Behe, PhD, Biochemist
  • Charles Garner, PhD, Biochemist
  • Michael Egnor, PhD, Neuroscience
  • Ann Gauger, PhD in developmental biology; BS in Biology from MIT

I need to stress that this curriculum does not bash evolution.  ID scientists embrace parts of evolution.  The curriculum points out where ID diverges from evolution (specifically Neo-Darwinism and the tenets of Materialism) and why.  However this is done in a respectful manner.

I did look on Amazon at the reviews there.  As usual there are the standard ad hominim attacks, by people who never read the text (you can tell by their content), in order to drive down the rating.  It's a shame people can do this. So please don't go by that.

I hope this review has been helpful to those of you who may be interested in trying this curriculum.

Thanks for this post. Do you think this would work for a 6th grader?

I think so.  The concepts are explained very well.

Edited to add: You could always take it more slowly and spread it out over a couple years if you find it's too difficult.  You could also use it to supplement a secular text - providing an alternate view (this is actually suggested in the book). 

I had no idea a curriculum like this existed. I hope I'll remember it (or find it again) in several years when my daughter is ready for it!

Thank you for sharing this information.

There's too much out there to remember. I keep curricula on pinterest boards and my girlfriend keeps a notebook.

Thanks OP.

There's too much out there to remember. I keep curricula on pinterest boards and my girlfriend keeps a notebook.

Thanks OP.

You're very welcome Slache.

I also keep images and hyperlinks of various curricula I'm interested in for the future on a page in my personal Onenote notebook broken down by subject.

Is the curriculum specifically Christian or generally theistic evolution?

No.  It's not theistic and does not endorse any religion.  The very first chapter of the text explicitly points this out and explains exactly what ID is. 

Basically ID is a theory (using the exact same scientific method as that of Darwin and evolution) that affirms that many characteristics of the universe and life are best explained by an intelligent agent.  It never speculates on what that agent is or could be-- just that it must be intelligent rather than have no intelligence at all.  Unlike theistic evolution and creationism, ID does not start with the Bible and end with religious conclusions.  It begins with observations of nature and limits its scientific claims to only what is learned through scientific methods. According to the text ID is not concerned with discovering that intelligent agent because it would then be speculating and invoking philosophy rather than science. 

Edited to add: Many ID scientists and proponents are Christian and believe the intelligent agent is GOD.  However, there are also many secular scientists who also endorse ID because they realize the Neo-Darwinian model is totally flawed and cannot account for the specified complexity observed in nature.  In fact, more and more secular scientists are seeing the pitfalls in Neo-Darwinism; groups like the following: http://www.dissentfromdarwin.org/about.php 

I thought CC stood for Common Core, Classical Conversations, or Community College. Somehow mistaking it for the first option and not recognizing ID to be Intelligent Design, I clicked on this. I did find it interesting to read though even if I arrived by accident. It sounds like a lot is covered by this curriculum!

What age do you think the sweet spot is for this?

I would say anywhere from 6th through 8th.  I plan to use this as an introductory course and then sprinkle in more like the same throughout our high school science courses so DD has all sides to the story of science.  My next purchase will be this for high school:  http://shop.reasons.org/Good-Science-Good-Faith-Complete-Course-Package-p/rs0902.htm 

This course is also designed by actual scientists. It will be integrated appropriately with each science subject.  It looks expensive, but when I researched the cost of purchasing the components individually, it was much more expensive. 

Reasons.or also offers Good Science Good Faith as one-year online class: http://www.reasons.org/education/high-school/overview