Menu

Studying Chemistry through Cooking and Cleaning

Literary Mom

...So we've spent the past few months going through Exploring Creation with Chemistry and Physics (Apologia Young Explorers) and we're just wrapping up the last chapter on chemistry, but I don't feel ready to be done with it (also because we're nowhere near through the periodic table, though they've memorized it thanks to a 1000 piece puzzle of it they recently finished). At the same time, my grandiose plan to spend 1-2 hours a week on "life skills" hasn't panned out, so as I took delight in tasting the butter we made today (chemistry experiment), the idea popped into my head that maybe instead of going forward with physics (which we could save for next year), we ought to spend the rest of the year on chemistry, but make a hybrid of life skills by centering it on cooking and cleaning. We tend to be more bookish around here and neglect those practical, hands-on tasks, so I'm thinking this could be a means toward balance. 

My "curriculum" so far (for my kids ages 8, 10, 12), but I'd love to get other suggestions:

Home Skills for Girls

Home Skills for Boys

Science Experiments You Can Eat

Basher's Periodic Table

The Elements (Visual Guide)

This is intriguing but I'm not sure if the science is up to date and we don't want to use harsh chemicals.

Anyone done anything like this? 

Forgot to say my kids have been loving Masterchef Junior, so that's part of the inspiration. They are quite picky and don't know how to cook anything really, despite my husband and I being total foodies from ethnic cooking families (Filipino and Russian-Jewish mothers!). We have a really tiny kitchen (smallest room in the house besides laundry room/bathrooms) and I'm not a good multi-tasker, so mealtimes don't tend to be an ideal time for cooking instruction. I have no excuses about the cleaning (they do chores, but not actual scrubbing/cleaning type chores) - that and exercise are my least favorite activities :001_rolleyes:

Funny, I was just browsing OCW and requested the textbook from the library, as well as another called What Einstein Told His Cook. I can tell, though, that I'm already veering over into overcomplicating things, so I will probably just read parts of those books for ideas, and stick mainly to the raw materials I already have (pun intended)...unless I can find an actual curriculum like "teaching chemistry through cooking (and cleaning) to elementary aged kids" but no such luck yet...

Found Cooking and Science for Elementary Students, so I may order that as well.

I'm interested in this thread. I was wondering if you have read any reviews on this book?

Can you please post if you find anything else interesting? I clicked on the link and it looks like other books were pulled up from the RR site so that's a good start. :)

Thanks.