Menu

Pregnancy and surgery ?

liber

If you are 7 and half months pregnant having contractions and you might have appendicitis how does surgery work? Would they try and stop contractions first or deliver the baby early then do surgery? My sister is in the hospital with this scenario and I was just wondering how it would all work. I figure I would ask the hive while I wait for news.

I hope your sister is in a hospital with a great bunch of OB-GYNs and Anesthesiologists. Sounds like a real emergency if she has appendicitis. Years ago, one of my wife's nieces had an emergency and she was, fortunately, in the hospital where my wife's OB-GYN has his office. They didn't want to try a C section on her because of her condition. She was extremely anemic if my memory is correct.

I called my wife's OB-GYN and he was on call and he had already seen her. The "baby" is now 14 years old. My wife and I wonder whether the mother and baby would have survived, had she gone to another hospital.

I suspect at 7 1/2 months, if necessary, they would do a C section and then put the baby into the Neonatal ICU. Their goal, obviously, is to save the life of the baby and also the life of the mother, and to do that in the least intrusive way.

My prayers are with your sister and her DH.

They can do laprascoptic surgery and in most cases the baby and pregnancy will not be effected.  There can of course be complications that would result in them needing to deliver the baby so doctors and nurses specifically for the baby will likely already be in the room and prepped for if that happens.  

As long as the appendix has not perforated then they should be able to do a laparoscopic appendectomy.  The appendix moves up as the uterus expands so pregnant women usually do not present with RLQ pain and tenderness.  On the other hand if she is actually in premature labor and the appendicitis has developed into a systemic infection then they may have no choice but to deliver the baby (especially if he/she appears to be in distress). 

I'm thinking positive thoughts for your sister and her child.

I had a friend who had her appendix removed while pregnant. They went over the possible risks which included the baby coming and asked her what she wanted them to do for the baby should that happen. Thankfully all went well. The baby stayed where it belonged.

If you are 7 and half months pregnant having contractions and you might have appendicitis how does surgery work? Would they try and stop contractions first or deliver the baby early then do surgery? My sister is in the hospital with this scenario and I was just wondering how it would all work. I figure I would ask the hive while I wait for news.

I'm wondering how things went.  Any updates?

Update on my sister. They had her on morphine because of the pain. The surgeon came in and said it wasn't her appendix. They did a blood test and it didn't show any infection. Her contractions stopped. But they did give her something for the baby's lungs as a precaution. They kept her in over night and she came home today. They are not sure what the problem was. She was sick all weekend with flu and couldn't keep anything down so they doctors think it has something to do with that.