Menu

3rd gr reading essay, Narnia

Guest jamiecatheryn

Guest jamiecatheryn

This is my 8 year old's second essay.

Prompt: Explain the theme of awakening in Prince Caspian. How had Narnia fallen asleep? Why did Lucy have to wake her siblings up? How did Caspian learn the truth about Narnia?

Waking Up in Prince Caspian

In Prince Caspian, the Pevensie children come back to Narnia, but time moves differently there from our world. It was a long time later and the people and animals of that world had fallen asleep, they forgot the truth. The animals forgot to talk, Aslan and old Narnia were just a forbidden legend. A displaced Telmarine prince learns the truth and gets help to win his crown. It took strength and bravery to wake the world up.

In 1300 years, Narnia changed. Most of the animals lost their speech. They turned wild again. When a gray bear attacked, Susan didn’t want to shoot it because it might be a talking beast, their dwarf friend had to kill it.  â€œâ€™That’s the trouble of it,’ said Trumpkin, ‘when most of the beasts have gone enemy and gone dumb, but there are still some of the other kind left. You never know, and you daren’t wait and see.’ †The Narnians left were hiding. In all that time most had gone dumb and wild.

Almost everybody had forgotten Aslan. Even Peter and Susan forgot to obey him. Lucy saw Aslan on a cliff, and they didn’t see him and follow him, so she didn’t go either at first. That night she followed him finally. Aslan told her to wake the others up, and Lucy should go with him whether they wake up or not. Edmund got excited and agreed with Lucy to look for Aslan. Lucy was brave to wake them up, and Aslan called her a lioness.

Even though his uncle didn’t want him to, Prince Caspian learned about Aslan and Old Narnia. His nurse told him, so did Dr. Cornelius his tutor. After he ran away from his uncle, he met talking animals, fauns, and dwarves. He met Aslan after his uncle was defeated.  The Lion asked him “‘Do you feel yourself sufficient to take up the Kingship of Narnia?’ ‘I-I don’t think I do, Sir,’ said Caspian ‘I’m only a kid.‘ ‘Good’ said Aslan. ‘If you had felt yourself sufficient, it would have been a proof that you were not.’†Waking up to the truth made him ready to be a king and knight.

When Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy came to Narnia the world was different. The animals had stopped talking. Almost nobody knew Aslan anymore. Prince Caspian called them there because he needed their help. Old Narnia needed to be restored. With the Pevensies’ and Aslan’s help, Caspian became King and all of Narnia woke up to the truth.