Menu

McCain picked Sarah Palen, Governor of Alaska, as VP

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's, for the most part, gotten a pass when it comes to experience.

Obama's campaign just came out w/ their official reaction to Palin's nomination. "John McCain has picked a former mayor of a city with the population of 9,000 people w/ no 0 foreign policy experience and she is now a heart beat away from the presidency." I guess they missed her 2 years of executive experience as governor of Alaska. This statement is petty, mean-spirited and completely dismissive of small town voters, in my opinion! It makes me wonder if Obama has really taken a good look at himself in the mirror.

:iagree:

When my babies were that little, you couldn't have ripped them away from me if I were offered "Queen of the World".

Do you realize that Sarah takes that baby to work with her and she carries him around in a snugglie, nurses him at work etc., all while taking care of her other duties? She never "left" the 3-day old baby, she is a great Mom.

It isn't like she's abandoning this sweet baby to the wolves. The dad is a stay-at-home dad. How is that any worse than my husband leaving me for years at a time with the military? Is my husband neglecting his family? Or doing his duty? I'm glad I'm not the one who is serving that sort of duty, but it is not at all uncommon for moms to be the ones on the go these days.

Do you realize that Sarah takes that baby to work with her and she carries him around in a snugglie, nurses him at work etc., all while taking care of her other duties? She never "left" the 3-day old baby, she is a great Mom.

And how cool is that!

I had read an article about her some months ago--about her being a long-shot for the VP position. I really liked what I read about her positions and experience. I NEVER thought McCain would take the risk to choose her. I expected another slightly younger white man--probably a guv.

It was a risk that I think will pay off: the choice automatically solidifies McCain's base. McCain/Palin can now campaign for the swing voters. She is a great public speaker (like Obama and unlike McCain) and despite being inexperienced, has an impressive record of actual reform. She's very interesting--sure to attract a lot of media attention.

How will the country react to an attack dog toting around a baby? Or will she be an attack dog? I thought her speech was calculated to undercut major Obama-Biden themes without being negative. If the campaign remains about fresh faces and change, well here ya go!

The lack of experience is a strong negative imo, but it's the same negative that Obama has. Depends on whether you think of president and vp as figureheads or not.

To me, it's an interesting question: in our current media age, is the real qualification for president the ability to communicate in the media of the day, or is it substance? Another question: Which is more important: experience or character?

Verrrry interesting. Should be a very engaging campaign. Surprise move on this chess board of campaigning. What counter-move will ensue? I was pretty much ignoring this campaign. I may actually end up engaged. :lurk5:

I watched her come out with her family - and I sobbed... To see the pro life cause displayed so beautifully on the world stage. By someone like her - it is truly amazing. And her oldest son was missing bc he is on his way to Iraq.

Money, campaign volunteer - I'll give whatever it takes now.

?? What about this line do you find interesting? I'm sorry, did I miss something? Grammar, spelling, punctuation?? I feel like I have egg on my face and no one want to tell me.:lol:

I PM'd you a bit ago. Sorry. I should have just PM'd you instead of posting first.

I'm saying that a lot lately. Must be time for a board break.

I will delete my post.

She has five children. Debate? Biden won't have nothin' on her. ;)

I'm very excited about the pick. Just googling around to find out some informtaion. So far, she seems fresh, no-nonsense, hard working and non-traditional. I like it. I think I'm going to like this.

Lisa

:lol::lol::lol:

Of course I see why the choice would be attractive to social conservatives and people who live in rural areas. I was just trying to inject another point of view into the discussion since it seems to be so much in Palin's favor. I agree that the question of experience does cut both ways. It all boils down to your political leanings, of course. Please remember that regular Joes and Janes live in big cities, too.

I can't decide how I feel, though, about a woman with a 3 day old baby going back to work and with a 6 month old baby running for VP. On one hand, why shouldn't she?

But I wonder if people will see it different for a woman. I'm trying not to.

Do I like that she went back to work 3 days after giving birth? No. Or taking a 6 month old on the campaign trail.....BUT......after many years of passing judgment on what others do that is different than the choices I would make (such as going back to work with a 3 day old), I've decided that they are the ones to have to live with that decision whether I like it or not. I believe she would be supportive of women that wanted to go back to work soon but would also support those that wanted to take longer before going back or not going back at all.

I appreciate what you are saying here. The first thing that comes to my mind is this - could not the same thing be said for Obama ("it doesn't matter the experience and qualifications, race and gender are more important")? As far as I can tell, Palin, as the *VP* candidate is not any less experienced - all things said and done - than Obama, the *presidential* candidate. Obviously, he has more experience than her in some arenas but the converse of that can be said as well - that she has more experience than him in other areas. All in all, though, neither one is *as* experienced as others on the two tickets. This happens to be one of those times when we have "inexperienced" candidates on the tickets. For me, it boils down to who presents themselves capable enough to head this country's ship enough to warrant my vote.

ITA...I don't think Obama would have been looked at twice if it was not for his youth and skin color!

As far as Palin is concerned, when I heard on the radio McCain had chosen a female running mate, my first thought was "We are doomed!" I feel a lot better after reading about her...I still think it is going to be an uphill battle, but I am more hopeful now.

I'm no fan of Joe Biden, but to say this gal has more experience than his does is a bit odd. :001_huh:

Depends on what one is looking at. She has two years of executive experience as governor. Overall in politics, maybe not so much experience as the others.

I wish I could remember exactly what I read in an article months ago. But what I read made me comfortable with her decision (and it would have bothered me, too) She has access to the baby (and he to her) throughout the day. You can do that kind of thing when you're all the way at the top of the ladder.

I loved seeing older sis carrying the baby off the stage today. :)

Of course I see why the choice would be attractive to social conservatives and people who live in rural areas. I was just trying to inject another point of view into the discussion since it seems to be so much in Palin's favor. I agree that the question of experience does cut both ways. It all boils down to your political leanings, of course. Please remember that regular Joes and Janes live in big cities, too.

Very true, and your point of view is certainly welcome. I've just got to argue with it.:D I guess what I was thinking was the coasts vs "flyover country", as the media likes to put it. We don't usually get much attention or respect from the media and the political class. We're just uneducated rubes.

My cynical reading of the choice is that it blatantly panders to women, with an eye toward wooing disaffected Clinton supporters.

No serious Clinton supporter will be swayed by Palin. And only some of the "I would have voted for her because she's a woman" supporters will.

He's just not gunning for middle-of-the-road women. He's going after his own party base. If he were gunning for Clinton's fans, he would have picked somebody like Christie Todd Whitman. Or even Liebermann!

But he didn't go there. He's going after Ron Paul supporters, after NASCAR moms, and after well-educated but NOT wealthy Republicans who live among all those well-educated people who think that being well-educated means voting Democrat. He's giving bored conservatives, especially bored conservative women, a reason to make the effort. And he's trying to reassure them that being a party maverick is not the same as being a liberal.

Sharon beat me to it, Robin. One of my issues about Obama has been his lack of experience - and I think Pam is correct (elsewhere in this thread) that people have expressed grave concern about this lack.

Yes, but the choices have been made.

Yes, I have grave concerns about Obama's lack of experience, and so I have grave concerns over Palin's lack of experience. So now it comes down to:

* How do I feel about lack of experience in the Presidency, as opposed to the Vice Presidency? One is a heartbeat away from the Presidency, one *is* the Presidency.

* What is the nature of the experience each candidate does have?

So far I prefer the nature of Palin's experience, and I prefer the lack of experience going into the VP slot instead of the Presidential slot.

Wow, you nailed it Sarah. I can't rep you again so soon. More's the pity. This was just so totally on the mark, and I never could have expressed it myself.

No serious Clinton supporter will be swayed by Palin. And only some of the "I would have voted for her because she's a woman" supporters will.

He's just not gunning for middle-of-the-road women. He's going after his own party base. If he were gunning for Clinton's fans, he would have picked somebody like Christie Todd Whitman. Or even Liebermann!

But he didn't go there. He's going after Ron Paul supporters, after NASCAR moms, and after well-educated but NOT wealthy Republicans who live among all those well-educated people who think that being well-educated means voting Democrat. He's giving bored conservatives, especially bored conservative women, a reason to make the effort. And he's trying to reassure them that being a party maverick is not the same as being a liberal.

He's going after Ron Paul supporters, after NASCAR moms, and after well-educated but NOT wealthy Republicans who live among all those well-educated people who think that being well-educated means voting Democrat. He's giving bored conservatives, especially bored conservative women, a reason to make the effort. And he's trying to reassure them that being a party maverick is not the same as being a liberal.

Hey that's me! Well except for the NASCAR part. :tongue_smilie: But yeah, pretty bored here. ;)

Actually I found news articles stating she DID move into the Gov. Mansion.

Quote "Since moving into the governor's mansion in Juneau in December of 2006, Palin has earned a reputation as a reformer...." quote

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2008146486_webpalintimes29m.html

I don't care where she lived (that sounded snarky, but wasn't meant to be aimed at you...just some others have said she did and some she didn't).....it is what she has DONE that matters to me.

I PM'd you a bit ago. Sorry. I should have just PM'd you instead of posting first.

I'm saying that a lot lately. Must be time for a board break.

I will delete my post.

I'm sorry if I sound a little harsh with my comments. I am a little excited and should be more gentle. I don't mean to be rude.

:blush5:

:iagree: I can't think of one more thing to add to this... well said!

I guess I need to learn more about her. I'm just wondering if everyone is evaluating her through the same lens that they would use to evaluate a white male of the same experience/background.

I can't speak for others, but as for myself, I'm not evaluating her on the basis of being a woman. I think it would have sunk McCain's ship if he chose Lieberman or Ridge...not so sure about Romney. I just know that the first two represent (to me)the "old Republican" "good ole boys". If a male were chosen and he had done as much good as Palin has done, then yes, I would be just as excited. It is a bonus to me that she is a woman and near my age.

Palin (sorry, I spelled her name wrong)

Fox is reporting that is has been confirmed by McCain official.

McCain Palin '08 :)

I'm getting my bumper sticker and yard sign!!

YAY! YAY!:hurray:

I love that a woman will on the ballot and that's she's conservative and that she believes we should dill in Alaska...now!

This just cemented my vote for McCain!

Love, Love, Love her!!

I cannot imagine voting because of race and gender. Nor could I in good conscience vote because someone talked a good game.

This is a quotation I love from the National Review message board this morning by Mona Charen

But she is also the opposite of the America Obama sketched last night. He wants us all to think of ourselves as broken, beaten, and in need of government help. He caricatures the conservative message as "You're on your own." Palin, of Alaska, still carries the spark of the frontier, the independence, and the spunk.

Michele

Yep' date=' Biden is a tough debater...[/quote']

However, he's going to have to be very careful. He's known as a scrappy fighter, but now he's going to have to go against a woman. If he comes on too strong, it will really be held against him. I'm not worried about her at all. I so excited to see her as McCain's pick! She's going to be awesome!

But she is also the opposite of the America Obama sketched last night. He wants us all to think of ourselves as broken, beaten, and in need of government help. He caricatures the conservative message as "You're on your own." Palin, of Alaska, still carries the spark of the frontier, the independence, and the spunk.

Michele

Very interesting!

Sharon beat me to it, Robin. One of my issues about Obama has been his lack of experience - and I think Pam is correct (elsewhere in this thread) that people have expressed grave concern about this lack.

Well, see... that's kind of the thing... you can't really attack Obama's lack of experience on one hand, and dismiss Palin's lack of experience on the other.

I'm not saying that people are one dimensional, but it does seem like everyone is pretty excited about him choosing a woman...

Maybe we would be just as excited if it were man of the same convictions. Who knows. It's kind of hard to say... I think her "appeal" is the fact that she is an outside the beltway woman, which can also be a reason to question her qualifications.

It will be interesting to watch!

I'm no fan of Joe Biden, but to say this gal has more experience than his does is a bit odd. :001_huh:

I say this because Biden is a Senator but has never had executive power, or led a government. Palin has. She has reformed many programs, gone up against those in her own party, cut taxes, come up with a workable energy plan and has done so much for Alaska. She has proven to be honest, true to her word and not a "typical" politician.

Well, see... that's kind of the thing... you can't really attack Obama's lack of experience on one hand, and dismiss Palin's lack of experience on the other.

Well, um, yes you can :)! (I'm kidding, folks!) I'm as against double standards as the next guy, but as MamaLynx said, it comes down to "where" you want that (relative, to be fair) lack - the #1 or the #2 spot. It makes a difference, in my opinion.

I'd say Palin is an bold, interesting choice for sure. However, the choice only solidifies my opposition to McCain. (Though in all honesty, his position on the war in Iraq means he never had a chance with me anyway.) My cynical reading of the choice is that it blatantly panders to women, with an eye toward wooing disaffected Clinton supporters. The experience factor is very troubling to me because of McCain's age and health issues. Also since all of her experience has been in a city and state with fairly low populations, I'm not confident in her ability to fully understand the economic and social realities of life in our country's urban centers.

Oh well, if nothing else the McCain-Palin ticket will make for an interesting race.

Susan in TX

Didn't read all the posts but just wanted to add that I thought Palin's speech was a great beginning to the rest of the election season.

She is my new favorite female politician and I am actually excited about this election after all.

BTW, my cousin lives in Anchorage, is pretty high up in the Dept. of Transportation and has only good things to say about her.