Menu

Calculus or Statistics or both for 4th high school math if heading into Economics?

teeterbunch

My son is a junior this year and is taking pre-calculus/trig.  He is planning to major in Economics.  I think he would most enjoy a year long AP Statistics class next year, however, I don't know if he "needs" calculus on his transcript.  Another option is to take a semester of Calculus followed by a semester of Statistics at our local community college.  Advice??

Ashley

Whether he "needs" calc for his transcript depends on whether he is interested in applying to selective and/or highly-selective colleges.

In the long run, he will need calc in order to take calc-based statistics or econometrics in college.  Calc is a prerequisite for econometrics.  He could take calc when he gets to college, of course, preferably freshman year.

I was an Econ major the first time around :) If he can do both, do it. Unless the CC courses will transfer, he'll have to take them in college and having some knowledge under his belt will be a huge help. I'd never done stat and it was an absolute beast for me at the college level. 

Do you know if he wants to do an economics degree in a business school or through a liberal arts/humanities school?  He will need calculus at some point for economics.  How much he needs it on his transcript for college admission will depend on where he aims to go to school.  Some economics programs and specialties are highly mathematical and others are not.  Having a good, solid math background is important. Generally, I think calculus will provide a stronger background than statistics will at this point (but, of course, it always depends on the teacher, etc. for any given class).