Menu

Ready to Throw My Daughter's Kindle Fire Through a WALL!!!!

Chelli

I am starting this thread now as a cautionary tale for those purchasing or thinking about purchasing Kindle Fires for Christmas.

My daughter got a Kindle Fire HD for her birthday this summer (July). The first one she got went black after one month. It wouldn't charge. It wouldn't turn on. It wouldn't do anything. So Amazon sent us a replacement.

After one week, the replacement (which was a refurbished one not a new one like we had bought) began to just randomly shut off in the middle of reading a book, playing a game, etc. It didn't time out since we were busy using it at the time. Now it will only work without shutting off if you keep it hooked up to the charger. I know that we could send it back to Amazon for another one since it's still within a year, but I am just DONE with Kindle Fires. I have a Kindle Touch that I adore and it has never given me a problem at all.

I just hate to think of the money that went down the drain for this tablet. I wanted a portable device that the kids could take on car trips to watch movies, read, and play, but we have to keep it hooked up all the time for it not to shut down, so it's not really portable at all. 

So if you were planning on a Fire for Christmas I would highly think of getting a different tablet. BTW, once I started researching this I discovered that this is a common problem with the Fires. Very common..

Which charger are you using? The black usb cable with the black fatter charger works better. The white usb cable is not so good. If the charger is faulty it would fry every kindle. I have burnt one ipad charger at the end connection :lol:

My kids kindles HD and HDX survived more than 8hr long car rides.

ETA:

I tried the kindle cable with my iPhone charger. Don't charge as well but will still charge.

Which charger are you using? The black sub cable with the black fatter charger works better. The white usb cable is not so good. If the charger is faulty it would fry every kindle. I have burnt one ipad charger :lol:

My kids kindles HD and HDX survived more than 8hr long car rides.

We're using the one that came with it. It's black.

It's not a charger problem. It's some kind of software glitch or something.

There's all kind of theories floating around on the internet about how to fix it, but basically no one knows.

It's not a charger problem. It's some kind of software glitch or something.

There was quite a few software updates. My old 7" HD is now running Fire OS 4.1.1 with no issues so far.

I don't know if Amazon would let you exchange your faulty one for the new 6". I like the size and the back camera of my newer 6" kindle fire HD.

ETA:

I mean it's a waste that you got a lemon which end up being an irritating white elephant.

I'm sorry your having so much trouble!  I had the same problem with my Kindle Fire.  Amazon replaced it once during the warranty period.  It had some sort of software glitch and suddenly wouldn't take a charge.  Now I'm out of warranty and it stopped working again.   Same thing happened to my niece.  My three boys however each have one and have had no trouble and it's been two years of use.  I hope Amazon can get this fixed for you!

We have a first generation that we had replaced a couple times, they even replaced it once after the one year warranty had expired.

We also have a newer one (1.5 years old) that has never had any issues.

What are you plugging the black cord into? I have found the kindles to be VERY picky about what kind of usb wall charger they will charge with.

How about calling and asking for a refund instead of another Kindle, since you're on your second one with problems.   In your position I wouldn't want another one, but you shouldn't have to take the financial hit for a nonworking device under warranty.

ETA:  We're a Fire family here, with one coming up on 2 years old, and another just over a year old, with no problems at all. 

On the other hand, we have a bazillion Fires and no trouble that wasn't self-caused.  They are awesome little Tablets.

Got two original Fires when they first came out.  One quit working (our fault)*, still have the other.  Works great.  Got 5 7" HD's and one 8.9" HD when they came out.  With the exception of one of the 7" HD's they are all doing great.  The one that isn't is my 6 year old's.  He's had it almost 2 years now and has dropped it a *lot.*  He killed it (volume would randomly go up... once in the middle of church) while on a trip to Ireland where he used it a lot (and I suspect the inverters we had to use for charging were part of the issue because they all acted up a little on that trip only).  When we got home, we called Amazon.  They replaced it immediately (no problem getting a refurbished one to replace... after all ours wasn't new anymore).  It's been a year and a half since then and at some point the external buttons quit working.  Then it wouldn't turn on at all.  My husband opened it up and found a couple random screws floating around inside (have I mentioned the kid has dropped his Fire more than a few times???).  He removed those screws and the thing went back to working.  And the external buttons work again.

We also have an 8.9" HDX that works great, too.

*Whatever you do, I'd recommend NOT using a Fire while it's being charged.  All issues we've had with them (other than my kid dropping his a lot) have been related to using them while charging.  This is why the one original Fire quit working.  Using it while charging is a big no-no.

My kindle fire also stopped charging a long time ago FWIW.... I think it was less than a year old, but by the time I got around to doing anything, it was past the warranty.  Everything I was reading with regard to my difficulty indicated that the charger port on the Kindle Fire may be faulty.  Too bad there doesn't seem to be any place to get it fixed without sending it back.

My dh got me an iPad mini for my birthday, so that solves the tablet need (for tablet purposes, I much prefer the iPad), though I still wish I had the Kindle occasionally when there's a book I just don't want to wait for.  Mostly I prefer real books anyway.  (Dh has a paperwhite and **loves** it - it has been in constant use for a couple years now)

Since I now have the iPad mini, if I wanted a new Kindle, I'd just get the Paperwhite or latest similar model.  I would not get the Fire.

I'd get my money back AND be vocal about the replacement being a refurbished one! I can't believe they did that!

I've known them to be generous when they make a mistake, so I'd DEFINITELY complain.

Most of the replacement Kindles they send out are refurbs from what I understand. That part really made me angry too. I spent money for a new one. I want a new one for my replacement, KWIM?

:cursing:

I know that I should send this one back too, but I fear getting burned again.

One person on the Amazon forum said they were on their FOURTH KIndle Fire, and it was still having the same issue. Most people had just given up of ever getting it fixed and had moved on to a different product.

I would rather have my money back and get a different tablet.

Usually I am so impressed with Amazon, but this situation is making me view them in a different light.

for thoe that just bought tablets for Christmas, I want to suggest a square trade warranty! I have square trade on my regular kindle,and when it broke they just sent me the money for a new one via paypal!  Square trade is awesome. We bought Kindle Fires for the kids for Christmas, but I feel pretty confident because we bought the square trade warranties on them. 

Yes, get your money back. I think it's terrible business to send a refurb!

That's actually *normal* business practice.  Yours is no longer new either.  In many cases, they are replacing something several months old and due to reasons that are user-caused.  They replaced my son's Fire no questions asked even though the problems were very much user caused.  Also, remember that a refurb can be something someone never even took out of the package and then returned.  Any time something is in a user's hand and returned it is then called a refurb.  It doesn't mean it was something someone had that broke.  They are often just as new as a brand new one would be.

My kindle fire also stopped charging a long time ago FWIW.... I think it was less than a year old, but by the time I got around to doing anything, it was past the warranty.  Everything I was reading with regard to my difficulty indicated that the charger port on the Kindle Fire may be faulty.  Too bad there doesn't seem to be any place to get it fixed without sending it back.

FYI, this was a problem with the *first* generation Kindle Fires only.  Not the HDs or HDXs.  Generally the charger port would get loose after it was used while in the process of charging it, but sometimes it was just because it was plugged in too hard too many times (and "hard" didn't have to be super hard, just firm).  They changed the charging set up when they moved to second generation (HD).  Weirdly, they also got rid of the very useful charging light in the process of that change.

Whoa... I'm just reading the OP....

And I just got a Kindle Fire HD.

My husband set it up a couple days ago, but I haven't tried to use it yet.

I guess I should use it to see if it gives me any trouble, so that I can exchange

it if it turns out to be a lemon.

Did you get a Kindle Fire HD 6, 7, or 8? I got a 6....

FYI, this was a problem with the *first* generation Kindle Fires only.  Not the HDs or HDXs.  

I have a first generation HD (7") that I bought 2 years ago. I haven't had any problems with it at all. It charges fine, holds a charge for a decent amount of time (unless I'm watching videos), and has never been glitchy.

My Kindle Keyboard screen cracked but that was a user problem. The user (yours truly) dropped it and it hit the corner of a table. We have/had 5 other e-ink Kindles in our household and none have had any problems. We all upgraded to Paperwhites, and I recently sold the 2 older ones. One was a Touch (discontinued) the other a Basic. Both were in excellent condition and never gave us any problems.

Whoa... I'm just reading the OP....

And I just got a Kindle Fire HD.

My husband set it up a couple days ago, but I haven't tried to use it yet.

I guess I should use it to see if it gives me any trouble, so that I can exchange

it if it turns out to be a lemon.

Did you get a Kindle Fire HD 6, 7, or 8? I got a 6....

It's a Kindle Fire HD 7". I'm assuming the 6, 7, or 8 is referring to size.

Hopefully it will work for you.

Apparently quite a few folks have no trouble at all.

I have a first generation HD (7") that I bought 2 years ago. I haven't had any problems with it at all. It charges fine, holds a charge for a decent amount of time (unless I'm watching videos), and has never been glitchy.

Ditto for one year. I have had to replace the charger and cord after six months of heavy use. I have had to use the soft reset button, especially if I've been using it for video or trying to surf faster than it can keep up, but it's always corrected the problem.

I had a first generation Kindle Fire that gave me a lot of trouble, but they bent over backwards to keep me in one that worked, even sending me a replacement three months after the warranty was up.

We have 2 original kindle fires (one's even a cheapie refurb) and both have stood hard use for more than a year. I do sometimes have to wiggle the charger to get it working and I've had to try several different chargers. The most reliable charger for us is a $5 Motorola usb wall socket charger. If you can't get them to give you a replacement, I'd fool around with all of your chargers. You might get lucky.

I have a Kindle Key board, first and second generation Fires. Just ordered the new HD Fires for Christmas. We have had a few issues with the charger port, but the newer ones seem to be better than the first generation. I have had three replacements. Customer service is amazing, and they always send the new before we have to return the old. I have thought again and again about other options. But for the price, I just can't beat the Kindles. Now with front and rear facing, and printing option. I am just over the moon.

My DS10 has a Kindle Fire HD 7" and he uses it constantly, every day.  It has been nearly a year.  He never has had an issue.  Not once.  It has been awesome.  Perhaps your charger is bad or you just got a fluke defective one?  Seriously, contact them and have them replace it with a new one, and a new charger, too.  It shouldn't have this issue.  I know a lot of people with Kindle Fires.  Not one has had that issue.

There is nothing wrong with the charge. It holds a charge beautifully and charges up just fine.

The issue is that when you are in the middle of doing something it will just kick itself into sleep mode for no reason. It's totally random and unpredictable. In the middle of watching a movie and it will suddenly go black. In the middle of playing a game and it just goes into sleep mode. Reading a book, sleep mode. It is not timing out from inactivity because you will have just been touching it. If you keep it plugged into the charger while you are using the Kindle, then it doesn't do that. Not sure why, but it works without going into sleep mode if you do that.

I'm going to contact Amazon tomorrow and see if we can get another one. Here's hoping third times the charm.

I know that I should send this one back too, but I fear getting burned again.

One person on the Amazon forum said they were on their FOURTH KIndle Fire, and it was still having the same issue. Most people had just given up of ever getting it fixed and had moved on to a different product.

I would rather have my money back and get a different tablet.

Usually I am so impressed with Amazon, but this situation is making me view them in a different light.

Which Kindle Fire is it?  Is it all of them or just certain models (generations)?

We just bought three for Christmas!  The 6" HD one.

Which Kindle Fire is it?  Is it all of them or just certain models (generations)?

We just bought three for Christmas!  The 6" HD one.

The original one was just purchased this summer. It was a Kindle Fire 7" HD. That one was not working within a week of getting it (wouldn't turn on/solid black screen).

The next one they sent us was also a Kindle Fire 7" HD, but it is a refurb. This one now has trouble with going into sleep mode randomly. You can get it to turn on and work, but you have to keep it plugged in to the charger the entire time.

There is nothing wrong with the charge. It holds a charge beautifully and charges up just fine.

The issue is that when you are in the middle of doing something it will just kick itself into sleep mode for no reason. It's totally random and unpredictable. In the middle of watching a movie and it will suddenly go black. In the middle of playing a game and it just goes into sleep mode. Reading a book, sleep mode. It is not timing out from inactivity because you will have just been touching it. If you keep it plugged into the charger while you are using the Kindle, then it doesn't do that. Not sure why, but it works without going into sleep mode if you do that.

I'm going to contact Amazon tomorrow and see if we can get another one. Here's hoping third times the charm.

I would just call Amazon and get another one.  You have nothing to lose.  They will keep replacing them for you, at least until the 1 year warranty is up.

I'd get my money back AND be vocal about the replacement being a refurbished one! I can't believe they did that!

I've known them to be generous when they make a mistake, so I'd DEFINITELY complain.

Sending a refurb replacement has been their standard response for a very long time. It is written into their policy as how it will be handled. It is not an unusual policy, and not unique to Amazon. 

I have been very happy with Amazon overall, but their response to problems with Kindles, not just the Fire, is generally "so sorry, but there is nothing we can do." Yes, they will send a replacement out as long as it is under warranty, but the day it stops, they stop. I have found all of the Kindles to be very low on lifespan. It hasn't stopped me from purchasing them yet. But, when my Paperwhite appeared to be dead a month ago (three days out of  warranty), I decided I was done. But, after the Amazon help people gave up on it (and they didn't try very hard!), I was able to revive it. Not sure how long it will last, but it has stopped doing the strange things it was doing for now.

I've had a kindle go wonky a couple of times and had luck rebooting them. You hold down the on button for about a minute (it's supposed to be 30 seconds, but all the help boards suggest doing it for a full minute and that's been my experience too). Then turn the kindle on and it will start with a black screen, then display the logo for a minute or so and then go back to its home page. This procedure has solved all the weird glitches I've encountered, but I've never had Chelli's problem.

Good luck!