Menu

Chemist for the young

desertflower

Hello!

I was wondering what one does with a almost 6 year old who loves to mix things?  He's been like this since he was little (2? 3?).  I just assumed it was a part of being a kid.  But I really think he enjoys it.

So, I got this idea from another thread:  buy jumbo test tubes, set towels down, set flour, corn starch, salt, vinegar, etc near the kitchen sink and let him at it.  I also bought droppers.  Graduated beakers are on the way.  I have color tablets for the 2 year old. 

Is there anything else I can do?  That suggestion was brilliant!  I can't believe I didn't think of it before.  :) 

Kits are fine.  I don't necessarily want to make anything at this stage, but please don't hesitate to make any suggestions along those lines. 

I'm just wondering if there's something else that I can do for my son. 

I'm going to ask x-post this.

Thanks for any input!

Thank you Curlymom!  I actually do have RSO chemistry.  lol  I just ordered extra student pages.  :)  We do like it as well.  Especially that first experiment.  :) 

I was stumped on the next lesson.  I can't remember why.  I think I needed something from the material list.  Anyhow, I went ahead and ordered the kit from Home Science tools.  :) 

He's always wanting to do more experiments.  I'm so tired of him mixing water and toothpaste at nights.  lol  :)

I'm so excited to check out the website you mentioned along with Guest Hollow!  You Be the Chemist sounds right up his alley! 

So what do you guys put flour, corn meal, and baking soda in? I went to the Container Store and bought small salt and pepper shakers, but they are coming out too slow. My kids just end up taking off the top. :P I guess the grain is too thick for the holes? Do I need bigger salt and pepper shakers?

Anyone still reading this thread. lol Do I need to start a new topic. :)

So what do you guys put flour, corn meal, and baking soda in? I went to the Container Store and bought small salt and pepper shakers, but they are coming out too slow. My kids just end up taking off the top. :p I guess the grain is too thick for the holes? Do I need bigger salt and pepper shakers? Anyone still reading this thread. lol Do I need to start a new topic. :)

Hmm, you could use containers with plastic lids and poke your own holes.

So what do you guys put flour, corn meal, and baking soda in? I went to the Container Store and bought small salt and pepper shakers, but they are coming out too slow. My kids just end up taking off the top. :P I guess the grain is too thick for the holes? Do I need bigger salt and pepper shakers?Anyone still reading this thread. lol Do I need to start a new topic. :)

Get a drill and bit and make the holes bigger.

We are using Science-4-kids Chemistry with my 6 year old and he's really enjoying the whole molecule-atom-periodic table thing. We've also done the Chemistry experiments in the Science Wiz kit and the Candy Experiment book and some Polymer kit and he has loved all of them. He's always welcome to make his own experiments with the leftovers after we do the ones in the book. I plan to get him some plastic atoms to play with and a good microscope a little later on. 

We are using Science-4-kids Chemistry with my 6 year old and he's really enjoying the whole molecule-atom-periodic table thing. We've also done the Chemistry experiments in the Science Wiz kit and the Candy Experiment book and some Polymer kit and he has loved all of them. He's always welcome to make his own experiments with the leftovers after we do the ones in the book. I plan to get him some plastic atoms to play with and a good microscope a little later on.

Interesting. I'll check out the kits. Thanks for the info.

Is science 4 kids the same as real science 4 kids by Dr. Keller?