Menu

X-post: Interesting Chemistry Book to Give for Christmas?

Mrs Twain

(I posted this on the K-8 board, too.)

I am looking for an interesting chemistry book to buy for my daughter. I know chemistry is not generally considered fun, but she has a science brain and is particularly curious about this field. For example, she watches the University of Edinburgh periodic table videos during her leisure time, which by the way are first rate if you haven't seen them.

Any ideas? The history of chemistry, or a basic introduction to the field, or anything of that sort may do.

Theodore Gray has his Elements books, but also has an absolutely gorgeous new book called Molecules. I bought it for Christmas and it is stunning. Full page spreads with pics of the molecule and a history of that molecule.

We are away for the weekend but when I return home I can list some of our favorites. There are fun reads, like Napoleon's Buttons or Cooking with Einstein as well. Hubby and I are both chemists so tend to have a lot of books like that laying around:)

Thank you for all of these ideas. I am going to buy Gray's Elements book now, and probably the Molecules book in the future. They do look beautiful as well as useful.

We have LOF Physics, and I'll likely get LOF Chemistry, too.

My library has Disappearing Spoon, and I requested it.

Thank you!!!