Menu

If my son loves the band Dream Theater, he will like.... (Christmas ideas needed)

Tap

My son loves progressive metal.... or hard rock music with minimal lyrics, especially if it has a classical feel.  He has about 10 of the Dream Theater albums so I would love to get him something to expand his music tastes a bit.   He listens to some Christian rock, some old 80s heavy metal, a few modern artists but mostly...he really loves bands who emphasize the music over the lyrics. 

Any suggestions? 

Ds is a big music person, and he has found a lot of bands by looking at "what others bought" on Amazon. He looks at the ones he wants and sometimes clicks the similar ones and ends up going to listen to them to see what they are all about. He is more of someone who likes finding new independent bands though so I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

I just asked my husband, who is really into metal and also loves Dream Theater, suggested that you go to Pandora and start a Dream Theater station. They'll play bands who are similar in style and you can find some new favorites that way. This is a really great way to find new music because you can like or dislike the songs as they come up so it really narrows down what you are looking for.

His other recommendations:

Porcupine Tree (Progressive Rock metal band from England - my son met the drummer at a drum clinic a while ago and he was really nice)

Zombie Frogs (this is another band from Berklee, my sons opened for them a few months ago at a local show)

Liquid Tension Experiment and Transatlantic (these are both side projects with some guys from Dream Theater)

Symphony X

Pendragon

And for something a little heavier, you might try Gojira (my sons saw them in concert and thought they were pretty awesome)

I just asked my husband, who is really into metal and also loves Dream Theater, suggested that you go to Pandora and start a Dream Theater station. They'll play bands who are similar in style and you can find some new favorites that way. This is a really great way to find new music because you can like or dislike the songs as they come up so it really narrows down what you are looking for.

His other recommendations:

Porcupine Tree (Progressive Rock metal band from England - my son met the drummer at a drum clinic a while ago and he was really nice)

Zombie Frogs (this is another band from Berklee, my sons opened for them a few months ago at a local show)

Liquid Tension Experiment and Transatlantic (these are both side projects with some guys from Dream Theater)

Symphony X

Pendragon

And for something a little heavier, you might try Gojira (my sons saw them in concert and thought they were pretty awesome)

Yeah!  Thank you! He does use Pandora, but I wanted to surprise him with a couple CDs for Christmas. He has some LTE so you are on the right track. He is getting very hard to buy for so I have him pick out all his presents and then I just buy them.  LOL  I try every year to find one or two things that he isn't expecting and I was thinking about music this year. :0)  (Last year it was some Manga movies/Studio Ghibli films)

Ds is a big music person, and he has found a lot of bands by looking at "what others bought" on Amazon. He looks at the ones he wants and sometimes clicks the similar ones and ends up going to listen to them to see what they are all about. He is more of someone who likes finding new independent bands though so I'm not sure how helpful that would be.

Good idea. :0) Thanks