Menu

My son's xbox live and email account was hacked

Mandylubug

Seriously, boys gaming drama! We have had it lately.

Today my boys account and email was hacked. Then their gamertag, email and contact info was deleted off. Funny enough, the new email added was the very same gamertag as a kid that was picking on them during a online match.

DH is online trying to get it fixed. I am just shocked! Who knew?!

This wasn't a random hack, obviously.  My kids have both played a very popular MMORPG for several years. Other players are ALWAYS giving out their passwords, real names, addresses, and other personal info. 

Precautions:  do not share personal info or log in info. 

The problem comes with enforcing that.

I doubt they gave it out. The guy was arguing with him because he had to drop out of the raid on his game to come to dinner. I asked them a second time and can tell when they aren't being truthful. They were targeted but they didn't give any info out.

It is a hassle. The "I was hacked" stuff is largely "I gave out my info" for that age group and gamers. I would be surprised if this was an exception.

It is a hassle. The "I was hacked" stuff is largely "I gave out my info" for that age group and gamers. I would be surprised if this was an exception.

If i hadn't heard the altercation from the other room nor knew how ocd my son was for following rules (which he knows that in no circumstances is he to share that info), I would tend to agree. However, I am choosing to actually believe my son in this instance.

We actually found activity on their email account requesting security codes, confirming said requested codes and notifications that the email account was now deleted. So it wasn't just a simple, "hey, I can't seem to log in! I've been hacked!" situation. The guy actually told him in the game if he dropped from the raid he'd "pay for it" my son said "whatever, we'll see about that." And then came to dinner. I asked him who he was being so rude to and he said just a random jerk online. DH was actually logged into his email when more verification emails came through while this random person was accessing his accounts. Supposedly, Microsoft has the account locked and is tracing the activity.