Menu

where do I buy a top hat?

redsquirrel

My son wants a top hat. A real one that he can wear.  His grandfather had a real top hat that he wore to functions (yes, he lived that sort of life) but grandpa gave the hat to another grandchild long ago.

My son has sort of a goth thing going and wants a top hat. I won't tell him, but he will look adorable, lol.

I checked on Amazon and they do have a bunch, but I am worried it won't fit or will be super cheap.

It is looking like wool is the best choice? I want an actual hat that can be worn for a while, not one that is meant to be worn one or twice as part of a costume.

Thank you so much!  I will look into all of those options. I will start with a local tux rental place first I guess. We have a couple because of the colleges in town. I didn't even think of that.  I will also google goth clothes.  Ebay is another great idea, and I also though of etsy as a possibility.

I should have mentioned, my son is almost 15 so I am pretty sure he takes an adult hat size. 

I have a great start now.  Thanks!

Etsy has some great classic or vintage or steampunk top hats. For instance https://www.etsy.com/listing/150369463/stthba-black-wool-felt-top-hat-in-sizes Search around some and there is some really neat stuff... vintage beaver top hats seem to start >$250 so yes wool felt looks the way to go. In general etsy is a great source for goth and steampunk fashion.

Locally, if money were no object, I would go to the local branch of Goorin Bros. Not so much because of quality, though it is very good, but more for the whole shopping experience. http://www.goorin.com/hat-shops/uptown They have a couple dozen location so that might be an option.