Menu

Thanksgiving mishaps (updated #30)

bettyandbob

So far I've only burned coconut flakes ths were a garnish and I had more to toast so not a mishap.

My sister just called. Her dh woke her up with "I can't find the turkey or the blue ray remote. " the remote says something about his priorities. So, they looked in the car and garage since the turkey wasn't in the refrigerator. Her dh is now at the grocery buying a turkey. I asked my sister if he knew not to buy a frozen one star this point.

No word on the blue ray remote.

I'm waiting to hear that my brother in law bought a frozen turkey.

A few years back, my mom had gotten a new gas oven that had a sort of "dashboard" electric control panel.  In order to get the over on, you set the temp, then pressed "on".  Four hours into cooking a HUGE turkey for some 45 people, we noticed there were not any delirious turkey smells coming from the kitchen.  Yeah, the "on" button never got pushed.  My grandmas ran to the store and picked up a ham.  LOL. 

Yesterday was supposed to be my cleaning and prep day.  My fail is that it never got done.  LOL  I need to get up this morning and get busy, but alas here I sit. :seeya: ......oooops.   :blushing:  Ok, last post I promise.    

DD16 has had a rough month emotionally and was finally herself again, so I was really enjoying having her fun personality back.  :0)  One thing she really wanted to do was to buy an artificial tree and decorate it.  I wanted to wait until Friday but she was determined to do it last night, so I gave in. LOL  We are planning two trees this year and this is the extra tree.  The main family tree will be a live tree, and will still be decorated in our family tradition in a couple of weeks. 

We made a 6pm run to Costco and  bought the tree.  We put dd8 to bed around 830 liken normal and waited until she was asleep to get out the decorations.. It was so very nice to have just DH, the teenagers and myself decorating, visiting and having fun. DD8 makes everything very stressful and loud. I am so used to her constant chaos, whining and tantrums.... that just having a few normal hours of time away from her, are like having a week long vacation from work. I really adore these stolen opportunities to just be content and happy at a holiday with my older kids.   I got out about a half of the ornaments and decorated the tree. DD16 wrapped a few presents. DD16 also got out some other decorations and put them out around the house. We watched the Grinch about midnight and it was so much fun to hear my older kids laughing and joking without them having to deal with dd8.  I think this may now be a tradition of its own.  :0)   But I know we will catch a lot of teasing from the family today when they show up for Thanksgiving and find it looking more like Christmas.  LoL

Don't feel bad for DD8 being left out. She was elated to wake up to see Christmas decorations and we will still have the main tree to decorate with her in a couple of week, so she will still have plenty of decorating to do also.  

My MIL, bless her heart, is notorious for actually getting the food to the table at least an hour after she tells everyone we'll eat.  We have literally never eaten on time at MILs, we just plan on it.  A few years ago we were all starving but it was just about time to eat.  We do it buffet style so all the sides were on the kitchen counter ready to go and she pulled something out of the oven in a Pyrex dish and set it directly on a hot burner.  It exploded everywhere!  Shards of glass flew into all the food and nothing, except the desserts which were on another table, were edible.  Luckily a local grocery was ope so we rushed over there, bought up half a dozen loaves of bread and probably all the Turkey Lunchmeat they had in stock.  For that Thanksgiving we had turkey sandwiches and desserts, but it was still a fun, memorable Thanksgiving and we now have a story to tell about That Thanksgiving.

The new roasting pan won't fit in my stupid oven!  :cursing:  We bought the pan last week, DH measured and assured me it would fit, it kinda fits. :glare:  I will have to put in in so the handles are facing the front & back of the oven and turn the stupid thing during cooking. Still not sure why we do a turkey every year when we don't even really like turkey that much.  :confused1:

DS2 started coughing yesterday morning and had a slight temp last night. DS3 slept for 2 hours after school. When he finally woke up this morning DS2 had a temp of 101 so no Thanksgiving traveling for us. He went right back to bed afterward. 

Instead dh and DS1 are driving 7 hours to visit his parents. His mother has progressive dementia. She can't communicate well but she's been really looking forward to seeing everyone. 

Happy Thanksgiving to me. I'm going to let the sick kids watch tv all day and we'll eat whenever the food is done. I'm going to get a lot of knitting done. I'm just not up to whooping this up alone with sick kids. 

So did the SIL ever find the blue ray remote and the turkey?

I will call my sister later. I'm worried about the remote. She is having her MIL, two BILs, her young fault kids and husband. I have a feeling the blue ray is way more important to at least half that group and besides turkey she was grilling some lamb. I need to find out how her meal went, but I think she's in the middle of it now. I've got to go finish a couple of my sides that I am taking to my neighbor's (there's still time for me to goof up)

DS2 started coughing yesterday morning and had a slight temp last night. DS3 slept for 2 hours after school. When he finally woke up this morning DS2 had a temp of 101 so no Thanksgiving traveling for us. He went right back to bed afterward.

Instead dh and DS1 are driving 7 hours to visit his parents. His mother has progressive dementia. She can't communicate well but she's been really looking forward to seeing everyone.

Happy Thanksgiving to me. I'm going to let the sick kids watch tv all day and we'll eat whenever the food is done. I'm going to get a lot of knitting done. I'm just not up to whooping this up alone with sick kids.

I'm right there with you except I started not feeling so great today too :( . Waiting for DH to get home with leftovers from dinner with his family. I'm very thankful that DS1 started eating again today!!!! Hope everyone is feeling better soon!!!!

I am sitting here with my right hand in a big bowl of ice water. Oven mitt was on the left hand. I picked up the 350 degree cookie sheet with my right.

Thank goodness I got most of my work done last night.

Ouch. Ouch, ouch.  So sorry for you. I'm a big sissy about burns so I really have sympathy for you. Hope you heal up quickly. :grouphug:

I stopped a small flood. My almost 4-year-old first cousin once removed was screaming his sister's name from the bathroom. His dad assumed they were there together and yelled at him to stop yelling :). I knew she was outside so I ran to check. The sink was filling faster than it could drain and the water/bubbles had just reached the top as I arrived. He was panicking and didn't know what to do.

Someone asked for an update yesterday. 

My brother in law forgot the reciept when going to the grocery yesterday (they surmised that they probably left the turkey in the grocery cart when they loaded the car. However turkeys were 1/2 price. Dinner was late, but my sister did manage to feed her inlaws. 

The remote was found. Televised sports were available. So peace prevailed. 

First Thanksgiving with an adult child far enough away that she couldn't come home.  Sigh...

The men in the house decided that it would be fine to scale back the feast, so I could spend time putting up the tree with them, so that was nice! (They wanted it all over with in one fell swoop, since their sister wasn't here.) 

The news of the day was that something is wrong with my 15 yo oven, and today was the day for it to behave strangely.  It kept shutting itself off.  I must have turned it back on 20 times throughout the afternoon.  But we limped across the finish line (ham, potato casserole, and an oniony/cheese-melty French bread loaf) by 6pm, so it worked out.  I'm not much of a Black Friday shopper, so I'm about to start appliance repair shopping by phone.

Before the guests arrived I asked my adult son to get the zippo lighter off the high shelf next to the tv and light the scented candle next to the kitchen sink.

A couple of hours later my DD called me into the TV room.  My son interpreted what I said as to get the lighter and then grab nearby decorative candles and light them on the mantle underneath the TV.  Our nice wall mounted TV now is melted about 2 inches by 6 inches.

During Thanksgiving dinner he said he is very thankful for forgiveness  :lol:

Before the guests arrived I asked my adult son to get the zippo lighter off the high shelf next to the tv and light the scented candle next to the kitchen sink.

A couple of hours later my DD called me into the TV room. My son interpreted what I said as to get the lighter and then grab nearby decorative candles and light them on the mantle underneath the TV. Our nice wall mounted TV now is melted about 2 inches by 6 inches.

During Thanksgiving dinner he said he is very thankful for forgiveness :lol:

Yikes! Thank goodness it is just a melted t.v. and the house didn't burn.

Instead of turning the crock pot from low to high, dh (who stubbornly refuses to wear reading glasses despite a real need for them) turned it from low to "keep warm." When I noticed the ham wasn't making progress and discovered the error, I had to take it out, slice it and roast it off in the oven. Made it to the feast location right at the designated time for the meal, so all worked out okay.

Our refrigerator died at some point (must have been wednesday), and I didn't realize it. Dh was putting away the leftovers and noticed that the stuff in the fridge wasn't really cold. He checked the freezer and everything there was  melted and soft. Since Thanksgiving leftovers are close to sacred to dh, :lol: and he did not want them wasted, we ran out to Best Buy where all the black friday crazies were  :tongue_smilie: on Thanksgiving at 7 oclock at night and bought a new fridge. It was hard to find one that they actually had in stock and available right then. I didn't care what color, and I even begged the guy for a floor model by round three, but, no, he wouldn't do it. We were there forever. Finally we got our 4th choice which pushed our price point higher :glare: by $200. But, I will say it is a nice one. My mom asked what size it was, and I didn't even know. It was available, that's all that mattered :lol: . It was late by the time we got it home, in the house and got the old one out. big sigh.

Oh, it turns out that it is 26 cu ft, stainless steel, and has some nice features...none of which I knew about when we purchased it. That is so outside of my comfort zone. I researched  breadmakers for a whole month before I committed to one. I polled every person I knew who made bread. That is the kind of shopper that I normally am. :lol: