Menu

Birding and other nature book/apps rec. wanted

I want us to learn to identify more of the local birds (I'm really just familiar with the most common varieties) and I'm hoping you guys can help me find resources to do that. I have a bird field guide but that doesn't really help me when we're out there. I'm not fast enough or knowledgeable enough. Likewise with things like trees, I'm not sure I'll really growing in knowledge. Perhaps I should get state specific field guides? All the ones I have are well-reviewed but North American so generally there is a lot to wade through before finding info that is local. I just talked to my local Conservation Dept but evidently budget cuts means they no longer keep all the free publications around. Any favorite app or resource?

For trees:

Leafsnap is the best ID app I've found. You have to use almost perfect specimens on a plain, light-colored background (white piece of paper is the best but a sidewalk works too).

Our favorite tree field guide is National Wildlife Federations's Field Guide to Trees of North America. Fabulous pictures! Good general info in the front. Divided into seven color-coded sections based on type of leaf (needle, scale, fan, opposite, alternate and compound, alternate and simple, palms/yuccas/cacti). The first page of each section gives an index for subgroups based on that type of leaf---for example, the 'trees with opposite leaves' is divided into 'palmately compound' , 'pinnately compound', 'simple, lobed', 'simple, heart-shaped', 'simple, unlobed, untoothed', and 'simple, unlobed, toothed'. Each subgroup is further divided (on the index pages) based on type of fruit, in case fruit is available while trying to identify.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Wildlife-Federation-Field-America/dp/1402738757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417011515&sr=8-1&keywords=National+wildlife+tree+field+guide

I find it impossible to identify anything unless I have taken the time to learn more about the species, first. I think of identification as a rhetoric skill with a bunch of grammar and logic learning that needs to take place first.

I think it's great if MOM knows a bunch about nature and can tell children the names of plants, but for first generation families, naming things is an overwhelming goal.

You can observe without naming.

You can learn some vocabulary to describe. You will need to choose whether the vocabulary used to describe is familiar words or scientific names. I, personally, think it's better to call a duck's body boat shaped, and leaf as round or heart shaped, than to teach the child scientific vocabulary. 

On rainy days, you can read some of the free vintage nature study readers, to prepare students to better observe on a sunny day when you do go outside.

I remember those early days back in the 90's with my little guy, identification booklet in hand, and the sad time we had sitting next to plants flipping though the booklet, and feeling nothing but negative things.

Peterson Birds — A Field Guide to Birds of North America by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

https://appsto.re/us/u0Uty.i

We liked this one. We found it very simple and easy to use. We have been able to identify many birds and the app lets you record it. You don't need to be connected to the Internet to use which is helpful when you are out in nature. We didn't know any bird species really before using the app. We caught it on sale for 99 cents. I think it was in the spring. I think it's worth the full price when considering what a field guide cost though.

We love having these handy pocket guides when we are out...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1583551891/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1417060297&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

This link is for raptors, I believe, but they have all kinds of variety... Shorebirds, birds for each state, etc. They even have these pocket guides on trees, mushrooms, plants, etc.

They are folded up pamphlets that are laminated and very durable. We keep them in the glove compartment to have whenever we need to identify something quickly. They are so durable, that they double as a car distraction/chew toy for my 9 month old.

My mom who is quite the birder, has about 10 birding books. This is what she ends up taking with her out in the field. She then can take some pictures, note differences from the pamphlets, and then go home to the more in depth books to learn more or find out exactly what she saw.

I'm a serious nature enthusiast.  People in birding and environmental education tend to recommend Peterson's guides.  You can look through the guides and learn what kinds of identifying marks to look for when you are in the field, then write them down to look at the guide after you get home, if that works better for you.

The Audubon Society is a good resource for bird information.  See this link for a free online bird guide and information on the Audubon Birds Pro App, which is about $5 (I have not tried it yet but it looks excellent):  http://birds.audubon.org/birdid

For trees:

Leafsnap is the best ID app I've found. You have to use almost perfect specimens on a plain, light-colored background (white piece of paper is the best but a sidewalk works too).

Our favorite tree field guide is National Wildlife Federations's Field Guide to Trees of North America. Fabulous pictures! Good general info in the front. Divided into seven color-coded sections based on type of leaf (needle, scale, fan, opposite, alternate and compound, alternate and simple, palms/yuccas/cacti). The first page of each section gives an index for subgroups based on that type of leaf---for example, the 'trees with opposite leaves' is divided into 'palmately compound' , 'pinnately compound', 'simple, lobed', 'simple, heart-shaped', 'simple, unlobed, untoothed', and 'simple, unlobed, toothed'. Each subgroup is further divided (on the index pages) based on type of fruit, in case fruit is available while trying to identify.

http://www.amazon.com/National-Wildlife-Federation-Field-America/dp/1402738757/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417011515&sr=8-1&keywords=National+wildlife+tree+field+guide

Oh, I love the look of that App, that looks perfect for me. I'm downloading it now.... I put the tree book on my wishlist for when I get more time. I think I'll wait until Spring to delve into trees more, as I think it will be much easier with leaves on them.

I find it impossible to identify anything unless I have taken the time to learn more about the species, first. I think of identification as a rhetoric skill with a bunch of grammar and logic learning that needs to take place first.

I think it's great if MOM knows a bunch about nature and can tell children the names of plants, but for first generation families, naming things is an overwhelming goal.

You can observe without naming.

You can learn some vocabulary to describe. You will need to choose whether the vocabulary used to describe is familiar words or scientific names. I, personally, think it's better to call a duck's body boat shaped, and leaf as round or heart shaped, than to teach the child scientific vocabulary. 

On rainy days, you can read some of the free vintage nature study readers, to prepare students to better observe on a sunny day when you do go outside.

I remember those early days back in the 90's with my little guy, identification booklet in hand, and the sad time we had sitting next to plants flipping though the booklet, and feeling nothing but negative things.

Yes, we do need to learn more but it works best for me to start with an overview, jump in and trying to figure it out and then studying more. We've been working on casual observations for a good while and I've taught them the bit I do know but I'm ready to learn more and I'm determined that I can. I'm not aiming for technical expert right now but I want us to have a good general knowledge of what is in our area and I think that is an achievable goal.

We love having these handy pocket guides when we are out...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1583551891/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1417060297&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SY200_QL40

This link is for raptors, I believe, but they have all kinds of variety... Shorebirds, birds for each state, etc. They even have these pocket guides on trees, mushrooms, plants, etc.

They are folded up pamphlets that are laminated and very durable. We keep them in the glove compartment to have whenever we need to identify something quickly. They are so durable, that they double as a car distraction/chew toy for my 9 month old.

My mom who is quite the birder, has about 10 birding books. This is what she ends up taking with her out in the field. She then can take some pictures, note differences from the pamphlets, and then go home to the more in depth books to learn more or find out exactly what she saw.

I was looking at some of those guides but I was going back and forth between those and the state specific guide. I guess ideally both would be good. I do like the fact that it is durable and small.

I'm a serious nature enthusiast.  People in birding and environmental education tend to recommend Peterson's guides.  You can look through the guides and learn what kinds of identifying marks to look for when you are in the field, then write them down to look at the guide after you get home, if that works better for you.

The Audubon Society is a good resource for bird information.  See this link for a free online bird guide and information on the Audubon Birds Pro App, which is about $5 (I have not tried it yet but it looks excellent):  http://birds.audubon.org/birdid

I do have some Peterson guides but I guess I need to study more to make them the most useful, I guess. I'll look at the Audobon app. 

We live in Iowa, so this is my favorite one:

1) Birds of Iowa Field Guide  There should be one for your state.
I like this one because:
--it focuses on the most common birds in MY area

--it doesn't give me too many birds to confuse me (for my beginner stage)

--it gives me the best way to identify the bird

Example: Eastern Kingbird: Rarely confused with other birds.  Medium sided bird, smaller than American Robin.  Look for the white band along the end of the tail to identify.
--it gives me behavioral habits to identify a bird:
"A common bird of open fields and prairies.  Perceived as having an attitude,acting unafraid of other birds and chasing the larger ones.  Bold behavior gave rise to it s common name, King.  Perches on tall branches, watching for insects.  After flying out to catch them, returns to the same perch, a technique called hawking.  Males and females return to mating grounds and will defend a territory together."

2) Beginning Birdwatcher Book with 48 stickers for your dc. 

3) Peterson Field Guide Coloring Books (Birds)   or Wildflowers

4) Identiflyer because you often hear a bird before you see it.

5) Northwoods keychain field guides.  We have used the one for trees and the one for wildflowers.