Menu

If your toddler opens someone else's birthday present...

Elisabet1

Let's say..toddler thinks the birthday present is hers, because you stupidly wrap toys of her for fun because it is a fun game. Yeah..well....party is in the morning. You have the present wrapped for the little boy. Suddenly, you find out toddler saw present sitting out and ripped open the packaging..to where you would have to tape together the torn box.

Would you buy a new present and save that one for your own children or a close family member? Or would you tape the present up and re-wrap it and give it anyway?

My mil routinely - as in without fail - opens the kids' toys and "inspects" them before she either puts them in a gift bag or tapes the box completely back up and wraps them.  

So imo, if she can do that so can your toddler.  Tape up the box and and as long as the toy inside is not damaged, re-wrap it and tell the parent what happened.  My kids were much older before they realized that boxes just don't come that way from the store.

If feasible, I'd put it in a neater box and give it.  Or if that didn't work, I'd try to make the ripped box look better with decorations or something.  Assuming the recipient had a sense of humor.  :P  If it was a real mess and the toy really needed the box, I'd probably buy a new one (time permitting).

My mil routinely - as in without fail - opens the kids' toys and "inspects" them before she either puts them in a gift bag or tapes the box completely back up and wraps them.

So imo, if she can do that so can your toddler. Tape up the box and and as long as the toy inside is not damaged, re-wrap it and tell the parent what happened. My kids were much older before they realized that boxes just don't come that way from the store.

Mine too! Which stinks because if it doesn't work/fit/is a duplicate, we are stuck. I hate that she spends money on stuff (she also rips tags off clothing and washes them) and if they don't work, my only option is getting rid of it, and then having to buy another gift.

Mine too! Which stinks because if it doesn't work/fit/is a duplicate, we are stuck. I hate that she spends money on stuff (she also rips tags off clothing and washes them) and if they don't work, my only option is getting rid of it, and then having to buy another gift.

Mine learned quickly to not wash them when I very vocally expressed my disappointment at having to donate the clothes because we couldn't exchange them.  

Yup! My mil would buy an American Girl outfit or accessory for dd, but would send it opened and all shuffled around. My best guess was that she wanted to play with the items (try them on her own doll) first. :huh: