Menu

Too High Ferritin Levels

Jean in Newcastle

Have you gone through menopause? From what I understand bleeding from periods normally keeps women's iron levels down, so they don't have problems from it until later in life. If I understand right, diet can help, but also giving blood. It is damaging to organs if not controlled and can cause diabetes. 

I hope you can get some answers, Jean! 

Have you gone through menopause? From what I understand bleeding from periods normally keeps women's iron levels down, so they don't have problems from it until later in life. If I understand right, diet can help, but also giving blood. It is damaging to organs if not controlled and can cause diabetes. 

I hope you can get some answers, Jean! 

This is interesting.

Perhaps once Jean gets this taken care of diabetes symptoms may reverse to some degree?

I actually hope it doesn't mean having to give blood regularly.  The Red Cross won't take me.  My veins are very difficult to find.  My last blood draw a couple of days ago involved two phlebotomists, a hot pack and then finally sticking my entire arm in a waste basket of hot water.  

Are they small?  My mil has pediatric veins and is a very difficult stick.  There are some phlebotomists that have been on pediatric wards that know how to do it better.  Butterflies work really well.  Just try to stay hydrated, - last time she was dehydrated they had to go in through her leg. 

DH carries the gene for hemochromatosis.  So far it hasn't been a big deal.  He monitors his red meat intake and I stopped cooking in my beloved cast iron pans.  If his level goes too high then he'll have to have regular blood draws, but so far the lifestyle changes are keeping it under control.