Menu

Preventing Sinus Infections

Mergath

Could you guys share your best tips for preventing and treating sinus infections?  I'm on what feels like my forty-seventh sinus infection over the last couple years, and I can't take any more.  I'm sick of snorting out blood and falling asleep every ten minutes.  The antibiotics get rid of them for about a week and then I get another one.  I don't care if I have to shove a whole garlic clove steeped in organic apple cider vinegar up my nose.  I'm getting a neti pot to try this afternoon, but give me all your other tips/home remedies/old wives tales, because I'm doing them ALL.  Aaargh.

I was going to suggest the neti-pot thing, but you beat me to it. I hope it works for you!

Do you use one?  Any recommendations on which kind to buy?  If a neti pot made from clay dug from the banks of the River Styx and baked in the fires of Hell will finally kill these apparently immortal sinus germs, I will find one.

Do you use one? Any recommendations on which kind to buy? If a neti pot made from clay dug from the banks of the River Styx and baked in the fires of Hell will finally kill these apparently immortal sinus germs, I will find one.

I know several people who use them successfully, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Hopefully you will be better at it than I was!

I just remembered that my dh used something called NeilMed Sinus Rinse, which works in a neti-pot, but you can also buy a little kit that uses a squeeze bottle instead of the pot-thingie. He had good luck with that. I also think it was cheaper than the neti-pot, and it used the exact same saline stuff.

My two weapons of choice are Xlear nose spray (zylitol) and colloidal silver nose spray. Better hang on to something, it really can sting. Especially with colloidal silver (Source Naturals, Whole Foods has it), the sting is crazy, but I have used it when I feel one coming and have stopped most before I got them. Xlear is good for maintenance, or blasting numerous times while you have the infection.

Hope you feel better soon.

My two weapons of choice are Xlear nose spray (zylitol) and colloidal silver nose spray. Better hang on to something, it really can sting. Especially with colloidal silver (Source Naturals, Whole Foods has it), the sting is crazy, but I have used it when I feel one coming and have stopped most before I got them. Xlear is good for maintenance, or blasting numerous times while you have the infection.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hmm, I have a bottle of colloidal silver I used to treat an eye infection in one of the cats once (which worked beautifully, to my surprise).  I wonder if there's some way I could shoot some of it up my nose. :P

Thanks for the recommendations!

I know several people who use them successfully, but I couldn't get the hang of it. Hopefully you will be better at it than I was!

I just remembered that my dh used something called NeilMed Sinus Rinse, which works in a neti-pot, but you can also buy a little kit that uses a squeeze bottle instead of the pot-thingie. He had good luck with that. I also think it was cheaper than the neti-pot, and it used the exact same saline stuff.

I'll look into that, thanks! :)

I used to get sinus infections every time I got a cold. The infection would just linger on.  Now, every time I get a cold, right at the beginning I start taking garlic and Mucinex.  Mucinex keeps things draining, and I think what often starts the sinus infection is the clogging up and then bacteria invading. Garlic as you probably already know is a low grade antibiotic.  Now that I do this every time, I haven't had a sinus infection in YEARS.

ETA, I take a good garlic supplement, I don't shove it up my nose!  :laugh:

Change your toothbrush after every sinus infection.  Consider daily allergy pills at least until you get them under control.  Mine are almost always allergy related.  Restrict dairy because it causes mucus to thicken.  And blow your nose as often as you can.

Stefanie

Are you taking Zyrtec or something for allergies, to address whatever is aggravating your sinuses? I'd also look into probiotics and vitamin D supplementation.

But I have had great success with the NetiPot too, using distilled water, a bit of sea salt, and a couple drops of grapefruit seed extract. Also, DH has some super hot peppers steeped in a bit of rum; it's totally vile and burns like the dickens going down, but within seconds of taking it, my sinuses started to drain, enough that then I could use the NetiPot.

Also, blow your nose a lot, but one side at a time, so that you don't blow the gunk back into your nose.

grossness alert:

If you have built up mucous in your nasal passages, you have little cracks and crevices for the bacteria to hide in.  Add in the moist warm environment and you have a bad set up for infections.

You need to clean out the dried mucous to get rid of the bacteria.  

If you take an antihistamine, stop for a week.  It helps to prevent new mucous from forming, but honestly right now you want to get the old dried gunk out, so having the new wet mucous to help loosen stuff up, and move that along isn't a bad thing.  

Take Mucinex all by itself 24 hours a day for a week.  Get the plain kind.  Check the package instructions and make sure to take it around the clock based on what ever package you buy.  The brand name lasts 12 hours, but some knock off brands are 4-6 hours.  Doesn't matter what brand, just keep it in your system.  Mucinex (guiafensen) helps to draw moisture to mucous.  Wet mucous comes out of the passages wayyyyy easier that dried bits that are stuck to the skin in the sinuses and hair in the nasal passages.  Drink Constantly while you take it.  It has to have moisture to work.  Drink whatever you want, but drink like there is no tomorrow.  

Use a netti pot with the premixed packet of saline and distilled water (not drinking water in a bottle).  This will help you rinse out the crud that is there.  Use it after you take a shower so that the moisture from the shower has had a chance to do some of the work for you.  The saline packets help with the ph of the water to make it not sting your nose and distilled water keeps out any contaminates from your local water supply.  One gallon is going to last you a while so just spend the dollar and get the distilled gallon instead of using tap water.  It is easier to fill the bottle if you buy the one with the little tap on the bottle, but just get what ever you can.  If you use a funnel or anything other supplies with you netti pet, wash it with soap and rinse well every time, just before you use it,especially if you keep you stuff in the bathroom.  You don't want to put more bacteria (there is bacteria that goes airborne every time you flush a toilet) into your sinuses.

If you are congested, take a decongestant like Sudafed, but get the good stuff from the pharmacy.  You want psuedoephedrine, not phenylephrine from the regular otc section.  

If you have a course of antibiotics, this is an excellent time to take them.  That way your are not only gettting rid of the bacteria by killing it, you are getting rid of the little homes it lives in.

Once you get the crud out, you can go to maintenance mode.  If you usually take an antihistamine, ONLY take it with mucinex.  The mucinex will help combat the dried material from accumulating again.  If you are congested take a trio of an antihistamine, mucinex and a decongestant together OR just the duo of mucinex and decongestant.   Always add the Mucinex to whatever you are taking and drink fluids with it!  Keep using the netti pot with distilled water to keep the bits from forming and you will likely find that you don't have nearly the problem with infections as you used to. 

If you have to take the antihistamine and can't stop for the week, then take the trio of antihistamine, mucinex and decongestant.  

Change your toothbrush after every sinus infection.  Consider daily allergy pills at least until you get them under control.  Mine are almost always allergy related.  Restrict dairy because it causes mucus to thicken.  And blow your nose as often as you can.

Stefanie

Are you taking Zyrtec or something for allergies, to address whatever is aggravating your sinuses? I'd also look into probiotics and vitamin D supplementation.

But I have had great success with the NetiPot too, using distilled water, a bit of sea salt, and a couple drops of grapefruit seed extract. Also, DH has some super hot peppers steeped in a bit of rum; it's totally vile and burns like the dickens going down, but within seconds of taking it, my sinuses started to drain, enough that then I could use the NetiPot.

Also, blow your nose a lot, but one side at a time, so that you don't blow the gunk back into your nose.

I don't take an allergy pill, but maybe I should give it a try.  I don't have any other allergy symptoms, but maybe the infections are the allergy symptom?  I'm going to steal some of dh's claritin for a while and see if it helps.

grossness alert:

If you have built up mucous in your nasal passages, you have little cracks and crevices for the bacteria to hide in.  Add in the moist warm environment and you have a bad set up for infections.

You need to clean out the dried mucous to get rid of the bacteria.  

If you take an antihistamine, stop for a week.  It helps to prevent new mucous from forming, but honestly right now you want to get the old dried gunk out, so having the new wet mucous to help loosen stuff up, and move that along isn't a bad thing.  

Take Mucinex all by itself 24 hours a day for a week.  Get the plain kind.  Check the package instructions and make sure to take it around the clock based on what ever package you buy.  The brand name lasts 12 hours, but some knock off brands are 4-6 hours.  Doesn't matter what brand, just keep it in your system.  Mucinex (guiafensen) helps to draw moisture to mucous.  Wet mucous comes out of the passages wayyyyy easier that dried bits that are stuck to the skin in the sinuses and hair in the nasal passages.  Drink Constantly while you take it.  It has to have moisture to work.  Drink whatever you want, but drink like there is no tomorrow.  

Use a netti pot with the premixed packet of saline and distilled water (not drinking water in a bottle).  This will help you rinse out the crud that is there.  Use it after you take a shower so that the moisture from the shower has had a chance to do some of the work for you.  The saline packets help with the ph of the water to make it not sting your nose and distilled water keeps out any contaminates from your local water supply.  One gallon is going to last you a while so just spend the dollar and get the distilled gallon instead of using tap water.  It is easier to fill the bottle if you buy the one with the little tap on the bottle, but just get what ever you can.  If you use a funnel or anything other supplies with you netti pet, wash it with soap and rinse well every time, just before you use it,especially if you keep you stuff in the bathroom.  You don't want to put more bacteria (there is bacteria that goes airborne every time you flush a toilet) into your sinuses.

If you are congested, take a decongestant like Sudafed, but get the good stuff from the pharmacy.  You want psuedoephedrine, not phenylephrine from the regular otc section.  

If you have a course of antibiotics, this is an excellent time to take them.  That way your are not only gettting rid of the bacteria by killing it, you are getting rid of the little homes it lives in.

Once you get the crud out, you can go to maintenance mode.  If you usually take an antihistamine, ONLY take it with mucinex.  The mucinex will help combat the dried material from accumulating again.  If you are congested take a trio of an antihistamine, mucinex and a decongestant together OR just the duo of mucinex and decongestant.   Always add the Mucinex to whatever you are taking and drink fluids with it!  Keep using the netti pot with distilled water to keep the bits from forming and you will likely find that you don't have nearly the problem with infections as you used to. 

If you have to take the antihistamine and can't stop for the week, then take the trio of antihistamine, mucinex and decongestant.  

Wow, thanks for the info! :)  I do have to take Benadryl fairly often because of my giant list of food allergies... I wonder if that's helped to make things worse.  I'll grab a box of Mucinex when I pick up my neti pot.  And do all the other things you suggest. 

btdt.  this is what I've done/learned over the years.

first - you need to work on your immune system.  alot of that - is your gut.  You've had so many antibiotics - you need to work on building up your gut flora.   while antibiotics will kill bad bacteria - they also kill the good bacteria living in your gut.

1. I use hyperbiotics pro-15 enteric coated probiotics.  I've tried several other kinds over the years, I noticed an improvement quickly after I started this one.  the enteric coating protects them until they are past the stomach.
  2. you might want to start with a yeast cleanse - as you probably do have a build up of yeast.  after all -nature abhors a vacuum.   if your gut bacteria is being killed off  . ..  something is bound to take it's place. in this case - that would be yeast. and yes, it will affect your immune system.

2nd - muscinex was a godsend when I'd start getting a cold.  in those days - you couldn't buy it by itself, only as an additive in cough syrup.  I'd start with it at the earliest sniffle. LOTS of water.  and I *mean* LOTS.

3- ibruprophen.  it's an anti-inflamatory, and will help reduce tissue inflamation that will hold onto the gunk in your sinuses.

4 - neti pot to do a sinus wash.  especially before you start an infection.  it will help keep the sinuses clean.

5 - chiropractor - but you can do it yourself.  I learned this from my chiro.  warning - it HURTS. he palpatated my cheekbones and eye sockets and found exactly where the infection was (if you have to ask how to tell the difference - you don't have a sinus infection) - then PRESSED REALLY HARD.  he held it too.  it actually did help with drainage.  after that, if I had a persistant one, I'd do that to myself.

now, I've gone from a sinus infection. every. single. month (and if I didn't have an infection, I was still sick with something else) - to rarely even having a cold that is more than a sniffle and maybe a cough or two.  oh - and they do respond to my glaring at them by sticking their tail between their legs and skulking off.

eta: I agree with getting the sudafed behind the counter. (you don't need a rx, just have to sign for it.  it's used to make crack - so they lock it up and track who buys it.)  the stuff out on the shelf is worthless.

And blow your nose as often as you can.

Stefanie

and blow your nose correctly!   most people blow from both nostrils at the same time.  if you're even slightly stuffy - that can cause more gunk to go up into your sinuses and make things worse.

take your tissue - hold one nostril CLOSED, and blow out the open side.  then switch sides. 

I wound up going to an ENT who prescribed antibiotics along with prednisone. When that didn't clear things up I wound up having sinus surgery. Best thing ever--after years of allergies and sinus infection the tissue was so inflammed that it just didn't heal completely before the next incident. Routing out the old tissue gave it a clean start--that was years ago and I've only had one sinus infection since. Ear problems were significantly better.

I also do better when I see my chiropractor regularly.

If they keep coming back, chances are great the infection isn't totally cleared up.  I would see an ENT and have them culture your sinuses (not fun but quick) and then prescribe a longer term antibiotic based on what is growing vs. just a broad spectrum one.

Then try the other suggestions.  YOu might also ask about a steroid nasal spray.  That was a huge help here.

My mom had that sinus surgery, it didn't work, ans so she asked the ENT doc for advice and he recommended a waterpic (tooth flosser) with a special tip on the end to fit in your nose.  It's like a neti pot but on steroids.  She just recommended it to me again (sinus infection this week), and I noticed in the cold aisle at Walgreens they had special machines just for that purpose right next to the neti pots (bottom shelf, under the Ocean saline nasal spray in my store).  I think they were about $20. 

You can get special salt mixes for it, but I'm sure that my mother uses non-iodine sea salt, lukewarm water (seriously, test it on your wrist, you don't want to freeze or burn your sinuses.  She blows her nose gently,  then leans over the sink sideways like with a neti pot, and flushes her sinuses out first one way then the other.  I've done it a few times but never got into the habit like her.  I don't think she's had a sinus infection since she started doing that every time she starts to feel the least bit congested.

If they keep coming back, chances are great the infection isn't totally cleared up. I would see an ENT and have them culture your sinuses (not fun but quick) and then prescribe a longer term antibiotic based on what is growing vs. just a broad spectrum one.

Then try the other suggestions. YOu might also ask about a steroid nasal spray. That was a huge help here.

I've had cultures come back negative, but had an infection.

1) Neti-pot. It's awful the first few times, but you get used to it. Really makes a huge difference.

2) If your infections are bouncing back that fast, you may have resistant bacteria. Consider alternatives to antibiotics or at least change up the antibiotic. Talk to your doctor.

3) Root cause! Probably allergies. Are you on a daily antihistamine (zyrtec or claritin, etc.) and/or daily nasal steroid (Flonase)? These things are OTC (the antihistamines) and cheap generics (Flonase). Also, HEPA filter in your bedroom, banish pets from the bedroom, etc.

4) Just an FYI, I was the sickest I've ever been (only hospitalization in my life and ruined a Disney vacation) due to an allergic reaction to Augmentin prescribed for a sinus infection. So, anyway, IME, antibiotics, even routine ones you've taken before . . . are not innocuous! I am a regular medicine person who wasn't previously fearful of routine medications, but I've become much more cautious after that terrible experience. I was sick for months. 

5) See an allergist if you can. Really. 

Xlear xylitol spray is worth a try. So is oreganol spray (oil of oregano), though for the life of me I cannot figure out why they put cloves in there, as it stings if you get it on the bottom part of the nostrils (I just tip the head back and drop it in, not spray!)

My dh does the Sinus Rinse religiously 3x per day (per his ENT) and his snoring is worse than ever. (of course he'll never trust me with a nasal spray again after I gave him the Oreganol LOL).

Sinus problems can be complicated/multi-faceted. good luck!!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)  I have a great big list of things to try and look into now. 

I got the NeilMed neti pot kit and tried it tonight.  You know, the one that says it won't burn.  LIES!!!! :cursing:   One side felt fine and went like it was supposed to, but the other side just dripped out instead of pouring out and burned like acid.  Maybe that's the infected side?  I'm going to try it again tomorrow, but ugh!  That was terrible!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)  I have a great big list of things to try and look into now. 

I got the NeilMed neti pot kit and tried it tonight.  You know, the one that says it won't burn.  LIES!!!! :cursing:   One side felt fine and went like it was supposed to, but the other side just dripped out instead of pouring out and burned like acid.  Maybe that's the infected side?  I'm going to try it again tomorrow, but ugh!  That was terrible!

It really does get easier. Give it five tries, and it won't be so bad. Really. 

I had chronic sinus infections in college, which was a problem since mucus in your throat is not good when you are a vocal major!

What finally worked for me was a combo of a daily low dose antihistamine during peak seasons and at the first sign of drainage upping my water intake. I had one of my favorite music profs tell me that if my pee wasn't clear, I wasn't drinking enough water. (Gross, but effective.)

Several things have helped my problems with repeat sinus infections. First, I saw a doctor who actually x-rayed my sinuses, and showed me that the antibiotics I had been on (prescribed by a previous doctor and not strong/long enough) were unable to even reach the area of infection due to swelling and inflammation. He had me use a combo of 3 weeks of augmentin, an antihistimine, sinus washes, and maybe another thing or two? That kept me clear of bad infections for several years. Then I started having them again, but more that it would start with a sinus infection and end with bronchitis. The initial thing that helped most was an inhaler I would use at the first signs of an infection. Anecdotally, this past year I have been doing oil pulling, have reduced my wheat intake drastically, lost weight, used an immune booster a few times, and have not had an infection at all. I still occasionally use the inhaler if things start stopping up, but things are much better. Not sure which of those things actually have an impact on my susceptibility to infections, but suspect the wheat the most, as I have an allergy-sensitive system and am probably a little allergic to wheat.