Menu

MUS Primer vs. Rightstart A vs. Miquon

nannyaunt

I've not used RightStart or MUS, but I would think that with any of them the cost of the manipulatives for a class of children will be prohibitive. Miquon might be cheapest, and was designed for a classroom. If I were teaching K math in that setting I'd look for something where you can substitute household items for the manipulatives. Perhaps Math Mammoth, Singapore, MEP?

I've used MUS Primer and Miquon.

Miquon is my preference for a group setting. It's more affordable, easy to implement and C-rods are easier to come by and more durable than MUS manipulatives. MUS is very narrow in scope, Miquon will touch on a variety of topics and provide a solid conceptual understanding.

I've used Miquon and Math-U-See and I've looked at RightStart closely a few times.

Math-U-See Primer is exceptionally boring. It just is. I try to skip over it whenever I can. Of my four kids, I've only had one child who enjoyed it.

The principles taught in primer are somewhat limited and repetive: http://store.mathusee.com/catalog/math-u-see/general-math/primer

For kids with fine motor delays, it can be VERY difficult to facilitate since so much handwriting is involved.

Miquon is better suited for classroom use, but the workbooks can be difficult to use in such a way as to really develop a foundation in mathematical thinking. I firmly believe that the facilitator needs to have a strong background in teaching mathmathical thinking and reasoning (or at least to have read Ronit Bird's ebook on the topic and watched the education unboxed videos).

Rightstart A offers more fun stuff, a greater breadth of topics and manipulatives, but is expensive.

If *I* were to teach a K math co-op class I would look at TOPICS to cover in math and find materials well suited to a co-op class to do so. I would chime in with ideas and links, but I'm hosting 30 people this week for Thanksgiving and I just don't have time right now...

ETA: if you "need" a workbook type of class, I'd use Singapore.

I use RS A... I'm wondering if maybe you could just use the RS card games to supplement Miquon?  I was planning on using Miquon but didn't like it for personal reasons.  I LOVE RS...  but it's teacher intensive for me and I find that some elements my boy just skips over, and others take a long time to really engage in.  I wonder if teaching many at a time might make dealing with that difficult.  BUT... I really love the interaction with it... So adding some in  (like the card games) might be lovely.  

I have used all 3 at one time or another.  I like MUS, but not for a group setting.  RS would be great, but I think you could find cheaper alternatives better suited to a group.  I HATED miquon...it made no sense to me (and I love math).  My choice for a group would be none of the above.  I would make it a math games class, and use resources for different math games.  Will you be assigning parents work to do with the kids over the week?  If so, I suppose that would be different.  I'd pick MUS for easy independent use at home, and play math games in class.

Ok, I have ruled out MUS Primer.  But just to add to the mix, I already have R&S 1 which can be used for K, and today I was given an old Horizons K Teachers Manual.

Huh, it could get confusing having Right Start A and Rod & Staff 1 in the same post. I am familiar with R&S1 but I have never used Miquon, RS-A or Horizons.  This is becoming really confusing. And I need to make a decision soon so I can order any supplies and make up lesson plans if needed.