Menu

Toys r Us has lost my business until they change their return policy

hjffkj

So dh and I do our Christmas shopping at Toys R Us every year together.  We did it on Saturday and had a lovely time.  But later that day I discovered one of the things we got for my dd was purchased by someone else.  So, I headed there this evening with the original receipt, the item, and the card I used to purchase it so I could return it.  They would not allow me to return the item without a photo ID , which I didn't have on me, even though I had the original receipt.

Now I completely understand them asking for ID if I didn't have the receipt or was asking for cash rather than them putting the refund back on the card they had on file but to require photo ID for something with the original receipt is absolutely ridiculous.  I happily wrote corporate telling them I will be returning all my purchases for my 3 children and 12 nieces and nephews and taking my business elsewhere from now on.  

The good thing about it is I can probably get all of these items cheaper on Amazon!

That is a lousy policy. 

Well, their policy doesn't sound utterly unreasonable to me, however, Toys R Us is much to expensive for my tastes anyway. I refuse to shop there until they lower their prices by about 13%.

Just use the Amazon app. They price match.

There are so many scams out there.... I don't blame them for having that policy.

ETA- how/why are you out and about without a picture ID? That's kind of an important thing to have on you, right?

True there are scams but when an original receipt it present and they can track the return via my card they have on file an id is unnecessary.

Why is it an important thing to have a photo ID on hand at all times? I don't need it while driving since I have my license number memorized? I'm not purchasing booze. In the case of an emergency there are plenty of other things in my wallet and car saying who I am. Yes having photo ID is handy but I see no reason to carry it all the time.

True there are scams but when an original receipt it present and they can track the return via my card they have on file an id is unnecessary.

Why is it an important thing to have a photo ID on hand at all times? I don't need it while driving since I have my license number memorized? I'm not purchasing booze. In the case of an emergency there are plenty of other things in my wallet and car saying who I am. Yes having photo ID is handy but I see no reason to carry it all the time.

Yes to the post above, I think...

I dunno, we are ex-military and it was drilled into us to always carry ID. Always.

Eta- http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-tickets/driving-without-a-license.html

I have never heard of that being the case. My state requires I.D. on your person.

eta: must be a state thing?!

In my state it is illegal to drive a vehicle without your ID physically on you. There is a whole separate violation they can charge you with if you get stopped and don't have it. And they can hold you and your vehicle until someone brings it to you. My friend was accompanied to her house by the police so she could get her forgotten license and prove she had one.

So I am sorry you couldn't return the stuff easily. That is a pain. But honestly, I am more surprised you didn't have one on you than Toys r Us wanted one for a return. I can't imagine leaving the house with my wallet and method to shop but not having my picture ID. It live in my wallet so I always have it with me.

I would be very frustrated in your shoes. You had the receipt. What would having your id have done for them. How did the benefit as a company by insisting on the id, frustrating a customer and losing business? How was this a win for them?

Personally, Ialmost never shop there anyway. Everything is cheaper at Walmart, target and Amazon.

I agree it is dumb. You have the card with your name on it. You have the reciept that shows what card the purchase was made with, and what the purchase was. So...if the receipt matches the credit card, then how on earth could there be fraud? It assures that the person that made the purchase is the one that is getting the refund. 

that said, I think ALL stores require ID now, so you would have to boycott everywhere. But I agree, it was stupid.

It is perfectly reasonable to request your id when returning items. Doesn't matter if you have your license number memorized,  it's illegal to drive without your license and all states that I am aware of require one to carry it in case of any event.  I'll put it out there. I think the response is a bit over the top.  Why should a corporation change their policy for one person? 

I agree it is dumb. You have the card with your name on it. You have the reciept that shows what card the purchase was made with, and what the purchase was. So...if the receipt matches the credit card, then how on earth could there be fraud? It assures that the person that made the purchase is the one that is getting the refund. 

that said, I think ALL stores require ID now, so you would have to boycott everywhere. But I agree, it was stupid.

Amazon has never seen my photo ID and I've returned several things.

It is perfectly reasonable to request your id when returning items. Doesn't matter if you have your license number memorized,  it's illegal to drive without your license and all states that I am aware of require one to carry it in case of any event.  I'll put it out there. I think the response is a bit over the top.  Why should a corporation change their policy for one person? 

I would imagine that the OP thinks the store should change their policy for all people, not just for her. Just a wild guess.

I worked retail 20 years ago, and we were required to ask for a photo ID when doing a return way back then. When you do an online return they have different ways of tracking that it is a legit return. The reason is due 1) people who steal stuff all over town, then return it it to different stores and 2) employees who are making up fake returns and taking cash from the register.

ETA: *Personally* I would have made an exception if you knew your DL number and were getting a credit back on the card. But, given how often retail employees get fired for tiny infractions of policy, I can't blame those who stick to it.

Back on topic. So what happens if a 12 year old kid came to the counter with a receipt? The toy was a gift from a grandparent and he didn't have an i.d. ? I would think someone could have made an exception for you with the I.D. policy.

My kids have returned items to Walmart, and they have required either mine our my dh's license, when the return was over a certain dollar amount. This is to track returns, only allowed x number per so many months.

I do agree that it shouldn't be a big deal with receipt in hand. I also agree that your response OP is a little over the top. I do understand the annoyance but it wasn't an unreasonable request

I worked retail 20 years ago, and we were required to ask for a photo ID when doing a return way back then. When you do an online return they have different ways of tracking that it is a legit return. The reason is due 1) people who steal stuff all over town, then return it it to different stores and 2) employees who are making up fake returns and taking cash from the register.

ETA: *Personally* I would have made an exception if you knew your DL number and were getting a credit back on the card. But, given how often retail employees get fired for tiny infractions of policy, I can't blame those who stick to it.

But..there is a receipt. So the person couldn't have stolen the stuff. There is a receipt. And no cash is being taken out, just returned to the card, so no theft possible that way. 

But you are right, the employee probably doesn't have any wiggle room.

I agree it's a dumb store policy but disagree that you don't need to carry your driver's license with you just because you know the number. I don't understand why you wouldn't have it with you at all times. Why not keep it in your wallet with the other cards you carry? That's most likely what the person who reads your letter will wonder as well. 

What other ways do online retailers have of tracking? An email address? You can create any number of email addresses and change them on your account. That's hardly comparable to an ID.

1. People who steal all over town have a receipt from the store they are trying to return to? That doesn't make sense...

2. So we need to show an ID?

I'm sorry, not trying to pick on just you, and I never felt very strongly about this issue before, but the more people try to support the store in needing an ID for a return with a receipt, the more I feel it's all bogus. The REAL reason a store wants our ID is because they want as much personal information about all the customers as they can get. That information is valuable to a retailer in terms of tracking shopping habits, and making marketing decisions.

I agree with op. I think that a receipt should be enough. In my experience, the policy varies wildely from store to store. I could return any amount of stuff to Target, even without a receipt, using just my credit card. But if I want to return a $10 item to AC Moore, they want a photo id. I simply don't buy anything extra at AC Moore any more. I don't even know if there is a corporate policy, or store by store. I should know, but don't, if states have rules about what info a store is entitled to and whether they have to display this at point of purchase. I know my state has rules about return policies in general. I wonder if interstate commerce rules (say, as for Amazon) are different in this respect.

I appreciate being treated courteously as a valued customer -- thank you Nordstrom -- not as a potential criminal. Btw, when I return something, I usually buy some more stuff at the store. So, ultimately, the store that is good about returns benefits.

It does make a big difference to me whether someone glaces at the license or records it. I absolutely do not want to give out my info to a store, if I have just read about how credit info on millions of customers from that store is now in the hands of international cyber criminals.

For renting tools, my local Home Depot has a policy of keeping a photo copy of your drivers license until you return the equipment. I asked if the could put a hold on my credit card for total value of tool. No. They said their storage was secure, but I saw how the file cabinet was left unlocked while the employee was elsewhere. Forget it. A video rental store in my town ((long time ago) wanted to keep a copy of customer DL. No way.

I have read that stores track returns to ensure that there are no suspicious patterns. When kids were little, I used to bring home loads of clothes for them to try at home and return the rest. I was never flagged or prevented from doing this repeatedly. I guess the computers were programmed to show this as normal, lol.

What other ways do online retailers have of tracking? An email address? You can create any number of email addresses and change them on your account. That's hardly comparable to an ID.

1. People who steal all over town have a receipt from the store they are trying to return to? That doesn't make sense...

2. So we need to show an ID?

They have your name, physical address and credit card information on file. A brick and mortar retail employee does not have access to all of the information that Amazon's return department has. They usually send you a return label with their own internal tracking information encoded in it.

People have already posted links and other extra information as to how IDs help in fighting fraud.

I have read that stores track returns to ensure that there are no suspicious patterns. When kids were little, I used to bring home loads of clothes for them to try at home and return the rest. I was never flagged or prevented from doing this repeatedly. I guess the computers were programmed to show this as normal, lol.

That's not the kind of pattern that they are looking for with regard to abuse of the return policy or fraud. I can tell you that I've seen managers deal with customers who were flagged (the computer wouldn't even accept a check or card from them at all). I've seen how they track patterns of returns to check on employees as well, including busting an employee fraud ring when I worked retail.

This article explains a bit about asking for id to help fight fraud.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/08/12/retailers-tracking-customers-returns/2642607/

I have read about the secret customer profiles and don't like it one bit. It wasn't that long ago people were not entitled to see their own credit reports. This seems like that.

What if there are errors in your profile? What if, for example, a wheelchair bound person customarily tried on clothing at home? And then more items than average were returned?

Personally, I think stores should develop more sophisticated receipts rather than collect personal info.

That's not the kind of pattern that they are looking for with regard to abuse of the return policy or fraud. I can tell you that I've seen managers deal with customers who were flagged (the computer wouldn't even accept a check or card from them at all). I've seen how they track patterns of returns to check on employees as well, including busting an employee fraud ring when I worked retail.

Right, and I was grateful to be legitimate. I certainly kept enough stuff, lol. But I do object to being tracked and not being able to see the info about myself.

I read the article and I still don't see why a store would care how many times I make returns with a receipt. What am I missing?

For example, my manager once dealt with a lady who wanted to exchange an item using a return receipt (meaning, she had already returned them at least once). Looking in the computer, he could see that she basically bought a pair of shoes and exchanged them for a new pair as they wore out or her kid grew. So, she had received 4 or 5 pairs of shoes for the price of one. She was flagged and wasn't allowed to return things anymore.

For example, my manager once dealt with a lady who wanted to exchange an item using a return receipt (meaning, she had already returned them at least once). Looking in the computer, he could see that she basically bought a pair of shoes and exchanged them for a new pair as they wore out or her kid grew. So, she had received 4 or 5 pairs of shoes for the price of one. She was flagged and wasn't allowed to return things anymore.

Gotcha.

I'm still thinking if the item is new/ unused then what's the big deal?

Ouch! But I would hope that the store could generate a receipt that would show the *shoe* history, so to speak, rather than collecting *customer* data.

I understand your point, OP. There's a discount supermarket in town that I avoid because they ask for ID, and I've often left my ID in the car. (I've lost my wallet enough times to know my survival strategy, and this is it.) 

re: return abuse - 

I've heard of people "renting" things from Costco - televisions for games (although they get savvy about this during Superbowl season), for example. 

I once returned a book with a return receipt at Borders (a looong time ago), and got such stink-eye that I probably shrunk an inch.

College boyfriend's mother could return anything, anytime. She was the return queen. Used, broken, old, last season - she made it happen. She was an annoying person :( 

I don't think it's that difficult to imagine scenarios in which you could return stolen merchandise with a receipt. 

I understand your point, OP. There's a discount supermarket in town that I avoid because they ask for ID, and I've often left my ID in the car. (I've lost my wallet enough times to know my survival strategy, and this is it.)

re: return abuse -

I've heard of people "renting" things from Costco - televisions for games (although they get savvy about this during Superbowl season), for example.

I once returned a book with a return receipt at Borders (a looong time ago), and got such stink-eye that I probably shrunk an inch.

College boyfriend's mother could return anything, anytime. She was the return queen. Used, broken, old, last season - she made it happen. She was an annoying person :(

I don't think it's that difficult to imagine scenarios in which you could return stolen merchandise with a receipt.

OmGosh, my mom was like the boyfriend's mother you describe. I cringed whenever she drug us somewhere to return something. It was quite embarrassing.

Gotcha.

I'm still thinking if the item is new/ unused then what's the big deal?

Back in the day, when I hung out in "the hood", I was approached several times by local people about joining them in their scams. Several of them involved buying stuff from one store with a fake check, then returning it to another location before they found out the check was bad... I can't even remember the details about some of the other scams.

You would not *believe* the time and effort- not to mention creativy- people put into scams.

So whenever there is a rule like that, and I don't understand it, I think about that. There is no telling what crazy scams the store is trying to avoid.

lol, I could never return anything, as I have no photo ID.

Until the last couple of decades, British driving licences were pieces of paper with no photo.  We now have credit-card-sized licences with photos, but it's too recent for it to have become habitual for businesses to ask for them.  And many people walk or take public transport, so have no photo ID, except possibly a passport.

One is meant to carry a driving licence when driving, but all that happens if you don't have it on you is that you get given a notice to produce it at a police station within seven days.

When I return things here, some shops ask me to write down my address and sign the return receipt.

L

Aside from being pulled over, I'd say the important reason for having ID would be so if you got hurt and were alone someone could identify you. My state used to use our SS number as our DL number! Crazy. So yeah, most people had their DL memorized but you never know when you need to supply more than a number.

Why is being identified important?  If I was missing a family member, I would call the hospitals anyway.

L

Why is being identified important? If I was missing a family member, I would call the hospitals anyway.

L

It's like having a medical ID bracelet for those of us with allergies or long term medication. If we can't speak or is unconscious, the ER/A&E triage can still render better service especially for foreign students.

When I was an undergrad in university hostel (not here), we were advise to have the ICE number in our phones and also stick emergency contact numbers to the back of our student ID. If we get knock down by a hit and run on campus or just lose conscious (a friend had lung collapse), it is easier to call the guardians and next of kin.

It's like having a medical ID bracelet for those of us with allergies or long term medication. If we can't speak or is unconscious, the ER/A&E triage can still render better service especially for foreign students.

When I was an undergrad in university hostel (not here), we were advise to have the ICE number in our phones and also stick emergency contact numbers to the back of our student ID. If we get knock down by a hit and run on campus or just lose conscious (a friend had lung collapse), it is easier to call the guardians and next of kin.

Awww, you are just a baby! ;) Emergency number in our cell phones in college, lol....

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

I agree. I make a good many returns. Never have I been asked for a photo id for a return being made with a receipt or a credit card. Most stores, if you just have the card the purchase was made with and you need no receipt. Heck, most of the time you don't even actually need the card! THey just scan the item, it pulls up all the purchase information including the credit card number, the amount paid is put back on the card, they hand you a return receipt. (This is for items that are obviously unused and with all tags and packaging in place.) I've never heard of a store policy that only allows a certain number of returns a year. It sounds to me like that would be illegal. What if merchandise is faulty? It has to be allowed to be returned unless it was sold with a qualifier. (Even many qualifiers are not legal in court.) A return without a receipt? A return where the packaging doesn't match the receipt numbers? Different scenarios. A return with a receipt and the credit card it was purchased with? No id required.

So dh and I do our Christmas shopping at Toys R Us every year together.  We did it on Saturday and had a lovely time.  But later that day I discovered one of the things we got for my dd was purchased by someone else.  So, I headed there this evening with the original receipt, the item, and the card I used to purchase it so I could return it.  They would not allow me to return the item without a photo ID , which I didn't have on me, even though I had the original receipt.

Now I completely understand them asking for ID if I didn't have the receipt or was asking for cash rather than them putting the refund back on the card they had on file but to require photo ID for something with the original receipt is absolutely ridiculous.  I happily wrote corporate telling them I will be returning all my purchases for my 3 children and 12 nieces and nephews and taking my business elsewhere from now on.  

The good thing about it is I can probably get all of these items cheaper on Amazon!

:iagree: It's like busy work in school, let's see how many unnecessary things we can get you to do to protect our butts and so it looks like we're doing our job. As for the license thing I don't always carry mine either, especially when DH is driving.  I was pulled over and didn't have ID (many years ago) the officer just sighed  and gave me a ticket that would get dismissed if I dropped by the police station within 5 business days. Well I'd lost it and had no way (until someone sent me my birth cert.) to get another one.  So I paid the $50 fine and that was it. Just saying it wasn't a huge deal.

As for Toys R Us, it was wonderful that you and you DH got to spend time with each other shopping for your kids, I don't know if it's wonderful enough to make up for the exorbitant prices.  I'd buy online and spend the difference on a nice lunch out for the two of you.

I can see that.  I think there's a fair bit of anti-ID feeling in the UK.  I think it's connected in the national consciousness with having to carry 'papers' during WWII.  People were pretty pleased when rationing ended and they didn't have to account for themselves.  So younger people have grown up within that mentality.  The government tried to introduce ID cards a few years back, and it was very unpopular.

This was the ministerial statement at the time of the collapse of the ID card scheme:

Ms May said: "This bill is a first step of many that this government is taking to reduce the control of the state over decent, law-abiding people and hand power back to them. With swift Parliamentary approval, we aim to consign identity cards and the intrusive ID card scheme to history within 100 days."

I was thinking along these lines:

• the hospital pulls up your records when they admit you (perhaps this can give them vital information. Pregnancy, allergies, recent traumas, etc.)

• family doesn't know you got hit by a car, mugged, etc. (you aren't actually missing)

• you don't have any family nearby but the newspaper reports the story & possibly uses your name

• you are missing, but were not at the hospital when family called there

How long does one wait to call hospitals? What if the person has only been gone a few hours? You would probably not know to look for them.

Yes.  I can see all that.  I suppose I just travel hopefully.  I went out for a walk in the dark last night - no phone, no ID.  I was wearing a high visibility tabard, so I was looking after myself in that sense (as I was walking on roads) but an ID didn't occur to me.