Menu

Dr. Hive -- alternating tylenol and ibuprofin

mlktwins

DS has a really bad sore throat (and low grade fever).  He never asks for meds and he is begging for his next dose of medicine because his throat hurts so bad (he is crying from the pain).  The low grade fever started yesterday and the sore throat this morning.  I started him with mortin, but he wanted more medicine before the 6 hours was up (about the 4 hour mark).  I finally gave him Tylenol at 4:30 (his next dose of motrin was due at 6:30) and he was asking for more at 6:30.  He doesn't want to eat or drink, although he has promised to eat and drink something after his next dose kicks in.  I am calling the Dr. first thing tomorrow am.

So, if I gave him Tylenol at 4:30, I should give him motrin at 8:30, and Tylenol again at 12:30?  I hate giving him this much and he never asks for medicine for a fever.  It is the sore throat pain that is doing it.

Am I dosing him correctly this way?

Thanks so much!

Tylenol and Motrin work differently so you can alternate them and follow their own schedules. So if you give Tylenol at 12, you can give it again at 4, even if you give Motrin at 2.

This is what I do, if I must. But yeah, we had this last week. It was BAD. The sooner you get on antibiotics, the better it will be. I was able to get one dd started almost as soon as her symptoms appeared because we knew what was coming, and her throat never got as bad as mine and my other dd's. 

Thank you all so much!!! We've been out of town and drove home today. I'm calling the Dr. as soon as they open tomorrow am to get him in. He has had strep one time and his throat hurts as bad now as it did then.

We did get some liquids in him when he took his meds. He is sleeping like a log now.

Tylenol and Motrin work differently so you can alternate them and follow their own schedules. So if you give Tylenol at 12, you can give it again at 4, even if you give Motrin at 2.

:iagree: Yep, this is what we do. 

Also, although many may disagree, I give benedryl too.  Helps them rest and dries up stuffy sinuses that cause even MORE irritation to throat. 

This is what I do, if I must. But yeah, we had this last week. It was BAD. The sooner you get on antibiotics, the better it will be. I was able to get one dd started almost as soon as her symptoms appeared because we knew what was coming, and her throat never got as bad as mine and my other dd's. 

So sorry you all had to deal with this :-( !!!  So far it is just DS 1!

Thanks again everyone!  Quick strep test was negative.  Ped confirmed rotate Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 3 hours.  He needs to drink enough to urinate every 8 hours. 

Dr. said this is a bad virus (his throat was so red) and will run its course in 3-5 days.  Hoping that he means the count started on Sat when he got his first headache :-(.   

I don't know if he's old enough to do this effectively, but I've found gargling with warm salt water really helps my throat feel better when it's sore.

He is 9, but has never gargled anything.  I'm going to have him practice with water when he is feeling better so we can do this next time around.

Boy, whatever this is, it is really bad :-(.  DS1 is finally coming out on the other side.  He willingly drank this morning :-). He still won't eat anything, but hopefully later today he will.

His brother started the fever sometime during the night.  Fun times ahead :-( .