Menu

Brainstorm a solution with me here...handy, creative, crafty moms please look

Ok, so we bought this little table at IKEA...it's really too small but I really want to make it work because to be honest no table we have ever had has made my husband happy and I'm tired of falling in love with tables and then having to give them away. But, he likes this one (go figure)

The problem is, it has a really WEIRD surface.  It's basically treated wood, such as you would find on an outdoor deck. I think it's awesome because it's easy to clean...

BUT my dd finds it to be like nails on a chalkboard whenever ANY fabric swipes across the table. I have tried to tell her to get over it, to ignore it, to move on, but...she can't.  To her, the sound and feel is like the worst nails on a chalkboard ever...

soo...how do we solve this problem?  I am not much of an outside the box thinker...

I have looked up "table tops" hoping for Plexiglas that is cut to size and then delivered but was unsuccessful.  Plus, the entire table and chairs set was on sale for 99.00...i really don't want to spend more than 25. fixing this issue...

I thought of super large place mat but was unable to find one that would truly cover her side and my side when we do school....

I thought about buying another set of budget furniture but we will likely spend 400.00 and again, I will likely have a husband complaining about the table (idk what his problem is with tables...)

??

This is a long shot but do you have an old Mirror?  You could get it cut to size for hopefully not very much and use that as the table top.  I realize that's a bit 70's but we ended up doing that a few years ago.

I have also had glass cut to fit a coffee table and it really wasn't that costly, at least where we are at.

Or you could get several educational plastic place mats and fuse them together?

What is the table used for when you aren't doing school stuff? Is it for dining purposes, too, or just school?

That makes it tougher.  This year we ended up getting a small, rectangular folding table to work on for most school stuff because our dining table tends to shake a bit and has some seams that get in the way of writing smoothly.  The shape of our current table does not lend itself to an easily sized and cut glass top and the shaking makes that irrelevant any way.  

But in the past I have put place mats together, I have cut glass to fit table tops and I have honestly used old mirrors to make tables more usable for whatever we were using them for.  Just not viable options for our current situation.  

Good luck, Calming Tea.  I feel your pain.   :laugh:

We have a desk protector that my son made. We copied the design from the one he made in the Waldorf school he attended until grade 2 (long story, but that desk protector was like the raison d'etre of our homeschooling - it was the straw that broke the camels back for DS at school). Its a large piece of cardboard, covered in three or four sheets of paper for cushioning, the top is a beautiful coloured drawing DS made, then the whole thing is covered in contact. You could make one each, or one big enough to cover the area of the table on which you work. Ours is held down by blu tac. You could take it off when you aren't homeschooling

D

OK, so update:  I bought a thick clear plastic table cloth and it's perfect.  It was under $15, and it takes away the whole cloth on weird dry surface thing for my dd.  It does't slide too badly but we may decide to use the blow dryer and staple gun to permanently adhere it to the table.  I can decide later.

Thank you!  This was the cheapest solution and it's working.