Menu

please tell me it will be okay

MedicMom

I went to urgent care today and then got sent to the emergency room. I thought I was probably overtired and anemic.

Nope, I'm 6 weeks 4 days.

On top of everything else thats been going on with DH being injured and DS' needs. Also, I conceived my first two with fertility treatments, was assured I could never get pregnant naturally, AND I was on the pill to treat PCOS symptoms.

Please someone just tell me it will be okay. Of course this will be a very loved baby. But right now I just want to cry.

Thank you.

I am due July 15, but I will deliver at about 36 weeks due to a uterine tear with the last baby.

Did I mention that three weeks ago I finally got rid of the last of the baby stuff?

Well that's a sure fire sign you are going to get pregnant.  I did the same thing and my surprise #4 kid showed up.  Now all of his baby stuff will stay with me until menopause. 

It will be okay.  It will take some adjusting and getting used to, but in the end, it will be okay.

Congratulations, and yes, it will be ok. ;)

I have pcos and endometriosis. We conceived dd with the help of fertility treatment, and she was my only pregnancy despite going o'natural for many, many years. Now that I am content and over the whole the baby thing, dh and I joke that we are prime for a surprise baby. :lol:  My doctor jokes that he is going to see me on the "I didn't know I was pregnant..." show.  Who knows, I may be copying your post in a couple of years. Seriously, though, enjoy the ride. Find all the positives and focus on those. :001_smile:  You'll feel calmer soon.

edited

Congratulations and hugs.

Last September, we discovered that our planned and wanted baby #3 was actually babies #3 and #4. I was upset, to put it mildly. :) Lots of tears, lots of anxiety, lots of changed plans. It took a little while to get used to the idea of *two babies* and to prepare for them, but it has turned out to be so wonderful--and crazy. 

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:   It WILL be o.k. but you must take care of yourself.  Do not feel selfish.  You have to rest and do the best you can to just mentally walk away from the things you cannot do anything about.

On a side note, I have a friend who's very stressed husband was in the middle of changing the diapers of their twin babies before he and his wife had to rush kids to school, the babies to the in-laws and both parents had to head off to work.  She came in and announced to him that she had just taken a pregnancy test (positive).  She was certain she was unexpectedly pregnant with the baby that wasn't supposed to be possible (since they were no longer doing fertility treatments).  He passed out cold.  :)  But yes, things worked out for them, too.

Oh! My! Goodness! Go and have a good cry.  Of course you're shocked and overwhelmed-anyone in your situation would be. Later you'll be thrilled and excited but it's hard to shift gears so quickly, so give yourself time to process one feeling at a time.

My husband had a vasectomy after my life threatening pregnancy to both me and the baby.  Even I had to sign the paperwork stating I fully understood that surgical sterilization done correctly has a failure rate and if I got pregnant in the future they were not liable. We didn't conceive afterward but we could've-other people do.  Sometimes, things just don't  fit the statistical norms. Knowing that doesn't make the shock less severe.  Give yourself some time.

And congratulations!  It'll all be OK.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

It will be okay.

I had a similar shock and reaction when I found out we were having Babyman. We had thought we were done with just Brotherman, and we to make some hard adjustments. Of course he's wonderful and we wouldn't trade him for anything...but yeah, definitely an adjustment.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

What an incredible shock -- no wonder you are feeling like you want to cry!  I'm sure you couldn't believe it when they told you that you were pregnant, and I'll bet the whole thing feels absolutely surreal right now.

I want to congratulate you, but it may take a little while for that to mean much to you -- but I'm sure you'll feel happy about it soon, and I wish you an uneventful pregnancy and a happy, healthy baby.

(((Hugs)))

Yes, it will be okay! My 3rd is a post-V baby (long story, instead of "breaking" it, surgery actually "fixed" it, weird complication), and it took a long, long time for me to come to terms with it. I laughed for a long time because I'm too INTJ to cry over things like this. And if I'm honest I still have my days of guilt and disbelief and OMG I CAN'T DO THIS. I have chronic health problems (more testing next month for Celiac and Crohn's), DH has a permanent back injury, my oldest two are still quite young and needy. And for goodness sake the only reason I peed on a stick was to get rid of the last test before getting rid of the crib (and had already gotten rid of everything else).

DS is 15 months now and so adorable, so funny, so bright, and so, so loved.

Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

Thank you all so much.

The idea of a baby isn't freaking me out as much as the idea of baby + DS's special needs + working full time to support us while DH deals with his injury and what that means long term for his career.

I'm just pretty overwhelmed at the moment. I just keep telling myself I have a while to figure it all out.

With all of that going against the odds of this baby being conceived, he must have just been meant to be. When I found out about my last baby, I called my mother crying. She told me, quite calmly, that I didn't have to have it. That pretty much shut me up immediately and made me realize that I did want this child. He has been the best gift I ever received. (I don't really count the girls as gifts in the same sense. Getting them here was a lot of work!) Yes, it will be okay. It will be better than okay.

Wow!  I'm shocked for you!  And my very best wishes for your sweet baby and your pregnancy. 

I think if I had to buy all the stuff again for a baby, I'd buy less.  It would be sort of fun to gather the stuff based on what I know now... after I got over the shock and awe of it all.  You have a lot going on, but what a nice surprise.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Yes it will be ok!  

Chalk me up as another PCOSer with a long history of treatments who has a surprise caboose.  Oh I was so annoyed at the time - so much irony.  I was pretty miserable physically and the next oldest sibling was 5 months.  But, I had stopped-nursing-and-started-running-again at the same time, which apparently kicked the metabolism into proper gear.  According to the early ultrasound, I somehow conceived the weekend that dh was staying with another ds at children's hospital.  (Naturally, my ever-helpful mother said something to the effect that I must have finally "relaxed"  :glare:.  Right, I was so relaxed while my 5 y.o. ds was having surgery on his spinal cord.)  I would never have guessed at the time, but as it turns out, my dd's entire personality can be summed up with "Surprise!!! I'm here!!! It's time to party!" :)