Menu

Neuropsych Eval in 2 days-what info should I take

:grouphug:   I am a bit confused.  Is there no preliminary meeting before the eval?  Or at least contact by e-mail or phone giving you some guidelines?  Did  they not give you a form to fill out?  Questions to answer?  Could you ask if they can send you some questions to prepare answers for ahead of time?  I was given forms to fill out and I had to pass on those forms to anyone else who was helping to educate my child.  The forms were submitted before DD and DS ever had their evals so that information was already on file.

My suggestion, if they didn't give you anything to fill out and your child is going straight into the eval, is to get some sleep, then write down everything in a spiral that you can think of off the top of your head that you have observed, both strengths and weaknesses.  Make sure you are not making assumptions.  What did you actually see/hear/observe?  Also write down your mommy instinct thoughts and feelings.  But try to keep those separate from your observation notes.  Once you have it all written down, maybe try to organize it into categories with headings so you can look back at your notes quickly.

Hugs and best wishes.  And don't worry that you won't remember everything.  They are the professionals.  Theoretically they will know how to suss everything out, even without a lot of detailed input from you.

I wrote a bullet point list of observations, strengths and weaknesses, and family dynamics, as well as things I would like to get from the evaluation (basically, ideas to effectively teach him, whether assistive technology would make sense, etc). I printed out two copies, one for each of us. I used the list to help me remember things, and she made notes on her copy about things we discussed. It seemed to help both of us, as we were able to chat about details instead of me waiting for her to write down the basics. 

ETA: I also took in copies of his vision therapy assessment and an old OT assessment. 

I wrote a bullet point list of observations, strengths and weaknesses, and family dynamics, as well as things I would like to get from the evaluation (basically, ideas to effectively teach him, whether assistive technology would make sense, etc). I printed out two copies, one for each of us. I used the list to help me remember things, and she made notes on her copy about things we discussed. It seemed to help both of us, as we were able to chat about details instead of me waiting for her to write down the basics.

ETA: I also took in copies of his vision therapy assessment and an old OT assessment.

Thank you! I had planned to be much more prepared for this. It's a long wait usually. But they called Thursday & said they had a cancellation for this Tuesday. It was now or wait til May.

Wait, you already had the appointment in April?  And they aren't giving any results until December?  

I called the clinic to get an appointment in April. We didn't actually see someone until October. Allegedly there are only three professionals who do neuropsych evals in our metro region, and all are booked out similarly. 

I called the clinic to get an appointment in April. We didn't actually see someone until October. Allegedly there are only three professionals who do neuropsych evals in our metro region, and all are booked out similarly. 

Oh, o.k.  :)   I thought you had an appt. in April and they weren't releasing the results until December.  October to December still seems ridiculously long but April to December seemed like medical malpractice  :lol: , at least to me.

That is still frustrating, though.  Of course, where I live, we don't even have 3.  I have found 2.  And neither has a good reputation at all.  So I am trying to go out of town. It will be 4 hours out of town.  But at least I don't have to go out of state.

Well it's over. I feel such a sense of relief for some reason. Like the burden is off my shoulders or something. I really liked the examiner. He said DD have good effort. I don't think he was prepared for me to have so much to say lol! He said they usually give summary over the phone then send report but he thought I was the type who would enjoy going through the details. DH said 'wow he figured you out quick' lol. He didn't say too much other than concerns about processing speed & attention. He have me a checklist that I figured was for ADHD & I checked off every item ;)

By the way-my DD has a brain tumor & suffers seizures as a result. All the testing is through our treatment center-St Jude. The examiner said there is emerging research that he thinks will help guide the way we can manage DD. He said that ADHD manifests itself a little differently in kids like mine. And the combo of brain tumor & seizures is like a perfect storm. I am really interested to hear all he has to say at out next appt (dec 10).

Oh-I drank A LOT of coffee today to help me fill out all the forms & get through the history/interview after an almost sleepless night with the baby. Thankfully there Is a Starbucks inside the hospital :)

I'm so glad you had a good experience!!! YES, YES, YES take all the time he'll give you!  They're used to dealing with parents, but we're parents PLUS teachers.  We need that extra time.  Our first psych (with dd) I inquisitioned for 2 1/2 hours.  The psych I used with ds is a bit different.  He gives you time upfront but phone calls and a 6 months progress checkup.  AND he said we could use the hours that would have gone to the school consult.  So I love that I can have that gap to come back with more questions later.  I know I'm going to have them.  

Well good, I'll bet you are relieved!!  It's horrible going through it but there's such a peace clearing the air and getting answers and a path forward.