Menu

Anyone making a new side dish for Thanksgiving

ScoutTN

Following!

I am not hosting this year, but am in charge of the green on the table.  I've been going back and forth between a green salad and a cooked green veggie.  Your salad sounds lovely and I immediately thought of the baby kale mix that Sam's Club sells.  That would make a salad so easy!

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll do both.  A baby kale salad and then some green beans.  For the green beans I'm planning on steaming them and then tossing them in homemade mac-n-cheese sauce.  I may do a crunchy topping of sorts.  I didn't want to do a green bean casserole...

I might do something with carrots because I happen to have 10,000 carrots from the garden so really I probably should.  Maybe I'll get some parsnips and do roasted carrots and parsnips.  Otherwise, no just the usual fare.  I'd love to do more, but with only 3 adults and 2 kids that eat like birds all that food just would be too much. 

I am doing a basic sauteed green veggies dish ( haricots verts, snap peas, asparagus and broccolini) for those who like plain veggies and a brussels sprout and artichoke heart casserole because it is Dh's favorite.

Both can be made ahead and just heated. I will assemble the casserole Tuesday and par boil the other veggies Monday. I am betting on lots of side dishes to fill people up so that I will have some leftover turkey! ;)

I might do something with carrots because I happen to have 10,000 carrots from the garden so really I probably should. Maybe I'll get some parsnips and do roasted carrots and parsnips. Otherwise, no just the usual fare. I'd love to do more, but with only 3 adults and 2 kids that eat like birds all that food just would be too much.

We love parsnips! Add a little sherry to the roasting pan with your 'snips and carrots! Yummy.

I am doing a basic sauteed green veggies dish ( haricots verts, snap peas, asparagus and broccolini) for those who like plain veggies and a brussels sprout and artichoke heart casserole because it is Dh's favorite.

Both can be made ahead and just heated. I will assemble the casserole Tuesday and par boil the other veggies Monday. I am betting on lots of side dishes to fill people up so that I will have some leftover turkey! ;)

Do you have a recipe for the casserole?  Sounds delish!

Do you have a recipe for the casserole? Sounds delish!

1 package frozen brussels sprouts, cooked about halfway, acc. to package directions.

1 can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered

Mix veggies together in a casserole dish.

Stir together 1/2 Cup mayo, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon celery salt. Spoon over veggies. Sprinkle with sliced almonds and some parmesan cheese.

Bake at 325 about 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

**Doubles well! Can be made ahead then bake later but allow more time.

I like the mayo sauce and do half again, but my MIL makes it as I have written it above.

This is my MIL's recipe. Not original with me. She doesn't remember where she got it.

Well, we were supposed to be at my Aunt's for Thanksgiving....but I'm not sure if we'll be going.  Still, we were going to roast a turkey and have our own Thanksgiving over the weekend.

DS1 loves brussel sprouts.  Nobody else really does, but I was going to try and roast some for him.  They looked all fresh and lovely at Trader Joe's, and I couldn't resist it when he seemed so happy to see them.

Not sure how I'll roast them...or what else I may do....but that's the plan.

I am trying a baby kale and oranges salad from Southern Living.

Other than that I am sticking to tried and true family favorites and some things that can be made ahead.

ETA, I am cooking a fresh, pastured turkey this year and that is new for me!

Do tell?

I have really enjoyed the shredded curly kale, walnuts, shaved parmesan, and mandarin salad at a healthy cafeteria I frequent.  I pick out the mandarins, but doing the same salad at home with pomegranate arils is HEAVEN.   (It goes well with on olive oil and balsamic vinegar mixture if one feels the need.)

Are you happy with the results? I have been eyeing that recipe as well.

Yes!  I just used whatever figs I could find at TJs, a decent port, and I eyeballed the amount of cranberries because I was using a huge bag. 

The amount it makes isn't large, so it depends on if you'll serve other sauces and how big your crowd is.  I almost always cook, but this year SIL is hosting for the first time.  I have a turkey breast and will make some other dishes on Friday or Saturday so we can have our own Thanksgiving here.  I might just save the sauce for then.

It is a nice mix of savory, sweet, etc.  I think it is quite yummy.  I would like to make it again to serve with pork tenderloin.