Menu

Handmade Holidays 2014

mommymilkies

Anyone want to join and share what they're doing/making? We're going to have to have a very handmade holiday this year as dh's overload pay comes the day *after* Christmas.  And my kids don't really need anything, anyway.  They have way too much already.  So they thought it was a good idea to have mostly homemade gifts. 

Made or in-process:

two traveller leather notebook covers. 

A knit fox stole

A knit wolf hat (needs eyes)

A Gryffindor sweater

I still have to make:

notebook inserts

two more leather notebooks

a leather wallet (?) or satchel

fox pillow

fox plushie

ornaments and cookies for family

doll clothes

sewing kit

two sweaters

cord/earbud keepers

spy kit

slippers

nook/journal leather notebook

hedgehog hat and mitts

felt boots in two sizes

doctor kit

if I have time, a cloth doll. 

Anyone else?  I feel a wee bit overwhelmed and it'd be nice to see if anyone else is working like an elf. :)

Oh, good idea!

FO:

Handspun cowl (a very quick knit, pattern here for you Ravelers)

Hat (knitted)

Pull-it-surprise scarf (knitted)

UFO:

Cabled scarf

Hand warmers

Hat/mittens

36 dozen cookies (Everyone in the family is getting a nice holiday-themed platter and lots of cookies!)

eta: My local yarn shop is doing a white elephant gift exchange, and collecting hat donations for a local homeless shelter. So add 2 knitted hats to my UFO list!

Perfect timing! I hit JoAnn's with my merry moolah coupons yesterday and bought supplies for a few projects. I'm trying not to let my crafting appetite get bigger than my time available this year. I have a tendency to get really excited about making gifts and then buy a bunch of supplies I run out of time to use. So, I'll be working in phases, not buying any more supplies until I finish with what I have on hand now. 

At the moment, I know for sure that I'll be:

• decorating a small wooden box for each of my two teens with an illustration and quote from a favorite book. We'll use these to give each one a Barnes & Noble gift card, since I don't like to give empty boxes. (B&N is running their annual gift card promotion, too. Buy &75's worth of gift cards in any denominations and get a $10 card free, We bought cards for each of the kids and will use the promo card to discount another book we want for our son that doesn't come out for another couple of weeks.)
  • sewing a work-appropriate skirt for my daughter,
  • sewing a vest for my son.
  • sewing PJ pants and decorating/embellishing a t-shirt to make personalized PJs for each of them.
  • sewing a pair of lounge pants for my husband.
  • making a clothespin angel ornament for my daughter. (Traditional, although since she moved out this year, I think this will be the last one of the collection.)
  • making an ornament for my son. (Traditional, too.)
  • assembling a binder with her favorite "Mom-recipes" for my daughter. It's not exactly crafting, I guess, but it is a project.

The scarf I crocheted for her is currently being blocked. Once that's done, I'll add the pom-poms to the ends. That one isn't a surprise or a Christmas gift. I volunteered to make her one when the one she fell in love with online was very expensive. I'm racing to get it done, though, so I can give it to her while she's home for Thanksgiving.

m

7 years ago I bought a $20 lot of leather scraps on ebay and I still have a Walmart bag full!  I'm so glad I did, as that's the bulk of my gifts this year.  There were some pretty big pieces left even after making shoes for kids in the past.  I looked up leather prices to buy a thicker piece for a purse for my Mother and oh dear.  WAY out of budget.  

I got one more notebook mostly made last night-I need to go buy more black elastic cord to finish.  This one has an insert in back to hold a Nook Color.  I'm not quite happy with the one I made for me.  The leather is too thin and soft.  It's pretty (and that's what I had), but I think I'll need to reinforce the other notebooks with thicker leather pockets.  

I also cut out some fabric teabags for a pretend tea set and two pretend medical masks.  I need to sew them today but it would've been too noisy (and interrupted my show) yesterday. :p

My kids are starting jewelry and ornaments today for family.