Menu

So I woke up remembering I had to get the turkey out of the freezer.

lynn

and realized "WHAT was I thinking?"  I purchased a 16lb turkey, for 6 of us? :svengo:   I was on the phone when with dh while I was grocery shopping so I must have looked at the price instead of the weight. :leaving:    Going to search for some really good leftover turkey recipes.

Too big is not a problem. The day after Thanksgiving, chop all the meat off and put it in ziplocks -- 1 lb per ziplock -- and put them in the freezer. It's great for emergency meals -- you just make anything that needs meat (stirfry, gravy to go over rice, whatever) and then dump it in.

Your post has me worried!!! I did not know what size turkey to get. Now I think I got it too big. We have 8 total, but two of us as small and one is small-middle sized. So something like 5 adults and 3 small little people. How big should we have gotten?

1.5lb - 2lb per person. That's the rule that both my grandma's and my mom taught me anyway.

Are we supposed to leave it OUT out...or just in the fridge now?

If you thaw it out of the fridge, you should put it in a sink of cold water and change the water regularly to keep it cold. Thawing the turkey on the counter isn't a good idea. The fridge also works if you are giving it a few days to thaw.

GOOD that you remembered!!  When my kids were little, I had a couple of years in a row where I forgot to buy a turkey ahead of time. I'd go shopping on Wednesday, too late to thaw, so I'd end up spending $$$ on fresh turkeys.  :glare:   Finally learned my lesson!

I know it's expensive, but I always get a fresh turkey.  I'll buy ours on Wednesday, locally raised, wonderful flavor, never dry.  I buy 16lb for the four of us.  We have full leftover Thanksgiving dinner on Friday for lunch, then I make sandwiches, turkey noodle soup and posole with what's left.  I love Thanksgiving!

As far as dry, there are a couple good ways to keep your turkey's bosom moist and tender.

1) Roast it upside down -- flip it over about 45 minutes before you serve to crisp up the skin.

2) Slap a slab of some fatty pork (bacon is traditional but one year we just did a pork steak) over it before roasting.

Yes, I forgot to get mine out yesterday.  So this morning it is in the sink, getting started.  I'll put it in the 'fridge tonight, and it should be fine by Thursday morning.

I also just ordered the bulk of our groceries.  We'll probably think of something that morning, but at least I've got most of it including ingredients for several dishes using leftover turkey.

Turkey gumbo, turkey salad, turkey sandwiches, turkey omelets, turkey stew, turkey-n-gravy over grits...

I do not mind leftovers and if I'm cooking turkey, it's gonna be the biggest one that fits in my roaster (so appx 20 lbs). I also cube the leftover cooked meat and freeze it in broth for future gumbo.