Menu

Afterschool or not?

My DD(11) was homeschooled up until this year. A new private ćlassical school opened so we decided it was a good time for her to try out school. I have had a harder time adjusting than her:). They moved her up to 6th grade because she was way ahead of the other kids. She has been getting all A's and adjusted well.

How did you do afterschooling without it being too much work for the child? The main subject I would like to after school is writing. She did WWE3 and 4 and IEW SWI-B. She can write a 5 paragraph essay, if told to do so and do it fairly well. She has difficulty, if she is not told exactly what to write, such as the teacher telling them to write a descriptive paragraph, but not telling them how long. She made it into one 200+ word story. She was able to fix it, but only after I explained how to do it.

The class, also does quizzes on the books they are reading. They are done in class and supposed to assess reading comprehension. She says they do not have much time to write a response. Her response sentences includes the correct content and she gets no points taken off for her responses. However, her sentences are run-ons and grammatically incorrect.

I guess I am worried because they moved her up a grade and I am not sure where she should be for 6th grade. There doesn't seem to be much correction of grammar or writing on anything coming home. Overall, they do very little writing, which is also a concern. I read all the time about how the public school kids write so much in school. I have a meeting with her teacher after Thanksgiving.

Thanks for any insight you may have on 6th grade writng!

How much homework does she get?

I would afterschool some if she is not already buried in homework.  If she can't manage it on the weekdays, then maybe on Saturday.

I would adjust my afterschooling based on feedback and grades she receives from her teacher, unless she's pretty much getting straight As.  If she's doing great in all subjects from the teacher's perspective, then go a bit further in the area(s) you want to focus on.

My son went to a b&m school for two consecutive years.  I found it very difficult to afterschool writing because it simply wasn't feasible to give separate writing lessons and assignments on top of my son's other homework.  So I approached the writing issue from two angles.  During the year, any assignment he wrote at home turned into a writing lesson (since the school didn't teach writing *at all*).  Unfortunately, he very rarely got writing assignments--but I did what I could.  I also used the summer between the two years to delve into writing into more depth and we did a modified version of Essay Voyage that I prepared.  

Honestly though, the writing issue--lack of instruction and lack of assignments--was a huge reason we decided to homeschool again this year.

Thanks for the replies! I am just surprised at the lack of writing teaching given to the students. How are they supposed to learn, if no one tells them they are making mistakes? She is getting all A's, but it doesn't mean much to me if she is not learning how to write.

I will continue to correct her mistakes, as I see them come home and I will try to squeeze the writing in as much as I can without overwhelming her.

The other parents say they are very happy with the school, so I guess I need to lower my expectations, too.