Menu

grammar work book

My 3rd grade dd has  been using Language 3 this year with tremendous success.   I am a CM homeschooler and had always automatically shied away from ABeka as being too rote and school-y an approach.  (No child of mine will be wasting their time diagramming sentences.)  However, at a convention last spring i picked up the Language 3 book and thought it would be just right for her and it has been.  I am realizing that my ds who is in 7th grade has real holes in the very areas she is going over in this book. ( I had taught all of it, but perhaps with insufficient repetition? Or perhaps he just doesn't care.)  

Anyway.

What i'd like is a book exactly like the Language 3 from ABeka, but ideally one that at least purports to be a higher level so as not to insult him.  He'd be fine with a lower level than his current level, but not the same book his sister is using.  Is anyone familiar with ABeka?  Does year 5 just review all this stuff again?  Is there something else you can suggest?

My 3rd grade dd has  been using Language 3 this year with tremendous success.   I am a CM homeschooler and had always automatically shied away from ABeka as being too rote and school-y an approach.  (No child of mine will be wasting their time diagramming sentences.)  However, at a convention last spring i picked up the Language 3 book and thought it would be just right for her and it has been.  I am realizing that my ds who is in 7th grade has real holes in the very areas she is going over in this book. ( I had taught all of it, but perhaps with insufficient repetition? Or perhaps he just doesn't care.)  

Anyway.

What i'd like is a book exactly like the Language 3 from ABeka, but ideally one that at least purports to be a higher level so as not to insult him.  He'd be fine with a lower level than his current level, but not the same book his sister is using.  Is anyone familiar with ABeka?  Does year 5 just review all this stuff again?  Is there something else you can suggest?

ABeka is not my favorite. If I were looking for a textbook approach, my first choice would be Rod and Staff Publishers. Even though it lacks the visual appeal of ABeka, IMHO the grammar instruction is equally as good, but the composition instruction is superior, and it does cover some things that ABeka doesn't (although they may be taught in other areas).

For only grammar, my great preference is Easy Grammar. Your ds would do Easy Grammar Plus.