Menu

Talk to me about dealing with crutches

Amira

I broke my foot and had surgery on it yesterday and will be on crutches for 6 weeks.  How can survive this?

We live in a place where I can easily and affordably hire someone to do the cleaning so I don't have to worry about that, but everything else is going to be a problem.  And we have lots and lots of stairs (which is how my foot got broken in the first place).  

Does anyone have recommendations for the best ways to still exercise?  I was on bed rest with my second son and it was very difficult physically afterwards.  Obviously I  won't be that immobile now, but I don't want my body to fall apart again.

:(

I'll be doing physical therapy after I can walk again, although I'll have to ask about starting it before. I'll have to see what types of exercise equipment I can use right now.

I clued in quickly that I need to use a shoulder bag so I can carry things (it had never occurred to before that you can't really carry things when you're on crutches) and our kitchen is blessedly compact so I'm able to move around in there without the crutches all the time. Resting my knee of a chair really helps so one will be living in the kitchen for a while. I might just move in there during the day.

Oh no, Amira.  I'm so sorry.

Will they be moving you to a walking cast in a few weeks? That might help.

Are exercise bands available? You can use those for an at home workout, or even cans or jugs of water to lift weights.

I just saw this laundry basket that has a strap that goes around your neck.  Could you fashion one of those?

:(  Feel better!

Oh no, Amira. I'm so sorry.

Will they be moving you to a walking cast in a few weeks? That might help.

Are exercise bands available? You can use those for an at home workout, or even cans or jugs of water to lift weights.

I just saw this laundry basket that has a strap that goes around your neck. Could you fashion one of those?

:( Feel better!

They sounded like I'd be on crutches the entire six weeks. I'll definitely ask about a walking cast at the next appointment. Even a combinantion of a cast that allowed me to put some weight on it and crutches would be better because I am a clumsy person. I can't see how I'll get through this without another injury!

I think my family will have to carry the laundry around. The washer is down in the basement and I can't carry a basketful of wet clothes up two flights of stairs in any way. But I would feel amazing if I could. :)

Dh has some exercise bands, and I've always meant to order more. This could be my big chance.

Forearm crutches won't fall over every time you need to use your hands for something, because they stay attached to you. This is what I use when not in my chair.

Make sure you know how to safely navigate stairs, too. On the way up, your unaffected leg goes first, followed by affected limb and both crutches, one step at a time. Going down, you lower the affected leg and crutches onto the lower step, then bring your unaffected leg into line with them. You could check youtube for a quick tutorial if you're not sure. I can assure you that it is far more taxing than bed rest!

I currently have an arm in a cast, so different set of issues than you are dealing with.

A few things I am doing:

Gym - seated elliptical where you can do arms, legs or both.

Can you get balanced to do weights? Or do them seated?

If you have a medicine ball, you could sit in chair and toss overhead to partner for a good workout. Google for other ideas using a medicine (or smaller toning) ball. (we use our medicine ball outside...)

There are videos for chair yoga and the like.

If you have a gym nearby, a trainer may be able to offer suggestions.

I am using a purse that goes around my neck. It has a comfortable padded neck strap and great outside pockets for carrying water bottle and easy access to car keys.

I am not able to cook or do much meal prep right now. I am finding pre-cut fruits and veggies to be a life saver for my diet!

Are you using a cast cover for showering? (Or lucked out with a waterproof cast? Mine isn't, as this "model" isn't available with that option.) I like the Curad brand cast covers.

I hope your time goes quickly! I am one month in. In some ways it seems like forever, but feels like yesterday in some regards.

Best wishes for smooth healing.

I think my family will have to carry the laundry around. The washer is down in the basement and I can't carry a basketful of wet clothes up two flights of stairs in any way. But I would feel amazing if I could. :)

I am totally taking this cast time to not do laundry. Or clean house.

Oh. And paper plates are my friend right now.

Paper plates would be great, but I live in Mexico and they're like most US conveniences here- expensive with limited availablity in small quantities. But we're lucky enough to have a dishwasher so it saves a lot of standing.

I should get a waterproof cast next week after the swelling goes down. I'm just using a garbage bag right now for showering. I'm sure there are medical supply places here, but I have no idea where they are. I'll ask my doctor. Maybe I can find a place where we can rent one of those cool knee scooters.

And I'm quickly learning that it takes a lot of exercise to use crutches! I think I'll mostly need to focus my exercising on the leg I'm not using.

My son was on crutches for 8 weeks.  Once he started building up endurance in his arms and his good leg, he got lots of exercise.  He had amazing upper body strength when he could finally start bearing weight again. He always had a backpack on so he could take things up and down the stairs or where ever he wanted to go.  He was pretty good at getting around on crutches by the end of his eight weeks to the point we had to run and keep up.

I have had a few foot surgeries and have spent a lot of time using crutches. Your leg muscle in the cast will shrink and look like a chicken leg. Your muscle will come back, and honestly, you should not worry about that now. I have been in a cast for over 12 weeks at a time and man, my calf muscle was tiny, but it came back. Right now you need to take care to not further injure your broken foot. Be careful on the steps; I usually scooted on my backside - one fall I and got really cautious. Make sure you have extra towels in the bathroom so you can avoid wet spots which are perfect for crutches to slip on. I am sure you know, keep your foot elevated above your heart to reduce swelling. I ended up using a wheel chair as I hated not being able to get a cup of coffee on my own. Best of luck, and it is ok to rest.

Is a knee scooter a possibility ? When I spent a summer with my ankle non-weight bearing the scooter was fantastic! I could cook!

I was able to rent one monthly from a person who had bought one for recovery and then recouped the cost by renting it out.

Also the crutches will become so easy so quickly you will be amazed. Your arms will be beautiful and strong.

No words of advice--last time I needed crutches I was in jr high school--but I do want to wish you a speedy recovery! ... Ok, one word of advice: you do have kids who are old enough to help out with any tasks you can't do safely right now. Allow (or compel, if necessary!) them to help. This is your time to recover, not to stress out about how you're going to accomplish XYZ without further injury.

Ouch. No advice on the crutches, but wishing you a thorough recovery.

My broken foot came when I was 40 weeks pregnant, and I didn't have surgery, went to a walking boot/cast way too soon, and never went to therapy.

Oddly enough, the foot didn't heal all that well.

So, my advice is to focus on letting the foot heal. You can regain muscle later.

My boys are certainly helping out, but the two older boys are very busy with high school right now and because of some upcoming events, we don't have as much flexibility with their schedules as we usually would so they're really not available during the day.

It's taken less than one day to realize how limiting crutches are. I feel like I need someone following me around all the time to help or someone to run around taking care of all the little things I do. I know a lot of them don't really matter but some of them have to get done, especially when we're overseas.

But I am so grateful I'm in Mexico instead of Kyrgyzstan right now. And I'm very glad I'm not 40 weeks pregnant! I can't even imagine this with a pregnancy or a newborn.

I will make sure to focus on getting better. The surgery was recommended but not absolutely necessary, but I wanted to make sure my foot heals well the first time if at all possible.

Exercise: exercise bands, swimming once you have a waterproof cast, yoga positions that you can manage, crunches/squats in adapted positions

My arms bruised horribly from crutches. I also benefitted from grab bars around the toilet as I could not put weight on my leg at all.

Backpacks are crucial. So is planning your day. It's easy to switch loads of laudry and hang it inside---it's difficult to gather and move it.

I'd plan to send someone else grocery shopping...