Menu

If you have used CLE Reading and/or LA, can you tell me about it?

Sahamamama

I've used CLE LA for several years, with three different children. I have found it to be excellent for grammar. I don't start it until the 300 level. My ds who started it this year has made great strides in his grammar skills, and my two older girls have asked each year since they began using it for us to be able to continue it the next year. It's not that it's super fun or anything, it's just really effective, and they can tell it works. It doesn't take too long, so it's not painful. I tried last year to give them a break and started the year with Daily Grams instead, but after a month, both girls asked to go back to CLE because they felt like Daily Grams was so weak comparatively and they were afraid they were going to forget what they had learned (and these are not kids who are usually hyper-conscientious about school stuff!). I supplement the spelling for my two middles, who need a lot of spelling work. I also consider the writing portion of it to be supplementary.

I did try CLE Reading for my older two one year (probably the year they were 3rd and 6th), and we didn't do it for long. They're both great readers and while they enjoyed the stories, it felt like busy work to me and we dropped it. I recall not being thrilled with the stories themselves when I looked at the books, though I don't remember details. I think it had to do with their world view.

Hope that helps!

I'm curious why you don't start it until third grade? I have several resources I like for 3+ grade, but am looking for 1st-2nd Language arts/reading curriculum for my youngest for next year. She will be a fluent reader by September when we'll begin first grade. I own FLL & WWE, but for some reason I like them better beginning at 3rd grade. Anyway, just curious why you begin CLE later. Seems like I've heard others say the same thing.

I've used both the reading and language arts, at the 6th grade level for LA and 8th for Reading. i liked both, a lot. The language arts really teaches grammar well. We started it late, and grammar is my son's worst subject, so we used the 6th grade book in 8th grade. The reading taught things like literary terms, which I had managed to miss in our earlier studies. The stories are not great literature, but are fine. My only concern/negative was that sometimes the comprehension questions were a bit vague, or required more inference than my aspie could handle. When we hit those questions I just didn't count them off if he got them wrong. But he liked the program, and I think it was worthwhile 

I'm curious why you don't start it until third grade? I have several resources I like for 3+ grade, but am looking for 1st-2nd Language arts/reading curriculum for my youngest for next year. She will be a fluent reader by September when we'll begin first grade. I own FLL & WWE, but for some reason I like them better beginning at 3rd grade. Anyway, just curious why you begin CLE later. Seems like I've heard others say the same thing.

Not Kand, but a lot of people wait until 3rd because 2nd is so phonics heavy.  Not just phonics, but dictionary markings.  If you think dictionary markings are important for a 2nd grader to get down cold, I think it's just the thing.

I used some of the early years of CLE Reading, and the middle elementary years of CLE Language Arts. 

The reading program was fine for what I was looking for - good stories for building fluency and reading comprehension questions.

The LA program was solid on grammar, as others have said.  The spelling and penmanship met our needs as well.  However, after a couple of years it was clear my dd needed more for writing - both in terms of instruction and number of assignments. 

Blessings,

Laura