Menu

Feedback on composition classes at Wilson Hill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I don't check the forums very often, so sorry that this is a late response.  Someone else just asked me about Wilson Hill's FOEW class taught by Mrs. Lange, so I'll post what I wrote.  My 7th grader is taking the class.

The teacher, Mrs. Lange, is wonderful!  The first semester she covered Grammar, Short stories, poetry, the Odyssey, and now Canterbury Tales.  She has taught them the Schaeffer method of writing, giving them a pattern of organization to write on topics found in the short stories and the Odyssey.  I have been very impressed with the time she puts in on feedback to the students essays, the way she creatively puts together the curriculum, and the way she uses technology.  Wilson Hill has a discussion area for students in which they share answers and comment on other classmates' work which she uses (currently discussing vocab words found in Canterbury tales).  

My son is a 7th grader and a beginning writer.  I feel like the class has challenged him and motivated him.  I know that there are some more advanced writers in there and I feel like they are challenged too.

It takes a "master teacher" to be able to accomplish this!  I think that's what Wilson Hill offers--master teachers.  Mrs. Lange is definitely one of them.

For what it's worth, I had three of my older children take Composition 1 through Veritas Press.  Though I am a big fan of Veritas, I don't especially love IEW writing which I felt like their Comp. 1 was based on (at least the years my kids took it).  FOEW provides a lot of variety and includes the examination of good stories and grammar, so I've liked it's wholistic approach (and to brag on Mrs. Lange again, she has years of teaching experience and is able to coordinate it all).

Thankful, Alicia

Sorry for being so vague! It's Wilson Hill Academy's Fundamentals of Expository Writing for Middle School Age

http://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/academics/fundamentals-of-expository-writing/

It appears from the website that registration will open on Feb. 9.

Thanks. Looks interesting. Would you say the course is equal parts grammar, writing, & literature? Or is it primarily a writing course? Or mostly literature?

Sorry for being so vague! It's Wilson Hill Academy's Fundamentals of Expository Writing for Middle School Age.

http://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/academics/fundamentals-of-expository-writing/

It appears from the website that registration will open on Feb. 9.

One more question about WHA: how can you tell what level the class is? Does it say recommended age/grade somewhere? I didn't see that in the course descriptions. Also, is there schedule of classes (day & time) posted somewhere?

One more question about WHA: how can you tell what level the class is? Does it say recommended age/grade somewhere? I didn't see that in the course descriptions. Also, is there schedule of classes (day & time) posted somewhere?

Their schedule of classes (days/times) and the details which would include grade/age level, pre-requisites, etc. haven't been posted, yet. I talked to someone there last week, and they're working on the 2015-16 plans. 

• Like 1

Thanks. Looks interesting. Would you say the course is equal parts grammar, writing, & literature? Or is it primarily a writing course? Or mostly literature?

I wrote to Mrs. Lange, the teacher of this course, and she replied within a few hours describing Fundamentals of Expository Writing (targeted towards 7th and 8th graders)--

"As to the balance of writing and literature: I am creating the course so that they are almost completely intertwined. That is one reason some of the books are the same as some of the Great Books choices, and also, why I try to make my "Queries" related to content I feel can be used in writing assignments--and as the year goes on, those queries are becoming more "why" oriented. Also, I am asking them to do some simple diction/literary concept identification, such as find similes in the texts. We are going to be doing a bit more of that this semester using the texts, and we did some, of course, with the poetry unit. And then, most importantly, they take the literature we are reading and learn to create persuasive essays based on specific thesis statements. So the literature and writing are not so much "balanced" as they are integral to each other.

The class is less focused on the grammar. The grammar was supposed to be more of a review/summary, although, as I have informed Nancy Donaldson, it didn't turn out to be that way because the students, for the most part, have not had any diagramming, and they have found it difficult to apply their knowledge from Shurley and other programs to the diagramming. I think this is because diagramming forces them to figure out what words entire phrases modify, whereas those other programs do not. I have suggested to Mrs. Donaldson that the school might want to consider creating a class--one that would come before FOEW--that would be more focused on the grammar in the future."

Here is a great blog post that she wrote describing the Schaeffer Writing method--

http://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/2015/01/16/use-schaffer-writing-method/

Hope that this helps!

I wrote to Mrs. Lange, the teacher of this course, and she replied within a few hours describing Fundamentals of Expository Writing (targeted towards 7th and 8th graders)--

"As to the balance of writing and literature: I am creating the course so that they are almost completely intertwined. That is one reason some of the books are the same as some of the Great Books choices, and also, why I try to make my "Queries" related to content I feel can be used in writing assignments--and as the year goes on, those queries are becoming more "why" oriented. Also, I am asking them to do some simple diction/literary concept identification, such as find similes in the texts. We are going to be doing a bit more of that this semester using the texts, and we did some, of course, with the poetry unit. And then, most importantly, they take the literature we are reading and learn to create persuasive essays based on specific thesis statements. So the literature and writing are not so much "balanced" as they are integral to each other.

The class is less focused on the grammar. The grammar was supposed to be more of a review/summary, although, as I have informed Nancy Donaldson, it didn't turn out to be that way because the students, for the most part, have not had any diagramming, and they have found it difficult to apply their knowledge from Shurley and other programs to the diagramming. I think this is because diagramming forces them to figure out what words entire phrases modify, whereas those other programs do not. I have suggested to Mrs. Donaldson that the school might want to consider creating a class--one that would come before FOEW--that would be more focused on the grammar in the future."

Here is a great blog post that she wrote describing the Schaeffer Writing method--

http://www.wilsonhillacademy.com/2015/01/16/use-schaffer-writing-method/

Hope that this helps!

That helps so much. Thank you for following up on my question. I just love these boards!

Hi, I don't check the forums very often, so sorry that this is a late response. Someone else just asked me about Wilson Hill's FOEW class taught by Mrs. Lange, so I'll post what I wrote. My 7th grader is taking the class.

The teacher, Mrs. Lange, is wonderful! The first semester she covered Grammar, Short stories, poetry, the Odyssey, and now Canterbury Tales. She has taught them the Schaeffer method of writing, giving them a pattern of organization to write on topics found in the short stories and the Odyssey. I have been very impressed with the time she puts in on feedback to the students essays, the way she creatively puts together the curriculum, and the way she uses technology. Wilson Hill has a discussion area for students in which they share answers and comment on other classmates' work which she uses (currently discussing vocab words found in Canterbury tales).

My son is a 7th grader and a beginning writer. I feel like the class has challenged him and motivated him. I know that there are some more advanced writers in there and I feel like they are challenged too.

It takes a "master teacher" to be able to accomplish this! I think that's what Wilson Hill offers--master teachers. Mrs. Lange is definitely one of them.

For what it's worth, I had three of my older children take Composition 1 through Veritas Press. Though I am a big fan of Veritas, I don't especially love IEW writing which I felt like their Comp. 1 was based on (at least the years my kids took it). FOEW provides a lot of variety and includes the examination of good stories and grammar, so I've liked it's wholistic approach (and to brag on Mrs. Lange again, she has years of teaching experience and is able to coordinate it all).

Thankful, Alicia

Any thoughts on whether this class would be manageable by a 6th grader who is a fairly capable, willing writer? She has done WWE 1-3 and 2 years of IEW through Classical Conversations. Her reading level is well-beyond grade level, and she has done a lot of grammar & mechanics study.

Also, do you know whether Wilson Hill is very strict about 'grade level' or do they defer to a parent's judgment with regard to class placement?

Any thoughts on whether this class would be manageable by a 6th grader who is a fairly capable, willing writer? She has done WWE 1-3 and 2 years of IEW through Classical Conversations. Her reading level is well-beyond grade level, and she has done a lot of grammar & mechanics study.

Also, do you know whether Wilson Hill is very strict about 'grade level' or do they defer to a parent's judgment with regard to class placement?

I wrote and asked Mrs. Lange your questions.  She said that it's important that the student can write sentences, ideally be at least in the beginning stages of formulating paragraphs, and is ready for analytical thinking.  They work on constructing good paragraphs through the Schaffer method.

As far as grade level, Mrs. Lange said that it's fine for a sixth grader to take the class but would request a writing sample just to make sure that the student wouldn't be jumping into too deep waters.  Mrs. Lange is very approachable and quick to answer emails.

The best to you!  Maybe I'll see you around Wilson Hill land!

I wrote and asked Mrs. Lange your questions. She said that it's important that the student can write sentences, ideally be at least in the beginning stages of formulating paragraphs, and is ready for analytical thinking. They work on constructing good paragraphs through the Schaffer method.

As far as grade level, Mrs. Lange said that it's fine for a sixth grader to take the class but would request a writing sample just to make sure that the student wouldn't be jumping into too deep waters. Mrs. Lange is very approachable and quick to answer emails.

The best to you! Maybe I'll see you around Wilson Hill land!

Once again, thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I don't check the forums very often, so sorry that this is a late response.  Someone else just asked me about Wilson Hill's FOEW class taught by Mrs. Lange, so I'll post what I wrote.  My 7th grader is taking the class.

The teacher, Mrs. Lange, is wonderful!  The first semester she covered Grammar, Short stories, poetry, the Odyssey, and now Canterbury Tales.  She has taught them the Schaeffer method of writing, giving them a pattern of organization to write on topics found in the short stories and the Odyssey.  I have been very impressed with the time she puts in on feedback to the students essays, the way she creatively puts together the curriculum, and the way she uses technology.  Wilson Hill has a discussion area for students in which they share answers and comment on other classmates' work which she uses (currently discussing vocab words found in Canterbury tales).  

My son is a 7th grader and a beginning writer.  I feel like the class has challenged him and motivated him.  I know that there are some more advanced writers in there and I feel like they are challenged too.

It takes a "master teacher" to be able to accomplish this!  I think that's what Wilson Hill offers--master teachers.  Mrs. Lange is definitely one of them.

For what it's worth, I had three of my older children take Composition 1 through Veritas Press.  Though I am a big fan of Veritas, I don't especially love IEW writing which I felt like their Comp. 1 was based on (at least the years my kids took it).  FOEW provides a lot of variety and includes the examination of good stories and grammar, so I've liked it's wholistic approach (and to brag on Mrs. Lange again, she has years of teaching experience and is able to coordinate it all).

Thankful, Alicia

Hi, Alicia! I'm back with more questions about FOEW. Would you be willing to share the reading list for the class for this year? I'm curious, in particular, about which edition/translation of the Odyssey and Canterbury Tales she has taught this age group. Thanks in advance.

Hello!  Here is the book list for FOEW for 2014-15:

·      Analytical Grammar by Robin Finley  (student book)

·      Little Worlds: A Collection of Short Stories for the Middle School (ed. Peter Guthrie and Mary Page);  Wayside Publishing  978-1-877653-52-0

·      The Odyssey  by Homer; trans. Richmond Lattimore:  Release date: June 26, 2007 | ISBN-10: 006124418X | ISBN-13: 978-0061244186 | Edition: Reissue

·      Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (Selected): An Interlinear Translation by Geoffrey Chaucer, trans. Vincent F. Hopper   This edition is required. Publication Date: March 1, 2012 | ISBN-10: 1438000138 | ISBN-13: 978-1438000138 | Edition: 3

·      To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee  Recommended version: Mass Market Paperback edition ISBN-10: 0446310786; ISBN-13: 978-0446310789

·      Julius Caesar by Shakespeare:  Oxford University Press: Reprint Edition (2010) ISBN-10: 0198328680 ISBN-13: 978-0198328681

Thanks for all of the information.  I registered my daughter for this coming year's FOEW.  The class sounded like what I was looking for, but it is so encouraging to hear the recommendation of Mrs. Lange.  My daughter and I are both excited about next school year with Great Conversations and FOEW at Wilson Hill.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have contact info for Mrs. Lange?  I'm interested in speaking to her about placement for my son.  He is capable of writing paragraphs, but they are not necessarily "deep."  He has always hated writing and will do anything to avoid it/get it over with as quickly as possible.  He has had grammar every year but still struggles.  This year he is doing some 5 paragraph essay writing and doing Easy Grammar Plus, but I would not say that he is acing either one.  He is doing okay in both.   And any insights you might have would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much!

It is usually firstinitial / last name @ wilsonhillacademy.com

So, it should be clange @ (above address)

Don't try this with Starlet Baker, though. You'll get Scott Baker, who also teaches there.  :lol:  He is nice enough to pass on stray emails to Starlet...  :hat:

Edited by RootAnn

Thanks for all of the information. I registered my daughter for this coming year's FOEW. The class sounded like what I was looking for, but it is so encouraging to hear the recommendation of Mrs. Lange. My daughter and I are both excited about next school year with Great Conversations and FOEW at Wilson Hill.

rr

How is FOEW going for dd?

Dd is loving FOEW and looks forward to the class discussions.  It has been a success!  I always feel like choosing classes is a bit of a gamble, but this one has been wonderful.  I know that every student is different, but for dd FOEW has developed her analytical thinking and it shows in her writing.  I wish I had received writing instruction like that.  I went to a highly regarded STEM high school, but the language arts were often neglected.  If you have any questions, JadeOrchidSong, let me know.

• Like 1

b2bh,

Thanks for the encouraging message. I like the look of Great Converstation, too. But it looks very intense. Also, I would like ds13 to do US history. Does he need to do Great Conversation 3?

JadeOrchidSong,

I recently signed my ds13 up for TGC3 with Wilson Hill. I emailed briefly with Bruce Etter and explained that my son was on the young side and had not read many of the Great Books yet. He was very helpful and recommended TGC3 as a good place for him to start. He took the time to answer my questions and even emailed me the class syllabus. I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions you might have. I am very impressed with how helpful the instructors at Wilson Hill have been.

• Like 1

b2bh,

Thanks for the encouraging message. I like the look of Great Converstation, too. But it looks very intense. Also, I would like ds13 to do US history. Does he need to do Great Conversation 3?

It does look like GC 3 covers US history.  My oldest has only done GC1 so far.  I think the workload is supposed to be fairly similar between 1 and 3.  GC and FOEW are both wonderful but they are a substantial amount of work put together.  My daughter has never complained though because the teachers' enjoyment of the material is contagious.  

ETA: The GC1 material is often considered more difficult because the ancient writings are more remote to the student, but the amount of reading and writing time required is supposed to be similar.  I also talked to Mr. Etter last year before signing my daughter up for classes and I agree that he was very helpful in determining placement for my child.  Mrs. Lange also was a great resource for placement in the writing sequence at WHA.  

Edited by h2bh
  • Like 1

ETA: The GC1 material is often considered more difficult because the ancient writings are more remote to the student, but the amount of reading and writing time required is supposed to be similar. I also talked to Mr. Etter last year before signing my daughter up for classes and I agree that he was very helpful in determining placement for my child. Mrs. Lange also was a great resource for placement in the writing sequence at WHA.

I also emailed with Mrs. Lange. She really took the time to make sure my son was placed in the right class. She reviewed some of his writing and even consulted with the Honors Composition instructor. I think he was pretty borderline, but they both felt he would benefit from the FOEW class. I'm pretty happy with that.

• Like 1