Menu

Looking for the perfect Algebra 1

My 7th grader is nearly finished with Pre-Algebra, and I think we should start Algebra 1 during the 2nd semester.  There are so many choices!  We keep coming back to Horizons, and she's using that for Pre-Alg.  But I keep wondering if there's something we're missing.  She's an excellent student and has done quite well with her math, but she's not a mathy math lover. It's just something she tolerates.  :rolleyes: 

I'm totally open to suggestions.  Checking previous threads only makes me want them all. I'm looking for something challenging but not overly difficult.  Is there such a thing?

Well, you're right.  There are so many choices and no 'perfect' Algebra 1, IMO.  But there are many, many great programs which vary based on a child's unique skillset.  Since I was one of the many Fence Straddlers in that long thread I ended up buying at least 5 different texts/programs - Foerster, Dolciani, AoPS, TabletClass, Real World Algebra.  For ds13 we used two and really like them for different reasons- AoPS and TabletClass.  That being said I'm not sure what we'll use for our girls yet.  I want to wait and see how they are doing in Pre-A before making that assessment and decision.

If your daughter is strong in math but not a math lover I would not select AoPS as a first choice.  Instead I would pick another solid program such as Foerster or Dolciani if 'you' want to teach and grade it.  Otherwise look into Derek Owens, Wilson Hill Academy, TabletClass or Jann in Texas for instructor lead courses.  Of course there are many other options as well.   ;)    

I'm OK with staying with Horizons. I had bought several other Pre-algebtpra texts. We tried AoPS, Jousting Armadillos, Lials, but by 2nd quarter, we were both relieved to get back to Horizons. I was thinking (too much) about changing for the next level of math, mainly because there doesn't seem to be much support here for Horizons.

I like the look of Jacobs, but I wish it were easier to find. Concerning Jacobs, is there much difference in the editions?

Stay with the publisher/program that you know works well until a--it stops working or b--you run out of texts.

If Horizons has an Algebra 1 program, at least try it. Especially if changing at Prealgebra was a flop and you went back to Horizons for PreAlgebra. You will have plenty of time to "double up" or "go back over" Algebra if you start Algebra 1 in 7th. You can change publishers after Algebra 1 and still redo Algebra 1 if you want to.