Menu

University of California admission by exam...

Awesome.

These answers made me smile.

My son is homeschooled independently and verifying the a through g would be a royal pain at this stage of the game (fall of his junior year). I was looking at his test scores and realized it might be an option to go the exam route if he could do well on 2 SAT II tests in the spring. Until now, the plan had been to go the community college route or out-of-state.

I applied on a lark, I was a junior in high school so I hadn't finished my four years of English. If I hadn't been accepted I would have done another year of high school. Yeah, I had to take a few extra SAT II, but if you are UC material, that shouldn't be the end of the world. If it isn't terribly inconvenient, it seems like it would be worthwhile to apply. If you have other options, the worst that can happen is they say no.

I was accepted at UCLA and Berkeley. I've read on other threads that admission by examination is very competitive. I had no idea at the time. My stats seemed comparable to other kids from my class who were accepted under the more conventional route the following year. (I grew up in the Bay Area, we sent 10 or 12 kids to Berkeley every year. From a class of 140 I knew these kids well.)

Geometry can no longer be tested out for A-G requirements though

"NOTE: Effective for fall 2015 applicants (students applying to UC in November 2014), all students must complete a geometry course; SAT Math exam will not satisfy a year of geometry."

Right. The geometry change is one reason I don't want to verify "a through g" because it would probably mean him retaking geometry at the community college. Plus, it is a lot of testing to verify especially starting this late in the game.

Hence, my thought to go the admission by exam route. The formula is based on SAT or ACT plus 2 SAT II tests.

I applied on a lark, I was a junior in high school so I hadn't finished my four years of English. If I hadn't been accepted I would have done another year of high school. Yeah, I had to take a few extra SAT II, but if you are UC material, that shouldn't be the end of the world. If it isn't terribly inconvenient, it seems like it would be worthwhile to apply. If you have other options, the worst that can happen is they say no.

I was accepted at UCLA and Berkeley. I've read on other threads that admission by examination is very competitive. I had no idea at the time. My stats seemed comparable to other kids from my class who were accepted under the more conventional route the following year. (I grew up in the Bay Area, we sent 10 or 12 kids to Berkeley every year. From a class of 140 I knew these kids well.)

Thanks, this is helpful.

Based on the current formula, the average score on each part of the SAT plus each of the SAT II tests would be around the 93rd percentile. Which is pretty high, but not off the chart unattainable. It seemed reasonable given the requirements for the standard admissions process.

Does your CC have a geometry course?  A lot of them don't.

You know, I didn't even check. I looked at the a through g back when he started his freshman year, realized what a pain it would be to verify as an independent homeschooler, and decided we just wouldn't go that route. Now that we are looking at it a little closer, the geometry glitch was yet another reason not to second guess. The admission by exam is far more doable IMO.

It does make me wonder why the UC's are insisting so much on geometry? I would be curious as to the back story there.

t does make me wonder why the UC's are insisting so much on geometry? I would be curious as to the back story there.

I have heard that the redesigned SAT that is coming out in 2016 won't have much (if any) geometry. So that may be the thinking of requiring a a-g credit specifically in geometry.

I personally object to the a-g system completely. No other state micromanages high school coursework of private and home schools to such an extent. Is there any evidence that having such a high level of micromanagement actually raises the chance of success at the college level?

I have heard that the redesigned SAT that is coming out in 2016 won't have much (if any) geometry. So that may be the thinking of requiring a a-g credit specifically in geometry.

I personally object to the a-g system completely. No other state micromanages high school coursework of private and home schools to such an extent. Is there any evidence that having such a high level of micromanagement actually raises the chance of success at the college level?

I dislike a through g as much as the next independent homeschooler, but as someone who taught at both community colleges and universities in the midwest, I completely get the logic of it.

In some (many) parts of the country, the state universities are being asked to do more remediation. Which is not their mission nor in their budget. Theoretically you can pass this off to the community colleges, but unless you have a tight system of regulating the coursework there, it is easy for the community college classes to morph into high school level academics.

If you regulate the high school curriculum and standardize the community college transfer classes: the problem isn't entirely solved but is certainly much more manageable.

Most of the students impacted by a through g are public school students. The independent homeschoolers are caught in the cross hairs. It's not because the UC's are out to "get" homeschoolers, so much homeschoolers don't seem to be on their radar. They have too many other pressing issues.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Your comment that perhaps the geometry requirement is related to the redesigned SAT makes sense to me.

I am curious what they will do in a few years as Common Core works its way through the high school years.  My understanding was that math was going to be much more integrated.  I was staffing a Naval Academy table recently here in California and was talking to a lot of high school students.  One of my standard questions is what math are they taking.  For many they are already doing a Math 1, Math 2, Math 3 type progression.  I have no idea how that will mesh with the UC insistence on a geometry course. 

Most of the students impacted by a through g are public school students. The independent homeschoolers are caught in the cross hairs. It's not because the UC's are out to "get" homeschoolers, so much homeschoolers don't seem to be on their radar. They have too many other pressing issues.

I am not sure about this. Maybe ten or fifteen years ago homeschoolers were not on their radar, but this is not the case anymore. There are too many homeschoolers in this state for them not to be on anyone's radar, and the truth is that by making it so hard for homeschoolers, the UC system is missing out on some great students. They could make exceptions for homeschoolers or, dare I say it, actually welcome them. Instead the a-g policy or entrance by exams is turning away more and more homeschoolers every year. The geometry requirement is the icing on the cake. Those who were considering working through all the red tape to get in now feel that there is really no point.

Geometry can no longer be tested out for A-G requirements though

"NOTE: Effective for fall 2015 applicants (students applying to UC in November 2014), all students must complete a geometry course; SAT Math exam will not satisfy a year of geometry."

Does this mean that as homeschoolers we need to have a course that is credited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges or something similar? I know AOPS's geometry is. Or can we follow the a-g requirements on our own without outsourcing?

For the UC system, I may just have to enroll DD in PS.

I dislike a through g as much as the next independent homeschooler, but as someone who taught at both community colleges and universities in the midwest, I completely get the logic of it.

In some (many) parts of the country, the state universities are being asked to do more remediation. Which is not their mission nor in their budget. Theoretically you can pass this off to the community colleges, but unless you have a tight system of regulating the coursework there, it is easy for the community college classes to morph into high school level academics.

If you regulate the high school curriculum and standardize the community college transfer classes: the problem isn't entirely solved but is certainly much more manageable.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Your comment that perhaps the geometry requirement is related to the redesigned SAT makes sense to me.

Part of it is that the UC's generally are trying to encourage students to start at community colleges (which use a placement test and are more set up to do remediation classes) and then transfer to a CSU/UC school. Those transfer agreements are in place and work pretty well.

Part of it, I think, is that the UCs just do not want to deal with non-standard students. Answer, force everyone to standardize according to *their* plan, or encourage them to go elsewhere. I think homeschoolers don't fit their square-peg expectations so they'd rather let someone else figure it out. JMHO. 

There is one UC that allows admission by portfolio, a process specifically designed for homeschool students. UC Riverside. And if you enroll there, you can transfer to another UC within the system. Just FYI.

For the UC system, I may just have to enroll DD in PS.

UCOP doorways has a search for approved geometry courses. I intend to just put my older boy into geometry for credit summer class at one of the private high schools for not that expensive "babysitting". Everything else on the A-G list can be test out by SAT/AP/Duel-enroll CC.

https://doorways.ucop.edu/list/app/home/

Off-topic - did you see the news about the UC fee hike protests?

ETA:

I enquire about the geometry course at UCScout but did not get any reply

http://www.ucscout.org/

Hence, my thought to go the admission by exam route. The formula is based on SAT or ACT plus 2 SAT II tests.

Misunderstood. Thought you meant test out of a-g requirements by exams.

Wonder how the UC will rank those who apply for admission by exam since those who want to test out of A-G would likely have at least two SAT II subject tests.

n some (many) parts of the country, the state universities are being asked to do more remediation. Which is not their mission nor in their budget. Theoretically you can pass this off to the community colleges, but unless you have a tight system of regulating the coursework there, it is easy for the community college classes to morph into high school level academics.

Is there any evidence that California students require less remediation than students with similar SAT/ACT scores in other states do? Or that college graduation rates are higher here?

Where I grew up in MA, the state university system just required X years of college prep coursework in a certain subject. They didn't try to micromanage which textbook the high schools used. As long as the high school labeled the course as college prep, it counted towards admissions.

Does this mean that as homeschoolers we need to have a course that is credited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges or something similar? I know AOPS's geometry is. Or can we follow the a-g requirements on our own without outsourcing?

I can't remember if it was AOPS or a local provider of math & science courses that tried to get UC approval for their courses and got denied on the grounds that they only offered math & science ones and were therefore considered a "supplementary" program. The educrats said that only providers who offer a full slate of a-g courses in multiple disciplines were eligible to apply for approval.

UCOP doorways has a search for approved geometry courses. I intend to just put my older boy into geometry for credit summer class at one of the private high schools for not that expensive "babysitting". Everything else on the A-G list can be test out by SAT/AP/Duel-enroll CC.

ETA:

I enquire about the geometry course at UCScout but did not get any reply

I checked a local PS school around us, and I can't enroll DD in their summer geometry class - it's for kids who didn't do well in geometry during the school year.

Off to see the cheapest private summer school....

I am not sure about this. Maybe ten or fifteen years ago homeschoolers were not on their radar, but this is not the case anymore. There are too many homeschoolers in this state for them not to be on anyone's radar, and the truth is that by making it so hard for homeschoolers, the UC system is missing out on some great students. They could make exceptions for homeschoolers or, dare I say it, actually welcome them. Instead the a-g policy or entrance by exams is turning away more and more homeschoolers every year. The geometry requirement is the icing on the cake. Those who were considering working through all the red tape to get in now feel that there is really no point.

I know quite a few high school age students homeschooled via charters, but far fewer homeschooled independently. That could just be a fluke of where I live. In terms of total numbers, the independent high school students are a pretty small %.

Wonder how the UC will rank those who apply for admission by exam since those who want to test out of A-G would likely have at least two SAT II subject tests.

Someone correct me on this, but I think when a student applies to a UC it is done by category: a through g, exam, exception. Once the student picks the category, I am not sure the admissions people necessarily communicate across categories.

It would be interesting to know.

I can't remember if it was AOPS or a local provider of math & science courses that tried to get UC approval for their courses and got denied on the grounds that they only offered math & science ones and were therefore considered a "supplementary" program. The educrats said that only providers who offer a full slate of a-g courses in multiple disciplines were eligible to apply for approval.

I just checked AOPS at the UC doorways link but didn't see it listed. Huh?

I think if it is Western Association of Schools and Colleges credited we can take the transcript from a provider like AOPS to a local PS school rather than taking the school's placement test, perhaps?

Between the hoop jumping, the general attitude that students who don't have A-G experiences must prove their acceptability, the social and political weirdness on some campuses and the perception that the UC system is in perilous economic straits, I'm not recommending that my kids bother to apply.

Were we to be long time CA residents with deep ties to some of the schools and the hope of in state resident rates, I might feel differently.  But overall UC leaves me with a big "whatever" feeling.  Of course that perception is also colored by a speech I heard several years back with the President of Stanford, who said that regardless of what curriculum they used, in his opinion homeschoolers simply lacked "intellectual curiosity".  While I hope those were his personal feelings and that they don't reflect the views of the university as a whole, it left a bad taste in my mouth for the whole California university industry.  (I realize that Stanford isn't part of UC.  But I don't think his attitude was exceptional.)

I know quite a few high school age students homeschooled via charters, but far fewer homeschooled independently. That could just be a fluke of where I live. In terms of total numbers, the independent high school students are a pretty small %.

I don't think this is unique to where you live.  In San Diego, I've met far more "homeschoolers" who use charter schools than who file independently.  In fact when I tell people that I homeschool, 9 times out of 10 the follow up question is what school we use. 

It actually caused some real headaches when I was registering my son for math at the local community college.  They admit high school students, but insisted that I needed to be able to provide them with proof of which charter school I was using.  I finally got past that particular uninformed person, but it was unnecessarily complicated.

I have actually found the opposite to be true amongst my homeschool friends where I live. Once the kids get to high school they all pull them out of the charter schools because they do not like the limited choices made by the a-g requirements. For some it feels like a choice between more rigorous and interesting classes or get it done a-g classes. 

I don't think this is unique to where you live.  In San Diego, I've met far more "homeschoolers" who use charter schools than who file independently.  In fact when I tell people that I homeschool, 9 times out of 10 the follow up question is what school we use. 

It actually caused some real headaches when I was registering my son for math at the local community college.  They admit high school students, but insisted that I needed to be able to provide them with proof of which charter school I was using.  I finally got past that particular uninformed person, but it was unnecessarily complicated.

It's funny because I am in Orange County, and I have not found this to be true. Maybe I just have like-minded parents around me or something, but in my little homeschool sphere no one is using a charter for high school (although most do for their younger kids), and no one had any trouble registering as independent homeschoolers at Irvine Valley College. It would annoy me to no end if the community college just assumed we were with a charter. 

I have actually found the opposite to be true amongst my homeschool friends where I live. Once the kids get to high school they all pull them out of the charter schools because they do not like the limited choices made by the a-g requirements. For some it feels like a choice between more rigorous and interesting classes or get it done a-g classes.

Interesting.

We have homeschooled independently from the get-go so the thought of dealing with a through g was enough to make me break out in hives.

However, I have a younger child who may or not may not want to attend high school, and with that kind of ambivalence, I will consider a charter for him. It's just too hard in our area to switch to public high schol midstream without the charter in place.

Between the hoop jumping, the general attitude that students who don't have A-G experiences must prove their acceptability, the social and political weirdness on some campuses and the perception that the UC system is in perilous economic straits, I'm not recommending that my kids bother to apply.

Were we to be long time CA residents with deep ties to some of the schools and the hope of in state resident rates, I might feel differently.  But overall UC leaves me with a big "whatever" feeling.  Of course that perception is also colored by a speech I heard several years back with the President of Stanford, who said that regardless of what curriculum they used, in his opinion homeschoolers simply lacked "intellectual curiosity".  While I hope those were his personal feelings and that they don't reflect the views of the university as a whole, it left a bad taste in my mouth for the whole California university industry.  (I realize that Stanford isn't part of UC.  But I don't think his attitude was exceptional.)

I am meh about the UC's too but ds is pretty certain he wants to do engineering and it's tough to ignore they have some excellent engineering programs.

Funny story about Stanford. I recently took the kids there on a fieldtrip to a mechanical engineering lab. Fabulous fieldtrip. And, yes, we were the first homeschool group through that particular lab. Ever. The professor was awesome with the kids, and she especially took time to encourage my daughter. Who knows, maybe attitudes are changing. Hope springs eternal.

I am meh about the UC's too but ds is pretty certain he wants to do engineering and it's tough to ignore they have some excellent engineering programs.

Funny story about Stanford. I recently took the kids there on a fieldtrip to a mechanical engineering lab. Fabulous fieldtrip. And, yes, we were the first homeschool group through that particular lab. Ever. The professor was awesome with the kids, and she especially took time to encourage my daughter. Who knows, maybe attitudes are changing. Hope springs eternal.

That would be nice. I do know a homeschooler who was accepted into Stanford so it's not impossible. And the speech I heard was around the time of a lawsuit over excluding students who had used ABeka. But it was such a catagorical and in my mind dumb comment that it had a huge impact on me.

There are definitely some great programs. But there is great stuff happening at Purdue and Virginia Tech and a lot of other schools to.

Maybe it's just sour grapes.

That would be nice. I do know a homeschooler who was accepted into Stanford so it's not impossible. And the speech I heard was around the time of a lawsuit over excluding students who had used ABeka. But it was such a catagorical and in my mind dumb comment that it had a huge impact on me.

There are definitely some great programs. But there is great stuff happening at Purdue and Virginia Tech and a lot of other schools to.

Maybe it's just sour grapes.

LOL.

Pretty sure none of my crew will by applying to Stanford. My kids are bright but not off the charts gifted, and certainly not as intense/driven as what Stanford seems to attract.

Dh and I are fortunate in that we have 3 large state alma maters between us (not in CA) that offer decent scholarships to children of alumni. So we will definitely be working that angle too. I would agree that there are good engineering schools across the US. It has taken me awhile to stop ignoring the ones currently in our own backyard.

I'll get back with you if it turns into sour grapes for us too.

In the UC's defense, things have gotten somewhat easier for homeschoolers. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was applying in 1996 I don't think you could use a subject test to get out of an individual a-g requirement. It was either take the classes or get eligibility through examination. I was only missing the fourth year of English, now I could just use my SAT reading score to test out of that one requirement.

I understand the frustration over Geometry. I blame the college board for removing the subject from the SATs. It was my favorite section of the Math test. Does the Math SAT II still have Geometry? If it does they should accept that as satisfying the requirement.

That goes against what Stanford's admissions office wrote in the alumni association magazine: https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=39384

That goes against what Stanford's admissions office wrote in the alumni association magazine: https://alumni.stanford.edu/get/page/magazine/article/?article_id=39384

I suspect Professor Reich's comments are the ones closest to the mark. "Cautious support."

Cough, cough.

That has been my experience within the highly educated subcultures of this part of the country. They support it...maybe...kinda....sorta...as long as you are not a religious nut...and have some letters after your name...and...and...

In my professional work this kind of ambivalence is the norm.

My daughter just graduated from Stanford this spring. She doesn't hide her homeschooling past; in fact, she's openly proud of it, and she felt quite supported and welcomed there.

My daughter just graduated from Stanford this spring. She doesn't hide her homeschooling past; in fact, she's openly proud of it, and she felt quite supported and welcomed there.

That's awesome.

In fairness I should add that one of my kids is doing a program through Stanford's SPICE and I have no reason to think homeschooling was held against him when he applied.

I am feeling rather emotionally worn with our pending move and am probably crosser than is warranted at the moment.

That's awesome.

In fairness I should add that one of my kids is doing a program through Stanford's SPICE and I have no reason to think homeschooling was held against him when he applied.

I am feeling rather emotionally worn with our pending move and am probably crosser than is warranted at the moment.

Do you remember which president made that comment? Just curious whether or not it was Hennessy, whom I only met briefly at dorm move-in day. The Stanford admissions office has a track record of being friendly to homeschoolers. When dd was deciding where to attend, we flew out to Admit weekend at Stanford that April. There was one adcom at the time who read all of the homeschool applications, and he had a picnic lunch with his admitted group of kids where he praised homeschooling & all the cool opportunities these kids had taken part in as a result. My friend who had a homeschooler at Yale (about a decade ago) reported quite the opposite experience. He was the only homeschooled kid in his class, and he always felt kind of weird about it.

I read about your upcoming move, Sebastian. Hugs to you!! How stressful that must be! Glad to hear that your son is enjoying his SPICE program, and good luck on handling the upheaval once again. Dd is just settling into her second apartment in San Diego & loving it there so far. :)

Of course that perception is also colored by a speech I heard several years back with the President of Stanford, who said that regardless of what curriculum they used, in his opinion homeschoolers simply lacked "intellectual curiosity".  

Have you seen this?  Of course, it's from 2000.

ETA: I would help if I were to read all of the posts first--I see that Crimson Wife beat me to it!

ETA:

I enquire about the geometry course at UCScout but did not get any reply

So if I were to sign up for Wilson Hill Academy's Geometry class which uses Jurgensen's Geometry, that's not good enough for UC (could not find this online class on doorways), I will still need to enroll DD in a summer class in a private school for credit or dual enroll in CC, correct?

I was planning to just enroll her next summer in a private school but that would be her first exposure to a high school geometry textbook at a breakneck pace. I think it's a 5-week course, and I'm assuming that I need to show this grade to UC (or to PS).

Maybe ten or fifteen years ago homeschoolers were not on their radar, but this is not the case anymore. There are too many homeschoolers in this state for them not to be on anyone's radar, and the truth is that by making it so hard for homeschoolers, the UC system is missing out on some great students. 

I'm guessing the UCs don't care as much about attracting homeschoolers as they care about attracting out-of-state/out-of-country students who pay full freight.  It's the sad outcome of declining state funding for UCs.  

I wonder how foreign students and non-Californians deal with a-g?  

I'm guessing the UCs don't care as much about attracting homeschoolers as they care about attracting out-of-state/out-of-country students who pay full freight.  It's the sad outcome of declining state funding for UCs.  

I wonder how foreign students and non-Californians deal with a-g?

They don't.

Well, there is sort of an equivalent for the international students. The UC's map out a general course of high school study, then have country specific requirements. Since most countries are heavily exam based, it probably even more standardized than those doing a through g.

Someone correct me on this, but I think when a student applies to a UC it is done by category: a through g, exam, exception. Once the student picks the category, I am not sure the admissions people necessarily communicate across categories.

It would be interesting to know.

I don't have time to post much now, but my son (independent, "private school" R-4/PSA homeschooler) was accepted last year at all four UCs to which he applied, and he was missing several of the a-g subject areas ... and some of the rest of the areas were iffy (since he'd taken CSU & CC classes in those subjects, albeit at much higher levels than what is tested on the subject tests). (During high school we didn't worry one nanosecond about the a-g requirements b/c the UCs were just backup schools, if that.)

The process is as clear as mud (as with the a-g/CC issue). I can tell you that nowhere on the UC application is there a mechanism for indicating how the student wishes to apply (admission by exam, by exception, ELC, a-g, etc.). I called more than one UC admissions office and was told by someone (UCI?) that my son should just fill out the application, give all his stats and coursework, and "they'd figure it out." I'm not sure how the process works after that -- if his application is shunted off to an evaluator who deals specifically with homeschoolers & other non-standard applicants, or if it is tagged as "admission by exam" (or whatever), or something else entirely ...

I do know several homeschoolers who were admitted to UCs (here on this board, in various yahoo groups I'm a member of, and in real life), and my son has met some now that he's enrolled at a UC. The general consensus seems to be that the higher up the "food chain" you go (with the exception of UC Riverside), the more accommodating the UCs are of homeschoolers -- i.e., Berkeley and UCLA are the most accepting of "outside the box" kids, whereas other UCs require more documentation (& are less likely to even admit the student**). (I've posted about my conversation with UC San Diego on this board or on the College Board). My son was a Regents candidate at Berkeley, as were several other homeschooled students we know. They certainly seemed very welcoming to homeschoolers.

And yes, the UCs were just backups for my son, but he chose UC Berkeley and LOVES LOVES LOVES it. And frankly, compared with the prices of some of the private schools out there, it's a better value than we thought at first. Honestly, I can't say enough in praise of this school -- my son is getting an absolutely fantastic education and just in the first few months of school has met many amazing professors and students. I'm happy to provide more details later (after this busy weekend!). Also, I know I owe several people on this board PMs about UC admissions (from last spring/summer -- eek!) -- life has settled down a bit now and I will be responding soon. (Feel free to send me a reminder PM.) As I said, I am now a firm supporter of the UCs (well, Berkeley, at least!), and am happy to answer questions about the (very opaque) admissions process (at least, my son's experience, FWIW).

** ETA: Adding a bit of detail -- we know of one young man, very smart, who was accepted at MIT, Caltech, Berkeley, UCLA, and denied at ... UC Santa Cruz??  :confused:  And my son, while a Regents candidate at Berkeley, and recipient of a large scholarship at UCLA (close to full tuition), was not given Regents or even Honors College at UC Irvine ... Way to make sure he doesn't enroll there! Perhaps that is the so-called Tufts syndrome?

Have you seen this?  Of course, it's from 2000.

ETA: I would help if I were to read all of the posts first--I see that Crimson Wife beat me to it!

The article was one of the things that helped me convince my then-skeptical DH to give HSing a try back in '06. "See, honey? Stanford just loves homeschoolers!"