Menu

High School Spanish question

Dd14 is currently taking Latin 2 from Lone Pine.  While she is doing well, she is not liking it as much as she did Latin I and she feels that she has to spend the most time on the subject she enjoys the least.  She wants to switch to Spanish next year.  She is attending high school part time and we may have her take Spanish there.  However, with her strong Latin background I am concerned Spanish 1 would be too easy.  Also, from what other families around here have told me, most of the more motivated students take Spanish in junior high and end up in Spanish 2 their freshman year.  And they have special sections for those who have already taken it.  Spanish 1 is usually filled with your less motivated kids.  Dd finds them tiresome.  I have a background in Spanish (minored in it in college several decades ago) and I think that the Latin she has done thus far will definitely serve her well for Spanish.  Other than speaking, I think she could learn the content of a Spanish 1 course in just a few months.  What options would there be for a condensed Spanish class where I could help her, but she would have an outside teacher?  Yes, I have a background, but I am very rusty and I know that we would fall behind our goals without an outside structure.  Any ideas? 

The high school does have summer school and I believe that they do offer Spanish, but they have a very strict attendance policy and we may have to take 4-5 days off due to a competition in the summer.